DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

For those that didn't see - the NFL and NFLPA Executive Board have a agreed to a new labor deal that does include a 17 game season

The actual NFLPA members have to approve it.

Per Adam Schefter - the NFL has a set a "rough date" of March 18 for acceptance basically saying if the deal is not accepted, talks will be tabled "indefinitely" (which is code for that there will be a lockout).

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

George Atallah of the NFLPA also tweeted that the report is untrue

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The NFL put out a statement denying the March deadline

That tells me it's true.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

How in the hell can you have a league where half the teams play an extra home game (unless every team is playing a neutral site game)?

If I remember correctly - that is the exact plan

The 17th game would be comprised entirely of international games or games played at "historic" sites

EDIT - okay I looked and yeah the leaked proposal is games would be either international (Canada, Germany, more in Mexico, etc...) or in Non-NFL Cities. My brain got the "historic" part because one of the rumored sites would be to play at Notre Dame (other rumored US places - Alabama, Hawaii)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If I remember correctly - that is the exact plan

The 17th game would be comprised entirely of international games or games played at "historic" sites

EDIT - okay I looked and yeah the leaked proposal is games would be either international (Canada, Germany, more in Mexico, etc...) or in Non-NFL Cities. My brain got the "historic" part because one of the rumored sites would be to play at Notre Dame (other rumored US places - Alabama, Hawaii)

So would there be one week halfway through the season that served as "International Week" or something followed by everyone getting their byes on the same week, sort of like the MLB All-Star break?

Because otherwise it would take a whole lot of juggling to stagger things to keep teams from getting competitive advantages against teams coming back from overseas locations and stuff.

There is a zero percent chance they would take a week off (if they were smart they would).

To even do so - would mean extended the season another week. Which would be fine if they finally went to the Super Bowl being President's Weekend but they are adamant about finishing the first week of Feb.

I am guessing but most likely they would dedicate 4 different weeks as international weeks and a 1/4 of the teams would play their special games then.

Most likely they would do it like Week 4, 6, 8, 10. With teams then having a bye 5,7,9,11

Of course now as I am typing all this - I seem to recall that the NFL would package the "international" as its own TV package. So say Amazon buys the rights - then they definitely would have a game a week, with a couple of weeks having 2 games (just so they would be done before the last week of the season)

I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if someone wasn't playing at like Notre Dame on Thanksgiving day

Here's the thing with Notre Dame, they always said that the only football that would be played in Notre Dame Stadium would be Notre Dame football. This is why the Bears couldn't play any games in South Bend when Soldier Field was being worked on and why they never allowed bowl games there.

I'm curious if the Garth Brooks concert and the Winter Classic have changed their minds based on how much money they could make. To the brothers of the Holy Cross, the AD, etc. ND football in ND Stadium is sacred. I wouldn't be shocked if money changed that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm curious if the Garth Brooks concert and the Winter Classic have changed their minds based on how much money they could make. To the brothers of the Holy Cross, the AD, etc. ND football in ND Stadium is sacred. I wouldn't be shocked if money changed that.

Ted DiBiase was right. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I still say the best plan to get an extra week is going back to two bye weeks. The extra tv money would more than make up for losing a week of pre season or whatever. It would be better for players getting two weeks off, give them a another week to sell games, without adding any extra stress to the schedule or wear and tear on the players.

• Like 2

Pro Football Talk. . .which has been accurate on just about nothing as of late. . .is reporting that the NFL might add Monday Night Football flex scheduling to the next TV deal.

Because if you were planning on going to a game yourself or taking your family to a game on a Sunday and then it gets moved to a Monday and it's too late for you to take off from work. . .well, fuck you, I guess.

Edited by Gonzo

It would be hilarious if:

1. This was how Rivers found out they're not re-signing him.

2. The Chargers had any fans.

Anyway, I'm guessing he's packing his bags for Jacksonville or Charlotte as we speak. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Ok, someone please explain to me what's so great about Tua since I don't really watch college football that much.  We've seen Bama QBs in the past go to the NFL and pretty much suck.  Would he be THAT much of an upgrade over Haskins for the Skins to pick him?

Accurate, athletic, good decision maker, big time arm. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Has the size, strength, mobility, and decision making that makes scouts salivate. Until his hip injury, he was the consensus #1 pick. 

I actually wonder who would be the favorite to go number 1 if he hadn't been hurt. Tua was the guy going into the season and has a longer track record and the skill set, but Burrow went out and had arguably the greatest season in college football history.