Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Recommended Posts

Might as well start this.  From Chicago, here's the first AEW PPV of 2020.  

The card:

FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Chris Jericho (c) vs. Jon Moxley

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Nyla Rose (c) vs. Kris Statlander

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Hangman Page & Kenny Omega vs. ? 

Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin

Jake Hager vs. Dustin Rhodes

MJF vs. Cody Rhodes *

--

Updated as they announce

* - Probable (Cody must not touch MJF until the match begins.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hangman/Omega vs. Young Bucks seems pretty likely. Some combo of Dark Order vs. SCU too. That could end up as Daniels vs. Uno or all of SCU vs. Stu and the 2 Jobbers with Uno lurking outside, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned it in the general AEW thread but it's still wonderfully surreal to have a wrestling PPV party that people are excited about.  And it was all my friend's idea at that which considering she's been a lapsed fan just made me smile the biggest smile I could.  It feels damn good doing this again.

As for the show the general consensus seems to be that it's too early for Jericho to lose yet too early for Jon to win.  Considering that Chris had the title since last summer I personally think it'd be a good time for him to lose it.  Now if he keeps it due to some fuckery then I'd have Darby or Jungle Boy win it in the summer.  As for MJF he's gonna get his ass beat and it will be outstanding.  If they were to end the feud now (not happening) then Cody should make it a strap match and beat the shit out of him.  But assuming they're going to extend the feud that type of match can be built up for the future.  And I can see Hangman/Omega vs. Bucks with them either patching things up or somebody going full-on heel.

The fact that I don't know the obvious outcomes for these three matches going in is freaking great and I'm really curious to see how this all plays out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's how I want Hangman/Omega vs The Bucks to end: Hangman/Omega win, Bucks act like assholes in defeat, they cool down, Omega shakes hands with the Bucks, the Bucks don't want anything to do with Hangman, Hangman is like "no, no, come on," Matt and Nick extend their hands, Hangman lariats one and gives the other the Dead Eye, Omega looks on in disbelief, Hangman hands Omega his belt, crowd goes fucking wild.

DTA YOU DUMB SONUVABITCH!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they don't try and make him a full-on heel I'm all for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's anyone's best interest if Hangman goes full Stone Cold. I think there's more potential with heel Bucks, and Hangman/Omega being clear faces. I bet the pop for Hangman dropping his beer and saving Omega from a Bucks beatdown would be off the charts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're going to get some fuckery in either the Cody match or the title match. As seen with Cody/Jericho, I imagine the one that doesn't close the show will have said fuckery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it'll be good for the company's second tag team champions to A) vacate the belts after one defense or B) be wacky Russo-ass partners who fight.  Gotta build belts up before doing goofy shit with them.

Likewise, I have no idea what they should do in the world title match.  I don't feel like Jericho should lose yet, but I also don't feel like ending Jericho's second major defense with another finish via fuckery would be good.  I also don't feel like Moxley is the guy.  So no idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I think you're going to get some fuckery in either the Cody match or the title match. As seen with Cody/Jericho, I imagine the one that doesn't close the show will have said fuckery.

Ugh, I blame Bully Ray for this, but he put this idea out there on Busted Open. Or maybe it was Tommy Dreamer. Anyway, they're like, "what if Cody doesn't make it to Revolution?" They then proceed to go into how AEW dips a lot into the old school and they ask what happened when Dusty took on, uh, name escapes me, in the cage. They broke Dusty's leg and then Dusty was out of action. So what if the same happens to Cody and the cage match against Wardlow turns into a slaughter where Cody pulls off the victory, but is then brutally attacked and Cody is stretchered out and then he's out for months. Then you put off Cody vs MJF until Double or Nothing.

I really, really, really want to see Cody vs MJF NOW. I don't want to wait all the way until May to get that match. At the same time, that's just some classic, old school booking and it wouldn't surprise me if TK, Cody, and MJF went in that direction. If they do, I wonder how fans with their short attention spans would respond to delayed gratification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly would also hurt them in PPV sales, especially after the money angle last week. It's the hottest thing they've got for the PPV. There's been a lot of good in the Mox/Jericho feud but it doesn't have the same weight to it because it's hard to associate with hobo weirdo Jon Moxley and Jericho is fun. Not a fan of that idea.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think it'll be good for the company's second tag team champions to A) vacate the belts after one defense or B) be wacky Russo-ass partners who fight.  Gotta build belts up before doing goofy shit with them.

