DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

The Megapowers handshake is probably the more iconic image of fuck Hogan's career, to my mind. Certainly the most imitated / referenced. But in the context of now, when we just had Austin's charisma massively outshine Hogan's on RAW, arguably through that lens*, Austin is a historic icon, and Hogan is a prehistoric relic.

* To current fans, Austin is the big star they loved, and Hogan was a guy who would show up, who older fans were inexplicably nostalgic about.

• Like 2

I think it does illustrate an interesting difference between the two iconic images.

I don't at all mean this negatively either, but Hulk/Andre was an iconic image from the hype and build. It was "the biggest match ever" and the most iconic image is the two of them face to face before they've touched.

Austin/Hart was a hot feud, but nothing on that level (in fact, it was a late addition to the card, at least by the standards of 1997, after Shawn's knee lost its smile) and the iconic moment is based on what the two of them did in the ring that night, coming at the very end of the match.

• Like 1

Just now, Goodear said:

Are you trying to say that Hogan-Andre wasn’t a big deal at the time?  Because ... I don’t know how to reply to that

No, I am not talking Hogan-Andre at all. I am talking anything that might qualify as an alternative. 

But yeah, you probably shouldn't reply anyway. 

1 minute ago, AxB said:

The Megapowers handshake is probably the more iconic image of fuck Hogan's career, to my mind. Certainly the most imitated / referenced. But in the context of now, when we just had Austin's charisma massively outshine Hogan's on RAW, arguably through that lens*, Austin is a historic icon, and Hogan is a prehistoric relic.

* To current fans, Austin is the big star they loved, and Hogan was a guy who would show up, who older fans were inexplicably nostalgic about.

This is a good example because I feel a lot of the Megapowers stuff was big but I am not sure how much that was after the fact. It's like the WWE having one of their current wrestlers talk about how this certain moment was big in one of their documentaries they produced and said person was born in 1991 or 1992.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I dont think its #1 but Mick flying off the cell would be highly ranked. 

The Edge spearing Jeff Hardy from a ladder while he hung off the belts moment from WrestleMania X-7 might be pretty high up there as well, even if the context is way less legendary.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, I am not talking Hogan-Andre at all. I am talking anything that might qualify as an alternative. 

But yeah, you probably shouldn't reply anyway. 

This is a good example because I feel a lot of the Megapowers stuff was big but I am not sure how much that was after the fact. It's like the WWE having one of their current wrestlers talk about how this certain moment was big in one of their documentaries they produced and said person was born in 1991 or 1992.

It was pretty big. WMV was their most bought ppv until the Attitude Era boom.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

It was pretty big. WMV was their most bought ppv until the Attitude Era boom.

Yeah, the feud definitely was but we're talking about ONE specific image or moment not the entire buildup or entire match.

I'm going to say Wrestlemania XIII is the biggest, because no one actually bought that shit until after seeing those images.  They had to give out tickets to fill the arena.  It was not something that people wee clamoring for...until we saw the image of Steve Austin passing out in a pool of his own blood.  I don't know about you guys, but I rented that tape from my local Blockbuster multiple times when it came out just to see that one match.  There is nothing else on that tape worth watching, but I rented it multiple times (I don't know why though, I know I knew how to do the double VCR thing by this time). There are matches that people look forward to forever, and don't live up to the hype.  This is a match that is the exact opposite.  No one was looking forward to this match*, it happened, and then everyone did whatever it took to find a way to watch it...and then it lived up to the hype.  

*This is a little hyperbolic.  This was an anticipated match for me, but I wasn't buying this card because of it.  I was a 15-year-old kid who was about as anti-authority as possible at the time and Steve Austin was already becoming my favorite wrestler.  The King of the Ring promo is what got a lot of people interested, but this made him the biggest star in the company in my eyes.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well sure because Hogan had main evented what 6 Wrestlemania’s before Austin even debuted much less became the phenom he did.  That’s just age catching up with a person and the audience as well as the people that saw Hogan as children are over 40 now.  

It’s pretty dismissive to think it’s inexplicable to explain the Hogan phenomenon.  He had massive charisma and was perfect for the times.  He was a super hero come to life just like Austin is the darker, edgier anti-hero who was perfect for the attitude era.  It’s just the generational shift, it’s not some mystery.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Goodear said:

Well sure because Hogan had main evented what 6 Wrestlemania’s before Austin even debuted much less became the phenom he did.  That’s just age catching up with a person and the audience as well as the people that saw Hogan as children are over 40 now.  

