DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Have any sales figures for the AEW game been released?  I watched someone play it for a bit yesterday and mostly feel like you have to obsessively love AEW to spend a lot of time with it.  I’ve having trouble imagining casual gamers staying with it in 2023.  I’d be interested in talking to the developers, though.  A lot of the design decisions seem curious.

Edited by Doc Townsend

I had some fun out of Fight Forever, but it’s definitely for the hardcore AEW fan. If you’ve played road to elite twice, it kind of gets repetitive (unlike for example No Mercy’s story mode).

Still haven’t unlocked Brodie or Big Show (or Owen). Doubt if I ever will. I play a match once or twice if I have some down time, but the game definitely missed out on some simple tweaks to the match options (dq’s, count-outs, elimination option, two out of three, etc)

• Like 1

So I made a Mongo CAW and ran him through Road to the Elite which unlocked 2 of the story paths I didn't get to in previous playthroughs. I've ran through all of the scenarios now so I don't think there's too much meat on the bone.

• 3 weeks later...

Of the systems I have I didn't think I would get much use out of the PC version of FF.  But the mods have gotten so damn good that it is a literal game-changer (and I hate using that term so I mean it when saying that)  It gets a lot more replayability out of it and feels more like a regular wrestling match.  By no means is this Fire Pro or anything but it's a huge leap forward.  I just wish they would find a way to work with those who make this and see how to add it to the base game.

Spoiler

This mod tweaks a lot of gameplay parameters including:

- Player Health and Limb Stamina increased;
- Passive Skills tweaked (momentum nerfed, but things like Finisher reversals buffed);
- Signature damage reduced;
- Time-based Momentum boost postponed to later in the match (and nerfed slightly);
- Deathmatch Explosion timer changed from 2 minutes to 7 minutes;
- Match Scoring changed to reflect longer matches with more moves;
- Signatures and Finishers now remove less Momentum from opponent;
- Desperation technique now available at higher Momentum (40% rather than 5%);
- 20 hits to win Ladder Mini Game (increased from 10);
- Fixed issue with Damage Multiplier for Finishers;
- Chain Wrestling now available up to 50% health (rather than becoming unavailable at 75% health) - also tweaked Momentum for this;
- Taunting is slightly less effective;
- Winner gets up slightly quicker after successful pin (1 second rather than 2 seconds ... although I'm not convinced this change has worked);
- Can now manually bounce off the ropes 4 times rather than just once;
- Hot Tags enabled;

Instead of matches lasting 3 to 5 minutes, they should last between 6 and 10 minutes (with kick-outs of finishers, etc, if they're performed too early).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Fight Forever got an update!   Some of the cheese has been nerfed, some bugfixes, shadow characters added to CAW, all minigames unlocked (who read my post???), purchased teams (FTR) can now be added as a team with a button press instead of having to create them, etc.

There have also been "Season 2" leaks online in the past few days, such as the addition of The Acclaimed and Tony Storm, possibly cage matches, new arenas like modern Dynamite, a new ladder-type mode like MK, and, I hope, more CAW stuff and other fixes people have been asking for.  I'm really happy they haven't abandoned this game. 

I do wonder if we get more seasons like they said we would and if, eventually, people who have left AEW (Jade) or have been fired (Punk) will eventually be removed.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I don't think they'll remove anybody and that would open up a can of worms that's best left not to do.  But I have a hard time paying attention to those who said they abandoned the game.  I know nothing about game development yet if they're going to announce something then I'd rather they get pretty close to having things ironed out before doing so.  Those things take time and I'm sure they had the mindset of getting the game out there and adding more as time goes on.  I like the WWE 2K series but with this not being a yearly thing they have time to get it right.

Finished "The Lock" MyRise mode on 2k23. Feels a little unsatisfying you don't get to beat Slade in the end. I'm going through the women's story now with a Julia Hart download I got. I get that some people don't like the simulation style of the 2K games but I really appreciate the depth and the options you have for attacking your opponent. 

22 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I get that some people don't like the simulation style of the 2K games

Personally, I wish they'd lean a lot more into the simulation aspect. I haven't played '23, but there are a lot of common pro wrestling tropes that are way too hard to instantiate in '22.

• Like 1

Finished off The Legacy story in MyRise it was pretty fun. Might run it back and go with the option of leaving your partner next time. I'm working through the Showcase with Cena.

Anyone get the Season 2 pass for Fight Forever? I have some PSN credits from gift cards I got a work (pays to be helpful I guess) so I have money to burn. 