Likewise, I have no idea what they should do in the world title match.  I don't feel like Jericho should lose yet, but I also don't feel like ending Jericho's second major defense with another finish via fuckery would be good.  I also don't feel like Moxley is the guy.  So no idea.

By nearly every metric except for merch sales (Jericho is the king of merch), Moxley is the guy. He's the only person in the company who hasn't lost viewers for any segment he's been in and he's gained viewers for every segment he's been in. He's white hot at the moment. Moxley is the guy right now, but I think the bigger concern are all the risks with him. He's constantly traveling to and from Japan to work NJPW dates and that has to take a toll on the dude. If you put the top title on him, you're almost beginning for the title situation to get fucked up when he gets hurt or sick or whatever. If they hold off for that reason, then I understand.

At the same time, you have Darby and Hangman who are rocket strapped. AEW has a wealth of options for Jericho to put over. Moxley probably doesn't need it, but if you don't put the title on Moxley now, does that hurt their audience?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Ugh, I blame Bully Ray for this, but he put this idea out there on Busted Open. Or maybe it was Tommy Dreamer. Anyway, they're like, "what if Cody doesn't make it to Revolution?" They then proceed to go into how AEW dips a lot into the old school and they ask what happened when Dusty took on, uh, name escapes me, in the cage. They broke Dusty's leg and then Dusty was out of action. So what if the same happens to Cody and the cage match against Wardlow turns into a slaughter where Cody pulls off the victory, but is then brutally attacked and Cody is stretchered out and then he's out for months. Then you put off Cody vs MJF until Double or Nothing.

I really, really, really want to see Cody vs MJF NOW. I don't want to wait all the way until May to get that match. At the same time, that's just some classic, old school booking and it wouldn't surprise me if TK, Cody, and MJF went in that direction. If they do, I wonder how fans with their short attention spans would respond to delayed gratification.

That's a pretty cool idea for an angle and we could get friends of Cody trying to get revenge in the interim.  I mean shit, if Cody can't get title matches, they need to stretch out his storylines.

Great point about ADD type fans possibly not being into it, though.  I'm still blown away by fans who came up with late 90s WCW and Attitude era and up WWE, who are used to hot potato title reigns, talking about how Jericho has probably held the belt long enough.  I'm not old enough to have been around for Sammartino but I remember Hogan being champ for four years when I first started watching.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wonder how Bully and/or Tommy have such great booking ideas when they're talking about wrestling on Busted Open, but when they've had the book in ECW (Tommy and Bully), WWE (Tommy), and ROH (Bully), their ideas have been complete and utter dogshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they need the match for the PPV, but MJF also needs to go over even if he gets the piss beaten out of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I always wonder how Bully and/or Tommy have such great booking ideas when they're talking about wrestling on Busted Open, but when they've had the book in ECW (Tommy and Bully), WWE (Tommy), and ROH (Bully), their ideas have been complete and utter dogshit.

My guess is there's no pressure in just spitballing and fantasy booking, while IRL booking comes with so many masters to serve (other workers wanting storylines, guys bitching about going under, company politics and bullshit, sponsors, etc) that even the best ideas go sideways or end up not happening.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Moxley is the guy right now, but I think the bigger concern are all the risks with him. He's constantly traveling to and from Japan to work NJPW dates and that has to take a toll on the dude. If you put the top title on him, you're almost beginning for the title situation to get fucked up when he gets hurt or sick or whatever. If they hold off for that reason, then I understand.

 

Is his current schedule any worse than what he was working in WWE? Him getting hurt or sick could seemingly happen anywhere, any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eivion said:

Is his current schedule any worse than what he was working in WWE? Him getting hurt or sick could seemingly happen anywhere, any time.

His elbow is still a ticking time bomb. From what I understand, he didn't have the bursa sac removed. Then you add in all of the travel to and from Japan. Extremely long flights, bodies with infections don't respond very well to that, working a date in Japan, flying back here, making a date for AEW, probably then flying back to Las Vegas, etc. Dude is probably going to be glowing from all the radiation he's being exposed to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn`t feel like time for Jericho to drop the belt yet, but Moxley is the best guy to drop it to right now. Can they extend the feud to Double or Nothing without doing an extremely shitty finish? I'm not sure. 

