DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

20 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I mean, he told a story on eYada-era WOR about snorting sheet rock because he thought it was coke. That's pretty off the rails.

I've also made the mistake of finding sheet rock and thinking it was a rock of coke. That shit burns. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've also made the mistake of finding sheet rock and thinking it was a rock of coke. That shit burns. 

Shit, now I can’t stop thinking about that anti-crack PSA.  To paraphrase, “you thought you found the rock that fell on the floor, only to find out you were smoking kitty litter!”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Shit, now I can’t stop thinking about that anti-crack PSA.  To paraphrase, “you thought you found the rock that fell on the floor, only to find out you were smoking kitty litter!”

It's easier to tell the difference between cat litter and coke. Coke shouldn't be gray. I've been there, desperately trying to find rocks on the floor, hoping it's coke. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 11:50 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Preach! I'm guessing you too hear "Wild For The Night" by A$AP and Skrillex in your nightmares?

Oh, thank you. I was a bar DJ (and strip club for a month) when this came out and I had managed not to think about it for a while. Until now. My own brother in Creed has betrayed me!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's easier to tell the difference between cat litter and coke. Coke shouldn't be gray. I've been there, desperately trying to find rocks on the floor, hoping it's coke. 

Carpet picking is hilarious to watch, until you're the one doing it. 

• Like 2

The interesting thing is who will be talking heads apart from the obvious people. Are they going to use Guy Evans on camera or for the skeleton of the series? Have they ever used Bryan on Dark Side? 

49 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rocky being behind this is... weird.

He was the last WCW World Heavyweight champion before the title merged.

Edited by porksweats
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"In conclusion, WCW killed WCW"

I just started watching this seeing as it was on... I'm not sure if starting with the Colt episode is a mistake or not, because that is a hard one to top for batshit craziness. What a supernova he was.

• Like 1

Sherri's accent in the segment where she gets kicked out of Harlem Heat is a very "toughest woman in the mobile home complex" voice. No offense to any people but that is even more Alabama than her usual voice.

Sandman initially was "Sting if he wasn't in shape" with his surfer look

then the gimmick started

then there's a variety of stories of varying accuracy

then they spent a lot of time on the Raven feud

then he got on steroids and became more of an asshole

now he seems to be in a better spot in life

also his kids appear to be well adjusted all things considered

I’m on the Terry Gordy episode and it’s giving me the All Japan itch that I always get every few months. Don’t think I’ve ever watched any Terry stuff from AJPW, so I might do that soon. Super interested in the Miracle Violence Connection, less so anything involving his Freebirds run.

I also didn’t know Richard Slinger was his nephew. I only know of him from early NOAH tapes and having good stats in EWR.

This might be the first season where I just skip around and watch the episodes that interest me. The Earthquake one was good, but why have a Dark Side episode? No interest in Buff, either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sandman working as a local version of the Chippendales dancer is not something I would have on any year's bingo card much less this one.

It really is something that Sandman looks about as good as you are going to get meanwhile Peaches looks like fucking death .  and they are around the same age

Would have been funny if they mentioned the actual gimmick change that Sandman did in 1994 because going from a surfer with a South Philly accent to a beer drinking Metallica guy who is pimping out his wife is a hell of a leap

Maybe I was out of the loop in the "insider" part of 1996 wrestling but did people REALLY think that Paul Heyman was going to bring in the Home Alone kid instead of his own son?

Next week is Black Saturday and wait was that Ole Anderson in the promo talking about the blood oath?

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 1

Ole's face is in the collage they made for the show so I think he's gonna be in it. 

This was, and I should probably be ashamed to say it, probably my favorite Dark Side episode. I really like Hak. I get the feeling he isn't a bad guy but made some really bad decisions that he's gonna pay for with his family for the rest of his life, and knows it, and doesn't feel good about it, and that's way more than you get out of probably anybody still living on these aside from Nick Gage. 

Besides that, it is really entertaining! You get a lot of ECW boiled down (cooked in a spoon?) for you into one episode and a lot of ridiculous dirt, you get the feeling that his family was pretty tight-knit (and still is) unlike most, all the stars get to say their piece. And Hak is just there being himself like always. The abuse part was more of a let-down and unexpected than any other person in this series to me. 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 2:20 PM, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

We must have watched different shows, because my takeaway was that Sherri was an very gross person (stripper, basically gave away her child, longtime addictions to too many substances to list, apparently wasn’t too worried about hurting someone when she worked matches “in no condition to perform”).

Literally every male wrestler they’ve covered “basically gave away” their children. They all decided to be wrestlers and disappeared from their kids’ lives. Even the “good guys” whose children speak of them fondly are like “I basically saw him three times a year.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I’m on the Terry Gordy episode and it’s giving me the All Japan itch that I always get every few months. Don’t think I’ve ever watched any Terry stuff from AJPW, so I might do that soon. Super interested in the Miracle Violence Connection, less so anything involving his Freebirds run.

I love the MVC, but I guess the consensus is that they're an acquired taste, maybe? I love watching big dudes toss opponents around and then smother them. 

You've probably seen their Watts-era WCW run, but if you haven't, you should also watch their feud with the Steiners, which I am a huge fan of. 

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ole's face is in the collage they made for the show so I think he's gonna be in it. 

Unless he was in way better shape recently than expected, that’s gotta be archival footage

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

It really is something that Sandman looks about as good as you are going to get meanwhile Peaches looks like fucking death .  and they are around the same age

She looks like a woman in her mid-50s wearing little makeup. If that's "death", then I guess I have a lot to look forward to.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Control said:

Literally every male wrestler they’ve covered “basically gave away” their children. They all decided to be wrestlers and disappeared from their kids’ lives. Even the “good guys” whose children speak of them fondly are like “I basically saw him three times a year.”

No argument here. Wrestling’s not a profession you get into if you want to be a responsible parent or spouse. Sherri probably wasn’t any better or worse than a few hundred (few thousand?) male wrestlers. Lol, she was probably still a better parent than Flair, though that’s a really low bar. Flair boasting on camera about how many women he slept with (the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary) was really slimy. I can’t imagine doing that on a show I knew my kids would probably eventually watch. I’m of the opinion that most people in the business are either immature or some variety of scumbag (usually several varieties of scumbag).

• Like 5