DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

Denzel Washington should have won Best Actor for Malcolm X but the Academy had to give their "we screwed up before, so here's your Oscar" award to Al Pacino. I fear the same fate for DiCaprio.

Which then in turn meant Denzel had to get his "we secrewed up before" Oscar for TRAINING DAY.

DAMMIT!  END THE CYCLE!

I fucking hate Forrest Gump so much. It's a bad movie that goes on and on and on and sends about the worst message ever. Slow guy gets picked on a ton, mom has to fuck her way to getting her son into a normal school, Forrest then does a bunch of wacky stuff and joins the military, he continuously embarrasses himself, he doesn't let Lt. Dan die, then there's everything with Jenny and she doesn't love Forrest until she's dying of AIDS and instead of spending her life with Forrest and having a good life, she leaves Forrest with a kid in the last and best example of using someone. Forrest Gump is the most fucked up interpretation of the Giving Tree that I've ever seen. Fuck that movie. It's shittyness is only amplified by the fact that it beat out EVERYTHING ELSE for Best Picture. There could have been a Toxic Avenger movie that year and it would have been as much of a shame to see Forrest Gump win over that. I don't hate much in this world, but I fucking hate Forrest Gump.Also, Bill Murray, or at the very least, Johnny Depp, should have won best actor.

God, I am in love with you right now.

I hate that movie too.  The message to me seems to be "Be dumb.  Be simple.  Dumb = Honest.  Everything will just happen!  You don't need to understand or know anything about who or what is running your world!  Book learning is for witches."

It's like if the Aliens from THEY LIVE! got together with the Tea Party leadership to write a movie...complete with SUPER EVIL HIPPIES!!!!! that look like something out of an anti-reefer film real made by the Missouri State Highway Patrol in 1975 and still being shown to teenagers in traffic school in 1988 (let's just say I know this somehow).

• Like 1

I fucking hate Forrest Gump so much. It's a bad movie that goes on and on and on and sends about the worst message ever. Slow guy gets picked on a ton, mom has to fuck her way to getting her son into a normal school, Forrest then does a bunch of wacky stuff and joins the military, he continuously embarrasses himself, he doesn't let Lt. Dan die, then there's everything with Jenny and she doesn't love Forrest until she's dying of AIDS and instead of spending her life with Forrest and having a good life, she leaves Forrest with a kid in the last and best example of using someone. Forrest Gump is the most fucked up interpretation of the Giving Tree that I've ever seen. Fuck that movie. It's shittyness is only amplified by the fact that it beat out EVERYTHING ELSE for Best Picture. There could have been a Toxic Avenger movie that year and it would have been as much of a shame to see Forrest Gump win over that. I don't hate much in this world, but I fucking hate Forrest Gump.Also, Bill Murray, or at the very least, Johnny Depp, should have won best actor.

Have you ever read the book? It's...not good.

There's a BOOK? Are you shitting me?!? Is it a Golden book written for kids that should have been burned to not give kids the wrong idea about life? Good Christ.

And to just add to what piranesi said, it's a movie that gives false hope and seems to just breed a level of simpleness and stupidity that is really harmful. Honestly, what separates this movie from, say, Patch Adams?

Goddammit. Fuck this movie with a hot poker. I think what bothers me the most is how this gullible idiot let some girl walk all over him, and mind you, this is the only girl he ever loved, except for his mama, and she whores herself out, does copious amounts of drugs, about damn near kills herself on multiple occasions, I think she is the cause for Forrest getting his ass kicked at least once, then she gets knocked up by Forrest OR SOMEONE ELSE FOR ALL WE KNOW, tells Forrest that she loves him and they get married, but, oh, by the way, I HAVE AIDS and I'm going to die soon and here's this kid...he's yours...trust me...BECAUSE I CAN TOTALLY BE TRUSTED...so just to make sure we're clear, I only love you because I have nothing left and I know I used you in the past and I'm using you again, but it's for a totally cool cause and at least I can't screw around any more and break your heart (as if your simple heart could be broken). I'm probably revealing too much, fuck it, it's 2013, but as someone who was living with a family member dying of AIDS at that time, nothing, NOTHING, has pissed me off quite as much as Forrest Gump.

