DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, Custos said:

You’d think they’d try and position more than one wrestler as ‘jobber with a gimmick’ but the Librarian is that person. In fact, the Librarian is that one person on the women’s side too. It’s like it was their placeholder label for the bottom of the totem pole when planning out all the divisions and they just went ‘eh, let’s just do that’.

Mox eating him a few weeks ago gives me hope that Nakazawa is that guy on the babyface side. I know that it was part of the Kenny story, but that guy shouldn't be hanging with Mox and he didn't. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Mox eating him a few weeks ago gives me hope that Nakazawa is that guy on the babyface side. I know that it was part of the Kenny story, but that guy shouldn't be hanging with Mox and he didn't. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

Fair point with Nakazawa. Thinking about it, there’s also Brandon Cutler but we haven’t seen him against enough of a variety of opponents to tell whether he is a rung above the Librarian or not.

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Fair point with Nakazawa. Thinking about it, there’s also Brandon Cutler but we haven’t seen him against enough of a variety of opponents to tell whether he is a rung above the Librarian or not.

You've also got QT Marshall on the heel side to go along with Peter Avalon, and the Beaver Boys for the tag team division.

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I totally get Jim Cornette now. 

Did you shout at your screen during the match- “Kenny Omega could run through Tokyo with a bag of egg rolls on his back and no one would mess with him!” 

• Haha 4

During one of the breaks, Dasha announced to the live crowd that they'd be taping three matches for Dark after the main event. So either they're going to shorter matches on Dark, or they forgot to tape one before the show, or they've decided there's no reason to limit things to an hour.

7 hours ago, Custos said:

QT Marshall is also a jobber.  Just glad he isn't doing his Trumpie gimmick.

I could see the Dark Order stuff working well at next year's CEO show if they're doing it (CEO is moving from Daytona back to Orlando, so it's not a given)

The whole stop being a loser thing would play well with all the frustrated pot monsters down there.

Edited by alstein

Things that are different about AEW part seventeen: The tri-Monthly PPV model means that even though Full Gear was 3 weeks ago, it's still the current PPV they're selling, and we don't even know the name, date or location of the next one.

Even Impact starts PPV hype for the next one right after the current one finishes, but with AEW it's Replay Still Available if they're even selling anything.

On 11/27/2019 at 1:19 PM, Casey said:

People keep harping on the fact that they big up angles and sometimes start them on Being The Elite (and Dark, or social media), but I don't think that's something that's going to change. For better or worse, that's here to stay. But, hey... people like me will always be here to fill you in! ?

What needs to change is showing brief recaps. There's more than enough time during these sometimes lengthy entrances.  

On 11/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, Craig H said:

And then do ECW Pulp Fiction style promos and segments to fill out the rest.

Of all things to steal from ECW, why on earth has nobody blatantly stolen the Pulp Fiction style montage?  I also long for the 'vintage' SNME style openings.  Just quick quippy promos for all the big showdowns.  

On 11/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, Oyaji said:

Agreed with Craig on the songs. Some could certainly be better but they have grown on me. 

The 205 Live atmosphere for the post show Dark matches really hurts the quality. Evans/Omega was goodish but I couldn't get into it because of how done the crowd was at that point. 

AEW as a company, even in wrestling bubble terms, has some real dogshit taste in music.  But I agree some of these themes have gone from horrible songs to acceptable anthems.  Cody's is the best example.  What a horrible whiny set of lyrics, but it somehow all works.  Moxley's is the one that stands out to me as needing immediate change.  That is the most generic free library 'rock music' theme they have.  He's a star and needs something with a big pounding 'we will rock you' beat as he works his way thru the crowd and into the ring.  I find most of the hip hop based songs very acceptable.  I just try not to listen to the lyrics too closely.  Ha, Jericho's theme is awful too, but works because he's an arrogant asshole heel.  

I know they want the Dark matches to be given time especially for the greenhornes, but what a snoozefest some of these matches are.  I think the Evans/Omega match suffered more from Evans' lame heeling.  He gets so inattentive with the match, and ends up making his opponents look stupid for selling so long over transitional weak moves.  I've always liked Jack, but in AEW, more often than not, he seems to be moving in slow motion and then starts jawjacking at inappropriate times.  He works so lazy on offense when he isn't doing some sensational flip.  I wish Omega had murdered him quickly there.  I don't like seeing him even sell for Evans' clownish behaviour.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Moxley's has become a running joke between me and a bud. So generic but so great. Very much a hard rock version of Basketball Highlights #3 but instead of sports highlights, it's a knockoff of his WWE theme. I hope, as the company begins to actually make money, that they can invest in better theme music and more diverse stages. 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic