DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

Got Ysolda her Mammoth Tusk and am about to go kill my first dragon (for the billionth time).  I was happy that I remembered the location of the bandit camp close to Whiterun where the Mammoth hunters lived.  Bow sniping skills were a bit rusty but I infiltrated the camp and got shit done.  Mined out their little hideout and smelted / forged / smithed my way to Level 7.

i love the whole "Go get me a Dragonstone! / You mean this thing?" back and forth with the Jarl's court wizard.

I wanted to get my Khajiit a set of Leather Armor for the dragon fight, but I took too much time turning in that stupid greatsword to the Jarl's advisor and now it is night time in the game.  At least I bought and upgraded an Imperial Bow for the scrap.

I will be playing a lot of Skyrim while waiting for the FiOS guy tomorrow.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting that taking a little health damage is not necessarily a bad thing.  Getting hit is the only way to boost armor proficiency and blocking skill.

See... JT playing Skyrim means I will probably end up playing Skyrim and I really don't need that time suck

I mean I actually did other projects for once over the weekend!

See... JT playing Skyrim means I will probably end up playing Skyrim and I really don't need that time suck

I mean I actually did other projects for once over the weekend!

I am playing lots of Skyrim because there is no internet at my crib right now.  Destiny play will become regular again once FiOS is up, but I will be working more Skyrim into the gaming schedule.

And of course within 5 minutes of getting through the Keep I'm off doing random sidequests again whenever they come up and I'm pretty sure I'll be 20 hours in again before even getting to the main story.

This is my problem.  I'd be done a lot faster if I weren't trying to be Skyrim's version of The Equalizer and attempting to right every wrong on the continent.

If there is something I share with Denzel's version of The Equalizer, it is the fact that we both leave a huge trail of bodies in our wake.  I really wish there were something in Skyrim that made corpses disappear after a few game days.

I actually went back and played a little of this over the weekend.  Checked my last save, and it was over a year old.  So, I of course have clue what I was doing then.  Plus the game immediately crashed, just to remind me I'm playing an Elder Scrolls game.

Little by little I'm starting to piece together where I was.  Apparently I haven't done any thieves guild stuff with this nord, and I've only done dark brotherhood intro.  I've at least got as far as triggering the dragons appearing all over, and I just got round to joining the racist, shithead nord ethnic cleansing party.

It looks like I've done a bunch of the side quests though, based on having a bunch of unique stuff, and I'm finding that I'm thain in several places.  I'm frighteningly overpowered as well.  My approach to dragons, if they're on the ground, is to run up to them, whack them over the head a few times with my sword, and collect the soul.

And of course within 5 minutes of getting through the Keep I'm off doing random sidequests again whenever they come up and I'm pretty sure I'll be 20 hours in again before even getting to the main story.

This is my problem.  I'd be done a lot faster if I weren't trying to be Skyrim's version of The Equalizer and attempting to right every wrong on the continent.

If there is something I share with Denzel's version of The Equalizer, it is the fact that we both leave a huge trail of bodies in our wake.  I really wish there were something in Skyrim that made corpses disappear after a few game days.

I had Dhzirgo or however you spell it (the Khajit from the Mages College), following me around once and an ancient dragon came out of nowhere while were near Dragon Bridge. He tried to fight the dragon before I could hit it with Dragon Rend to get it on the ground and kill it quickly and he just got annihilated. It's been about 20 or 30 in-game days and his corpse is still just laying there.

On that note, apparently the corpses of the cultists who start the Dragonborn questline never despawn.  At least as far as I can tell.

Last time I played through I went over to the island, spent however many game months it takes to complete the main story and do literally every quest there is to do over there.

Went back to Skyrim and there they were, right where I left them, [stripped and] draped over the fence outside the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood to freak out that asshole of a little boy every time he and his stupid dog walked by them.

Ulfric and Galmar stick around a while too.  I tend to leave them on the banquet table where they can disturb the deposed jarls' respective dinners.

And since I have posted in this thread and started thinking about Skyrim again, obviously the countdown now begins on me falling off the wagon and starting yet another Skyrim playthrough.  Always just one decent mod away from replay value.

• Like 1

So digging through some boxes in the attic I found a copy of the legendary edition. Damn near brand new. I checked for a save and I don't have one so I guess I never got around to it. So I'm gonna start a game soon. Do any of you play as a redguard? Any advice?

So digging through some boxes in the attic I found a copy of the legendary edition. Damn near brand new. I checked for a save and I don't have one so I guess I never got around to it. So I'm gonna start a game soon. Do any of you play as a redguard? Any advice?

primary character was a redguard (because how could I pass up the chance to have one black dude beat up an entire organization of racists?  I mean, really) but honestly I barely ever use the "unique" racial abilities so really the same advice you'd take for any other character race applies.

Only ever played as a Dark Elf (Dawmer? Dwemer? Dunmer? Something like that). Don't think I everused the actual active racial ability, but the fire resistance is always on, right?

Only ever played as a Dark Elf (Dawmer? Dwemer? Dunmer? Something like that). Don't think I everused the actual active racial ability, but the fire resistance is always on, right?

Yeah, the Fire Resistance for Dunmer is always active.

Recovered the Redguard merc's family sword and the One Handed / Block boost got me up to Level 12.   I also took out the Alik'r for Saadia. 

I honestly think that Kematu's story is the more believable one, but fighting six Redguards while munching on green apples and drinking healing potions does wonders for my Light Armor and Block skills and double crossing Saadia messes with my sense of chivalry.

Still 500 Septims short of the price for Breezehome, so it is off for some bandit cave clearing once I am back online. Then I can sit Lydia's ass there without fear of her wandering about and I can brew potions in peace.

I tend to pick Redguards when I want a tank melee no frills warrior type, because they get the good bonuses. Just keep kicking ass, you'll be fine. ;-)

Bought Breezehome and finally got to store away the billion pound dragon bones I've been lugging around.

Getting the last 500 septims was a comedy of errors.   A dragon attacked the bandit camp and smoked the Silent Moon bandit guards.   

I tried to lure the dragon to the nearby giant camp so that the giants and mammoths could get me a cheap dragon soul, but I accidentally thunked a giant with my arrow while they were fighting the dragon..  The wyrm bailed after getting bruised up and everything at the giant camp proceeded to aggro on me.  Escaped by the lint on my whiskers. 

Cleared the bandit camp, cashed in my loot at Whiterun, and bought my first house.... again...

The lack of furnishings is bothering my OCD, but I am going to break with script and actually try to get another main story mission in.

• Like 1

Well I guess my post is true that I wouldn't advance any farther in the story because I've been so busy that I haven't even touched Skyrim since then.  God, that's depressing.  And I'm pretty sure I'm never catching up with GTA heists or all the new shit in Destiny even though I purchased the Season Pass thingy.

I need a vacation for gaming alone.

Well I guess my post is true that I wouldn't advance any farther in the story because I've been so busy that I haven't even touched Skyrim since then.  God, that's depressing.  And I'm pretty sure I'm never catching up with GTA heists or all the new shit in Destiny even though I purchased the Season Pass thingy.

I need a vacation for gaming alone.

I'm trying not to buy anything else (Non sports game wise) until I clear off some of my pile of shame. On PS4 alone, I have Last of Us, Dragon Age, and Tomb Raider. My other generations are too numerous to count. I want to finish Red Dead and Arkham City in the next couple of months. Then, I might move some of my 360 time back to Skyrim and/or Mass Effect Trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the first time in over 2 1/2 years - I fired up Skyrim

God - did I have no fucking memory of what was I was doing.

Apparently I was in mid-quest for the Mages College when I stopped playing.

Jordis was with me - which I totally forgot - so she scared the shit out of me when she went charging past me to take on a Falmer

And in thinking about this game - I think I married someone at some point. Who and it what town... yeah... no idea.

I am a terrible husband

• Like 5

It took less than a hour for me to have one of those "Skyrim slaps the shit out of you just to remind you who is boss" moments

Figured I would go to a Shrine I hadn't been to yet.

Fast travel to the closest point. Yeah - there be dragon and bandits and trolls and polar bears.

I seriously have forgotten how to be good at this game

• Like 1

For the first time in over 2 1/2 years - I fired up Skyrim

God - did I have no fucking memory of what was I was doing.

Apparently I was in mid-quest for the Mages College when I stopped playing.

Jordis was with me - which I totally forgot - so she scared the shit out of me when she went charging past me to take on a Falmer

And in thinking about this game - I think I married someone at some point. Who and it what town... yeah... no idea.

I am a terrible husband

If you have the Hearthfire DLC installed you can be a terrible father too!

No sooner do I adopt them then I turn right around and spend half a game-year in Solstheim trying to get that one guy's brother to randomly spawn.  The dovahkiids see an awful lot of Auntie Lydia.

• 1 year later...

This is what an idiot I am - I didn't release that the new remastered edition of Skyrim was going to have mod support on the One

God - I am trying really really really hard to not go to the store in 2 hours and get it and then have to sleep on the floor till Christmas

• Like 1