DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

• jaedmc locked this topic
  • jaedmc unlocked this topic

What a show. I’m not gonna do the JDfromny thing and yell something hyperbolic like “wwe is in big fucking trouble,” but with all the negative energy the E dealt out this week, AEW responded with a phenomenal show with tremendous “feel good” energy. Props to them.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So a guy with two working eyes sacrifices half of his field of vision because... reasons? Otherwise, good main event.

Bro, it was a fake eyepatch. 

• Like 4

Pretty rad. Fantastic tag title match.  Sammy-Darby lived up to the board created hype.  And OC's comeback was the highlight of the night.  And the whole match rocked.  Main Event was solid, but I agree WTF?  Cody-MJF was good.  Dustin-Hager and the Women's title match were fine.  Bring on the Match Beyond.  

A-E-Dub!  

• Like 1

• Those bracelets were a great idea and added a little something extra all night. Whoever's idea those were deserve a pat on the back.
  • Wrong match to open. We're four years removed from Ric planting one on Becky being edited off the Network, don't be knuckleheads. Went too long.
  • This should have opened. Both guys seemingly have a death wish. Fast-paced and hand-hitting and very good.
  • Tag title bout was MOTN. Bucks brought their storytelling boots, which is always when they excel. The 30 minutes mostly flew by. The Adam Page thing is working big-time. Don't turn him. 
  • Didn't pay much attention to the women's title bout. Someone else can tell me if it was good. 
  • Cody and MJF was solid. Cody's ego is out of control with these entrances and I love it, right down to copying Hunter's weak WM21 Motorhead performance. Feet in mouth is a weird spot, but here we are.
  • OC was good.
  • Main event reminded me of a better match where Jericho targeted his opponent's eye. I'm gonna go watch that one.

Pretty good show. Worth the money. 

• Like 1

Welcome to AEW, where selling is optional and the moves don't matter...

That shot aside, I acutally dug most everything except the Tag Title match and the Women's match (which is understandable given Statander's illness).  My issues with the Tag Titles are my standard issues with Kenny and the Bucks.  Everything is overindulgent, 10 minutes too long, and looks like what you'd get when 2 Ritalin addled kids are playing Here Comes the Pain with infinite Finishers on.

But there was a lot of good on the show, at least enough move AEW up into my "I'll watch it if its on and I'm in front of the computer" list from the "just read about it" list.

• Like 3

Well that was a hell of a show. The right length, great storytelling throughout and everyone delivered (with the exception of maybe Downstait).

I think MOTN has to go to the tag for the psychology with Matt ramping up the aggression, then pulling back, the dynamics between the individuals and the crowd going BANANA as Kenny shrugged off the Golden Trigger.      

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
  • Feet in mouth is a weird spot, but here we are.

Well AEW does say they have something for every fan. That includes the foot-fetish sadomasochist too.

Another thought on the show - the production and stage were top notch. I don't think the Young Bucks have felt like a bigger deal than walking out there with that tron and ramp and the hundreds of bracelets flashing

What they're doing with Adam Page is really really working. I didn't think he was a top guy when they pushed him against Jericho - but now I can see him losing his shit, killing Kenny, and dethroning Moxley. I love the wild look in his eyes when he teased the lariat on Omega.

I enjoyed the Tag match more than I'd hoped despite 3-4 near falls/holy shit spots too many - which isn't bad for a Bucks match. the Matt Jackson/Page losing their shit stuff was great - and I thought Kenny and Nick getting caught up in it and ramping it up was also fun storytelling.

Jake Hager doesn't really click for me anymore. I think I liked him in the early days, but I'm just not feeling it now.

Orange Cassidy/PAC was the best match. OC was INCREDIBLE and I think PAC is one of the best heels in the company.

I was okay with Cody/MJF - but I don't find their wrestling chemistry to be nearly as good as their promo interaction chemistry. MJF crying was fantastic though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Bro, it was a fake eyepatch. 

Bro, I think you're right and I'm with you.  

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Well that was a hell of a show. The right length, great storytelling throughout and everyone delivered (with the exception of maybe Downstait).

That song is absolutely horrible, but somehow works for Cody.  That said, I cannot remember last time I saw such a horrible live performance.  Probably wouldn't been any worse than usual had they not had those dogshit vocals so high in the mix.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus