Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2020 *contains Wrestle Kingdom 14 SPOILERS*


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, gordi said:

Reportedly G1's been moved to Oct.

Yes, a video played during Wrestle Kingdom 14 listing important events and dates in 2020.

Edited by The Natural
Link to post
Share on other sites

After the NEVER division tag at NYD (a reddit comment to the effect of "four unrestrained refrigerators in the back of a moving truck" has stuck with me), Shingo vs LA Dojo TrimSpa Goto is maybe my most anticipated match of this tour.

Also, I am both excited and terrified at the prospect of Hiromu and Lee making a point to ball the fuck out in their reunion bout.  Take the over on cervical compression!

Sidebar: my parents shipped down to Florida early last year, and being that they're an hour and change outside of Tampa, I was thinking of rolling a first visit into that New Beginning USA show... but boy is that a card I'd be hard-pressed to watch for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh hell yeah!! I am going to New Beginning in Osaka! Mox vs MiSu live and in person, baby! Good Lord, I am excited about this. My friend's student's friend -who I met once, years ago - had the opportunity to buy cheap sets through his work, and got them specifically to sell to us since he had heard that my friend, - his friend's English teacher - wanted to go. Life in Japan, brother. Never ceases to amaze me. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gordi said:

Oh hell yeah!! I am going to New Beginning in Osaka! Mox vs MiSu live and in person, baby! Good Lord, I am excited about this. My friend's student's friend -who I met once, years ago - had the opportunity to buy cheap sets through his work, and got them specifically to sell to us since he had heard that my friend, - his friend's English teacher - wanted to go. Life in Japan, brother. Never ceases to amaze me. 

Chuffed for you, @gordi. Enjoy, matey. Can't wait for Moxley vs. Suzuki.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

New Beginning USA tours are cursed. Ibushi is off the tour due to influenza.

Nah, this is more about influenza. Its been bad this year. People were off of BJW's shows at the beginning of the month because of it. Natsu Sumire and Natsuko Tora also missed a show or two for Stardom. There are more. It was probably only a matter of time before someone in NJPW was hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Nah, this is more about influenza. Its been bad this year. People were off of BJW's shows at the beginning of the month because of it. Natsu Sumire and Natsuko Tora also missed a show or two for Stardom. There are more. It was probably only a matter of time before someone in NJPW was hit.

Sure. But after the Visa disaster last year, having one of the few top stars get pulled this year... It's looking cursed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ibushi's flu is apparently very serious.  105 temp, stomach injury from the flu.

Coronavirus is too mundane for Ibushi- he's the male wrestler most likely to end up with a disease that would be a Star Trek plot.

 

Fredricks also hurt and out of the tour. 


At least I get to cross Tanahashi off my bucket list, that's someone I wanted to see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alstein said:

Ibushi's flu is apparently very serious.  105 temp, stomach injury from the flu.

Coronavirus is too mundane for Ibushi- he's the male wrestler most likely to end up with a disease that would be a Star Trek plot.

He very likely barfed so much he wound up giving himself really nasty tears in his esophagus. Mallory-Weiss syndrome. It's a whole thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StarChief EagleDemon said:

Just got a note saying that their caterer won't be there tonight.

My first thought: NJPW has a caterer?

edtcmcu8k6h21.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the show in NC earlier tonight. I went with two people: one very casual wrestling fan who doesn't follow NJPW, and my girlfriend, who was there strictly to spend time with me and get some insight into this goofy hobby of mine.

The one thing on the show they both really liked was the Lance Archer/Ren Narita match. My casual-fan friend instantly loved Archer, and my GF turned to me after the match was over and said "OK, that was actually pretty good".

I thought it was the best match of the night too. Archer was great. Nagata and Kojima were also a lot of fun.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

When NJPW buried the Elite Marty kinda got caught in that as well because everyone assumed that he was AEW bound. I guess if they wanted they could do a storyline with Marty being pissed that he was abandoned despite not leaving like the rest of the Elite. So, Villain Enterprises vs Bullet Club for Supercard show? Could do worse I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the show too, it was a really good, fun time, and my friend who is a very casual NJPW fan I took enjoyed it a lot.

Agreed Archer/Narita was best match.  Archer was smaller than I thought he'd be in person though.

I think my two favorite companies for shows are NJPW and CHIKARA by far.   Very different types of shows, but both have nice crowds who just want to enjoy the show.  One moment came to mind when a woman lost something, and everyone was like super chill and helpful, I'm not sure that would happen most other shows. 

 

As long as NJPW comes here, I'll keep coming as well, even if it's a Young Lions card I'll come.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

New Japan crowds in Osaka and Nara, in my limited experience (half a dozen shows over a dozen or so years) are also pretty cool. It's not the family atmosphere like you get at an Osaka Pro show (where half the crowd are regulars and old friends) but New Japan crowds over here seem, like you say, nice. Friendly in that kind of "we both like the same thing" way. Very into the wrestlers and the action. My kind of people.

The 9th will be my first time at Osaka Castle Hall. I am looking forward to seeing what that is like.

Edited by gordi
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gordi said:

New Japan crowds in Osaka and Nara, in my limited experience (half a dozen shows over a dozen or so years) are also pretty cool. It's not the family atmosphere like you get at an Osaka Pro show (where half the crowd are regulars and old friends) but New Japan crowds over here seem, like you say, nice. Friendly in that kind of "we both like the same thing" way. Very into the wrestlers and the action. My kind of people.

That was the exact same vibe when DDT ran here last year over Mania week. Everyone was into the action and stories, and there was zero douchebaggery (no fans trying to get themselves over, no heckling people, no hateful shit spewed at the women, etc). It was like the friendliest wrestling show I've ever been to.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...