DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 GIFS THREAD

Guest Edwin

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm also wondering how I never knew Ivan and Dusty had a casket match.

It was - at a minimum - the first WWF casket match if not the first casket match period

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I have to admit it takes balls to look at the One Winged Angel and say you need a goofier set up.

EMlHz6.gif

Look how lame that WWF crowd reaction is to that. If that was a WCW crowd you'd have people jumping from their seat, and high-fiving, or hugging the stranger next to them because a man just got his head spiked into the mat. 

I mean look at this...

27FuM73.gif

No DDT, no powerbomb, no clotheslines, just Steve"Mongo" McFuckin'Michael.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Look how lame that WWF crowd reaction is to that. If that was a WCW crowd you'd have people jumping from their seat, and high-fiving, or hugging the stranger next to them because a man just got his head spiked into the mat. 

I mean look at this...

27FuM73.gif

No DDT, no powerbomb, no clotheslines, just Steve"Mongo" McFuckin'Michael.

Part of that I think is down to how the WWF booked Lawler for most of his run. He was an old-school chickenshit heel buffoon who almost always had to cheat like mad to get advantages on anyone- not to be taken seriously by the world at large.

The other part of that is this:

WCW Monday Nitro #71
20. Januar 1997 @ United Center in Chicago, Illinois (United States of America)
Arn Anderson and Steve McMichael defeated Eddie Guerrero and Jeff Jarrett

Chee, Bull! Ex-Bear Steve "Mongo" McMichael over like a motherfucker in Chicago? Who'da thunk it?

EDIT: Meltz brings the context.

Just one day after WWF drew the second largest paid crowd for pro wrestling ever in the United States, World Championship Wrestling set the company all-time attendance record drawing a sellout of just over 17,000 fans paying $189,206 to the United Center for the 1/20 Monday Night tapings in Chicago. In addition, the company's all-time single event merchandise record was devastated with nearly $107,000.

Arn Anderson & Steve McMichael beat Jeff Jarrett & Eddie Guerrero in a weird but entertaining match. McMichael was over huge as a babyface (and Chicago would be the only city that will be the case in) and Guerrero worked a few spots with him that actually looked real good which speaks volumes for Guerrero. Guerrero ran away from the ring (he was actually chasing Syxx on a ladder but it didn't come across on television the way it was supposed to) leaving Jarrett, who wasn't over, by himself. Anderson put Jarrett in the boston crab when Debra McMichael threw in her sash, which I guess was like throwing in the towel for Jarrett. Anderson got mad, which made no sense on a second level. First, how can the second for one team throw the towel in for the other team? Second, why would Anderson be mad because by throwing in the towel, it meant he won the match? I guess I'm still thinking too much.

• Like 1

WCW had better crowds mostly for the wrestling aspect over the WWF in the 90's. Steamboat vs Austin is louder than Owen vs Austin. Most (not all) of the new generation era matches I watched the crowds are just sitting there not doing anything for most of the matches. The 90's WWF live crowds always preferred the characters and angles and promos and malarkey over the matches tbh. The Attitude era crowds are louder but they still quiet down during many parts of in ring action unless it's finisher spam and kick-out and interference or brawling out of the ring.

oorzj99lqo901.gif

• Like 4