What’s the deal with the WWE 2K games not being available for Switch? I don’t follow the video game industry or anything, so I’m pretty ignorant to this stuff. My son had mentioned that he’d like WWE 2K24 for Xmas, and we have a Switch. Looked for it and nada. 

9 minutes ago, Log said:

What’s the deal with the WWE 2K games not being available for Switch? I don’t follow the video game industry or anything, so I’m pretty ignorant to this stuff. My son had mentioned that he’d like WWE 2K24 for Xmas, and we have a Switch. Looked for it and nada. 

2K made a horrible port of 2K18, didn't really support it, and opted not to release anything after that. 2K also isn't the most involved publisher in the world, so if it takes a major development revamp, they aren't interested in doing it. (Their NBA 2K ports are really sloppy too.)

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 6:41 PM, tbarrie said:

Personally, I wish they'd lean a lot more into the simulation aspect. I haven't played '23, but there are a lot of common pro wrestling tropes that are way too hard to instantiate in '22.

I pretty much abandoned WWE2K23 after exhausting the very enjoyable GM Mode. I hadn't played a WWE game since 2K19 and the lack of that game's chain wrestling mechanic in '23 has been a deal breaker for me. I honestly couldn't give a shit about the current television product (WWE or AEW) and the way they've 'informed' wrestling games with spot monkey arcade controls and shitty storyline modes is increasingly alienating me.

• 2 weeks later...

New AEW Fight Forever DLC is released, previously mentioned as being similar to Mortal Kombat Towers, "Beat the Elite" mode.

"In the new, highly competitive Beat the Elite gameplay mode, Fight Forever players will face 10 random AEW talents. The last match will always be against a wrestler from The Elite. Win all 10 matches & you'll be rewarded with in-game cosmetic items."

On 11/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, No Point Stance said:

I pretty much abandoned WWE2K23 after exhausting the very enjoyable GM Mode.

Care to tell me more about the GM Mode? I've been exclusively using Universe Mode on '22, but I turned off Rivalries entirely because the stuff the computer comes up with is so stupid.

I'm asking now because '23 is currently 85% off (maybe only for people who own '22; I'm unclear on that point). Paying full price for the WWE series every year seems crazy to me - they just don't change enough year to year to justify the cost - but at under twenty bucks Canadian, I'm leaning towards trying it out.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:15 PM, tbarrie said:

Care to tell me more about the GM Mode? I've been exclusively using Universe Mode on '22, but I turned off Rivalries entirely because the stuff the computer comes up with is so stupid.

It's not that it's especially deep, although you are nicely able to manage a range of promotional tools (using your budget to prioritise the size of venues you're booking, the level of production setup, social media and advertising, etc) but I found it hugely addictive for a few weeks. It has a finite yearly cycle but you have the option to continue a year at a time after that. Your promotion runs in competition with 1-3 CPU general managers or online friends. You can play as many of the matches as you want, once booked, or none at all. Ultimately you're trying to build feuds that draw at the gate and garner high match ratings while outdrawing your rivals. A single card can easily take 5-10 minutes to set up, depending on what parameters you need to meet (and factors like injuries to your roster, etc), so it can be slow going, but if it's discounted that heavily I say absolutely snap it up for the GM mode if nothing else.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hooked up the N64 last weekend, and my son is hooked on VPW2. He’s wrecking fools as Vader. We’ve been making some fun CAWs, too. Found a good AJ Styles, Hogan (all old-school versions, no Hollywood), Sting and Okada so far. 

• Like 4

I really need to get a wireless N64 controller and put VPW2 back on my SteamDeck. I love that game more than any of the American clones of the game. Tag matches are more tolerable in VPW2 than any of the WCW or WWF games, too. Which is huge for me, because I usually hate tag matches in wrestling games.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, Casey said:

I really need to get a wireless N64 controller and put VPW2 back on my SteamDeck. I love that game more than any of the American clones of the game. Tag matches are more tolerable in VPW2 than any of the WCW or WWF games, too. Which is huge for me, because I usually hate tag matches in wrestling games.

Whenever I see anyone say something like "No Mercy was the best wrestling game for N64" I have to jump in and correct them. that it's actually VPW2  Sure, it was cool to have the updated roster and do shit like ladder matches and double teams like the 3D. But, the slowdown in tag matches and especially tag team ladder matches was the deal breaker for me.  I'll be eagerly awaiting the release of Ultra Pro Wrestlng, sometime this year.

• Like 2

is that her debut theme song? That shit slaps, so I’m not mad. Yes I know she’s a totally different character now, but still… that song is fucking great.

I also won’t be buying the new season pass until it’s half off or more, so… there’s also that. I haven’t touched Fight Forever in ages.