DVDVR Message Board

Neville No Longer Under WWE Contract

Hyped for this. We all knew he was an astonishing wrestler mechanically but he really developed his character work in the dying days of his NXT run and it reached its pinnacle with his heel work on the main roster. I'm excited to see what he can do now that he's free and hopefully happy. He should've been the Bone Soldier 2.0 in truth.

• Like 1

You know, that’s an interesting thing. I mean, the Pac name is kind of stupid now since everyone already knows him as “Neville”, not that I liked it to begin with. 

What else could he use though, that wouldn’t be the dirt worst? 

I’ve got it!

”Zero G” Ben Satterley. 

I’m not kidding. Do a few shows, and you can just shorten it down to the nickname. Everyone already knows who he is. It’s a smooth transition. Seriously. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Don’t disrespect my boy Ishimori like that.

He had maybe the greatest junior match I’ve ever seen against Takahashi.

I don't get the hype around that match. And Ishimori seems a poor choice for a heel.

35 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't get the hype around that match. And Ishimori seems a poor choice for a heel.

I loved the match so much. It passed KUSHIDA/O’Reilly as the best junior match I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen most of the pimped stuff. It had basically no downtime which is very rare for a NJPW main event. It went 35 minutes and that time flew by. The crowd was off the charts. I’m also a Hiromu mark so I may be biased.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

You know, that’s an interesting thing. I mean, the Pac name is kind of stupid now since everyone already knows him as “Neville”, not that I liked it to begin with. 

What else could he use though, that wouldn’t be the dirt worst? 

I’ve got it!

”Zero G” Ben Satterley. 

I’m not kidding. Do a few shows, and you can just shorten it down to the nickname. Everyone already knows who he is. It’s a smooth transition. Seriously. 

Adrian Neville was a good ring name. WWE's habit of shortening names bugs the hell out of me. At least Apollo Crews got his last name back. If I were a wrestler, I'd make up my ring name using dropped parts of WWE names.

ex. Antonio Alexander Adrian Langston

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Don’t disrespect my boy Ishimori like that.

He had maybe the greatest junior match I’ve ever seen against Takahashi.

Watch more wrestling. (I loved this match btw.)

• Like 1

Remember - he has a 90 day no compete clause from the end of his contract.

So unless he negotiated something with the WWE  - he isn't going to be working All In

Sad to say, with NXT UK about to kick off I think both parties are leaving a big bag of money on the table. Not that I would object to seeing Neville in NJPW, far from it, but from a business standpoint, it might have been prudent to bury the hatchet. I could have really got behind a feud between Tyler Bate and Neville, a fascinating mix of styles, with one of (if not THE best) flyers in the UK against an absolute master of the ground game.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Remember - he has a 90 day no compete clause from the end of his contract.

So unless he negotiated something with the WWE  - he isn't going to be working All In

Is this confirmed though? I know that when wrestlers get released they get 90 days 'downside' under which they're under no compete, but expiry of a contract is less clear I think?

No chance they'll have 'let him' work All In. I don't think it matters anyway, he's better off letting the anticipation build and working off ring rust on the quiet. I am sure plenty of UK promotions would be overjoyed to have him - particularly Progress who could really use someone to beef up their Wembley card.

He's still on the Superstar page fwiw.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Sad to say, with NXT UK about to kick off I think both parties are leaving a big bag of money on the table. Not that I would object to seeing Neville in NJPW, far from it, but from a business standpoint, it might have been prudent to bury the hatchet. I could have really got behind a feud between Tyler Bate and Neville, a fascinating mix of styles, with one of (if not THE best) flyers in the UK against an absolute master of the ground game.

NXTUK is just a barn on a content farm though, taping once a month at most.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Watch more wrestling. (I loved this match btw.)

I do watch a lot. I’ve seen most of the pimped Junior stuff from the 1990s and 2000s. I also obviously have seen basically all the best modern NJPW stuff. I think this was the best. I enjoyed it the most. Might be an unpopular opinion but that’s how I feel.

I liked it plenty but when it was over, my friend and I just gave each other confused looks at it being called an all time classic by Meltz and others (iirc he stated it was one of the best ten matches he'd ever seen. I do plan on watching the rest of the tournament soon and will watch it again in context). Hiromu is a blast and it had some great moments but not at one point throughout did I get that tingling of jubilation when I'm watching something truly fantastic like I did with at least a handful of matches in this year's G1 or matches like Liger/Sano and Kanemoto/Samurai. I knew both men had built up their submissions throughout the tournament so that drama wasn't lost on me. 

Ishimori strikes me as a Christopher Daniels type in that he's mechanically brilliant but has little in the way of emotional connection or layered storytelling. To bring this back on subject, Neville was one of those guys until he started introducing some shades of grey in NXT and then when he went full bore heel on the main roster. One of the best at executing insane moves effortlessly but rarely did I feel engaged in his matches. The Zayn feud really helped him a great deal of integrating emotional storyline touches into his matches. 

If Neville signs with NJPW, is there any chance he works in the heavyweight division? He's a sawed off ball of muscle so I think it could work. Fuck, would I love to see him in the mix with NJPW's best. Will be fascinating to see where he goes. 

Meltz's report says he's free to wrestle elsewhere and doesn't mention a 90 day.

I'd be shocked if WWE actually did leave him free and clear to work All In after freezing his contract for 9 months, but who knows?

EDIT: actually Bryan Rose reports, on the observer site

All that said, I think New Japan's junior division needs him a lot more than the heavies do.  Not much fresh to do in that division right now since Hiromu's megababyface run on top got cut short by injury.  Let him go on a King of the Juniors run until Hiromu is ready to reclaim it, then move him up.