It’s pretty dismissive to think it’s inexplicable to explain the Hogan phenomenon.  He had massive charisma and was perfect for the times.  He was a super hero come to life just like Austin is the darker, edgier anti-hero who was perfect for the attitude era.  It’s just the generational shift, it’s not some mystery.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Hulk Hogan.  I was not even the biggest Hulk Hogan fan as a kid, but if you don't understand how big of a star Hulk Hogan was, it's because you weren't there.  Steve Austin's run was technically bigger, because of the amount of wrestling available during his run, but he wasn't Hulk Hogan.  Seriously, I am a massive Steve Austin fan and generally disliked Hulk Hogan even before I knew he was a racist, but I was there for both runs and Hogan was a bigger star.  There may be another Steve Austin, but I don't think it's possible to create another Hulk Hogan.  Steve Austin is like Beyonce, but Hogan was like Michael Jackson.  I've heard people try to say that Beyonce has reached Michael Jackson's level of stardom, and everyone who was alive during Michael Jackson's peak understand how nonsensical of a statement that is...nobody is Michael Jackson just like nobody is Hogan.    I don't think that level of stardom is even possible any more.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to say Wrestlemania XIII is the biggest, because no one actually bought that shit until after seeing those images.  They had to give out tickets to fill the arena.  It was not something that people wee clamoring for...until we saw the image of Steve Austin passing out in a pool of his own blood.  I don't know about you guys, but I rented that tape from my local Blockbuster multiple times when it came out just to see that one match.  There is nothing else on that tape worth watching, but I rented it multiple times (I don't know why though, I know I knew how to do the double VCR thing by this time). There are matches that people look forward to forever, and don't live up to the hype.  This is a match that is the exact opposite.  No one was looking forward to this match*, it happened, and then everyone did whatever it took to find a way to watch it...and then it lived up to the hype.  

*This is a little hyperbolic.  This was an anticipated match for me, but I wasn't buying this card because of it.  I was a 15-year-old kid who was about as anti-authority as possible at the time and Steve Austin was already becoming my favorite wrestler.  The King of the Ring promo is what got a lot of people interested, but this made him the biggest star in the company in my eyes.  

This is another one. They didn't do a whole lot with Austin right after he won KotR 96. He was wrestling on the Free for All portion of Summerslam 96. There was no mention of him on the actual show. For awhile, WWE made it seem like that one promo was a huge gamechanger when it was the Bret Hart Mania match especially after that flukey Rumble match win in San Antonio. That's nine months AFTER he won King of the Ring. They tried to zero in on one great promo and made it seem like it helped them win the MNW when they kept getting their ass whooped for what? Until April 98? Shit, WCW's 83 week run with Nitro on top started just one week before he cut that promo. So if anything, that helps your point about that being the most iconic image. From Mania XIII to XIV, Austin went from a valuable upper mid carder to fucking wrestling legend.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Michael Jackson wasn't The Beatles. Nor was he Elvis. There's always an unattainable level.

Here's the thing about Michael Jackson that neither The Beatles nor Elvis can say...Everybody loved Michael Jackson.

The Beatles were huge...I can't deny that, but how many black people were listening to The Beatles?  Elvis was big, but he was not the biggest star for black people either.  Michael Jackson was the biggest star in music for everyone.  

• Like 7

People used to mock the high heels being used as weapons, but yeah, spiking someone in the head with one of those things has to hurt.

This reminded me of DDT Digest for some reason, so I went to check if it's still up, and it is, so now I'm going to lose a few hours over the next week reading through the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Michael Jackson sold a lot of records. The Beatles changed the world.

People like Ike Turner, James Brown, Chuck Berry, etc. changed the world, The Beatles got famous for it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Michael Jackson sold a lot of records. The Beatles changed the world.

People like Ike Turner, James Brown, Chuck Berry, etc. changed the world, The Beatles got famous for it.

Just now, Burgundy LaRue said:

You'd have a hard time selling that idea to a lot of Black people, who see the Beatles and Elvis as imitations of better Black performers, and became huge because they had the complexion for it.

Michael Jackson had people fainting like they just saw a ghost for 20 years all over the world. As a black person from Mississippi whose folks live in Chicago, Detroit, STL, if someone told me a black person from Gary, Indiana would be that big on a global level and I didn't know shit about the Jackson 5 and anything after that, I wouldn't believe you. 

• Like 1