Re: Hangman - drinking beer is as far down the Steve Austin road you need to go with him. I would have them retain the titles with Page getting the win while Omega is "hurt" on the floor. Bucks attack Page post match, set up a return bout for Double or Nothing, where the Bucks take the title because Omega turns on Page. Would take some work keeping the Bucks from fighting Omega until Double or Nothing though. Idea needs work. 🤣

I feel they booked MJF-Cody in the wrong order. MJF should win the first match by cheating his ass off, and then make Cody jump through hoops to get a rematch. Right now, he has already jumped through the hoops. Where does the story go after the PPV?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jericho/Moxley doesn't need a fuck finish for Jericho to retain. Hype up Mox's lack of peripheral vision and have Chris hit a sneaky Judas Effect on his blind side for a flash pin. Then they can do the rematch down the road when Mox has both eyes.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to say, with Jericho, you don't really need a fuck finish since he has the Judas Effect that he can hit out of nowhere. And like Godfrey said, Mox's vision is impaired.

I also like Dewar's idea of stretching out the Hangman stuff. I would be fine if he laid out the Bucks after the Bucks turn heel at Revolution, but no matter what happens, Kenny needs to be the guy caught in the middle until, like Dewar said, Kenny turns on Hangman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can’t end the $50 ppv on a bs finish and they know it. Too soon for Jericho to lose, he’s the perfect champion right now. Keep riding the wave. I agree though that Moxley is red hot and it’s not great for him to lose, but they can get around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get where you guys are coming from but I think turning Omega and the Bucks heel would be incredibly difficult and there may be resentment towards Hangman from the diehard Elite fans (probably a sizable chunk of their viewership). It's tough but I think the end game is Bucks as champs after miscommunication & Hangman vs. Omega at DoN. I think you can build it fairly straightforwardly, with both men thinking they're in the right. I'm fine with Omega going heel though because he's at his best when he's pissed off and has a chip on his shoulder. He's been in cruise control because right now isn't his time to shine. That would certainly be the start of his ascent and help with the balance of heels/faces at the top, but I still don't see them doing it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, no 'turns' necessary - Bucks win leading to Omega-Page dissention - bingo bango we've got a Double or Nothing bout.  Page is already a tweener.  

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

"what if Cody doesn't make it to Revolution?" They then proceed to go into how AEW dips a lot into the old school and they ask what happened when Dusty took on, uh, name escapes me, in the cage. They broke Dusty's leg and then Dusty was out of action. So what if the same happens to Cody and the cage match against Wardlow turns into a slaughter where Cody pulls off the victory, but is then brutally attacked and Cody is stretchered out and then he's out for months. Then you put off Cody vs MJF until Double or Nothing.

I really, really, really want to see Cody vs MJF NOW. I don't want to wait all the way until May to get that match. At the same time, that's just some classic, old school booking and it wouldn't surprise me if TK, Cody, and MJF went in that direction. If they do, I wonder how fans with their short attention spans would respond to delayed gratification.

I dunno, that seems to me to be a great example why neither Bubba or Tommy has been particularly successful booking anywhere.  Drop your money match from the PPV?  Ridiculous.  When the Andersons broke Dusty's leg ppl believed it to be 'real'.  There's no 'real' anymore, and injury angles are rarely effective. 

Am I wrong there?  Is there a modern day injury angle that's worked particularly well?  When I think of injury angles, I think of bad acting and a prolonged hush that always makes me feel like 'enough, move the fuck on'.    
 

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Jericho/Moxley doesn't need a fuck finish for Jericho to retain. Hype up Mox's lack of peripheral vision and have Chris hit a sneaky Judas Effect on his blind side for a flash pin. Then they can do the rematch down the road when Mox has both eyes.

Yeah, I'm of the belief that impaired vision is going to be the 1-2-3 death of Mox, but they've got another unpredictable finish on their hands and I'm more than happy to spend $50 to see this prestigious bout.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think injury angles don't work because WWE has programmed you too think they don't work since Vince had an edict that wrestlers can't show that they're injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Luther(No mention of Nightmare Collective) just challenged Jimmy Havoc to what sounds like a death match. So that might be at Revolution, or for the pre-show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...