Yeah. Life is kinda shit.

Linda Hamilton should have probably been nominated for Terminator 2. I would guess the sci-fi thing turned them off, but Sigourney Weaver got nominated a couple of years before for Aliens, so I don't know.

I'd throw in Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future for the "should have gotten nominated but probably got screwed over by the genre" group too.

There's a BOOK? Are you shitting me?!? Is it a Golden book written for kids that should have been burned to not give kids the wrong idea about life? Good Christ.

The book is cynical at every point where the movie is not.  There's a follow up book that the author wrote as a giant fuck you to the millions he made from the movie, wherein Forrest goes immediately broke and all sorts of tragedies befall him.  You'd probably enjoy it.

• Like 1

There could have been a Toxic Avenger movie that year and it would have been as much of a shame to see Forrest Gump win over that.

Sidenote, but Toxic Avenger 4 is, no joke, one of the best movies ever made. Ever. Made.

M. Emmett Walsh was one of the all time great sleaze bags in Blood Simple but that movie got roundly ignored.

*nods*

Dennis Hopper not getting nominated for Blue Velvet is disappointing. 

*agreed*

Malcolm MacDowell not getting anything for A Clockwork Orange is disappointing.

He did get something, it's called "a career". What he should have won for was O Lucky Man.

The book is cynical at every point where the movie is not.  There's a follow up book that the author wrote as a giant fuck you to the millions he made from the movie, wherein Forrest goes immediately broke and all sorts of tragedies befall him.  You'd probably enjoy it.

Movie Forrest + mathematic savant + (somehow) advanced sexual skills + a love for weed = Book Forrest.

I always thought The Blair Witch Project was massively snubbed when it came to major awards. I think it suffered too much from being seen as some low budget B movie, to the point people overlooked how very well done it really was.

I mean, it should have gotten nominated for an Oscar for its writing. The film profiles someone's gradual descent into madness better than almost any movie I've seen.

Granted, it was unconventionally shot and filmed, but so was Borat and that managed to get an Oscar nod for writing.

Acting-wise, Heather Donahue should have been nominated just for the apology scene alone.

I'm going to go obscure here and say Nightbreed should have been nominated for best make-up effects. 

What's obscure about "Nightbreed"?

• Like 1

I always thought The Blair Witch Project was massively snubbed when it came to major awards. I think it suffered too much from being seen as some low budget B movie, to the point people overlooked how very well done it really was.

I mean, it should have gotten nominated for an Oscar for its writing.

For it's writing??? It's WRITING???  For fuck's sake, the only memorable writing in it was stolen part and parcel from a dead friend of mine.(Gone 19 years as of yesterday). An award? Hell, the film's producers should've been sued for plagiarism. May I suggest a reading of Karl Edward Wagner's "Sticks" before further praise is lavished on this meretricious, unoriginal piece of shit.

• Like 1

It's 23 years old, based on a short story, didn't make back its $11M budget, somehow.

I'm not saying it's a BAD movie, just not likely to be well known outside of certain circles.

True that. I sometimes forget that I live in those certain circles. ;-) I am surprised to hear that it didn't make back the budget... Someone should have called Todd MacFarlane about making action figures, that would have taken care of that...

It's 23 years old, based on a short story, didn't make back its $11M budget, somehow.

I'm not saying it's a BAD movie, just not likely to be well known outside of certain circles.

True that. I sometimes forget that I live in those certain circles. ;-) I am surprised to hear that it didn't make back the budget... Someone should have called Todd MacFarlane about making action figures, that would have taken care of that...

I'm still waiting for DVD release.

The fact that TRON was snubbed for an effects Oscar still amazes me, the fact they said that using computers was "Cheating" just shows how out of touch the Academy was with actual advances in cinema tech.

James

• Like 2

The fact that TRON was snubbed for an effects Oscar still amazes me, the fact they said that using computers was "Cheating" just shows how out of touch the Academy was with actual advances in cinema tech.James

Also on effects, Transformers should have won over the Golden Compass. The "Autobots Come to Earth" sequence is one of my favorite scenes ever.