DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Another Netflix movie for me:

Heathers - Yeah, this one just doesn't work for me.  I saw it years ago and didn't like it, decided to give it another try.  Nope.  I get what they're going for, I just think they miss.  4/10.

You're Next was sadly not as much fun as I wanted it to be.

Gimme The Loot was all kinds of fun, though!  Two teenage graffiti enthusiasts in the Bronx need to come up with $500 by the end of the day, and I honestly didn't even catch exactly why, but it doesn't matter.  It's just so great listening to them curse out each other and everyone else.

Heathers - Yeah, this one just doesn't work for me.  I saw it years ago and didn't like it, decided to give it another try.  Nope.  I get what they're going for, I just think they miss.  4/10.

This is an unusual misstep for you, Ser Tabe.  The small council will be monitoring your posts for awhile.

• Like 1

Heathers - Yeah, this one just doesn't work for me.  I saw it years ago and didn't like it, decided to give it another try.  Nope.

Oh thank GOD I'm not the only one. Heathers is, for me, one of those inexplicably popular movies which seems like the entire world is in one big conspiracy specifically against me. There's not a single sympathetic character in the whole damn movie, it treats teen suicide like a cheap trivial joke, it HATES fat people, it engages in mountains of slut-shaming, and it's got some of the least-funny "dark humor" I've ever seen. "I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON!" made me want to do a Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back-style globetrotting tour wherein I kick the asses of everyone involved.

This is an unusual misstep for you, Ser Tabe.  The small council will be monitoring your posts for awhile.

Yeah, I know my opinion is against the grain on that movie.  It's a pretentious movie that mocks those who are pretentious.  It's an arrogant movie that mocks the arrogant.  It's a movie that's in love with itself for being "edgy" and having black humor but isn't funny (the lame "dead gay son" funeral stuff, for example) and in the end just isn't that good. 

Another night, another Neftlix selection:

Into the Wild - Christoper McCandless is a guy just graduated from college who feels trapped in his everyday life.  So he gives away his life savings, cuts up all his credit cards, takes on a fake name and disappears.  He wanders the country for 2 years, dipping down into Mexico for a bit, before heading up to Alaska to "live off the land" and find himself.  He ends up taking up house in an abandoned school bus and leaving in Alaska for four months before dying under unclear circumstances.  This is based on a true story and, other than his death*, is apparently very close to the real story.  Directed by Sean Penn and starring Emile Hirsch, this is really good.  There's a sadness to the movie as you know it doesn't end well and that this guy just abandoned his family without warning and without contacting them.  Jon Krakauer wrote a book on the guy, tracking down a bunch of the people he met - the hippies who live in Slab City, the grain farmer who gave him a job, the old guy who wanted to adopt him, and more - and studying his writings and photos.  I think a lot of us can relate to the romantic notion of just "dropping off the grid" and disappearing.  This movie shows the not-so-romantic reality of that.  I'd had this movie in my queue for a long time but decided to watch it when it came up in the news this week as another idiot decided to try and emulate this guy and died trying.  I really enjoyed this one - 8/10.  Look for Jena Malone and Kristen Stewart in small roles as well.

* - the death theory presented in the movie has since been conclusively proven incorrect.

Granted I didn't really look into it as much since I originally saw the movie, but what ended up being the truth behind his death?

It's still a little unclear.  Latest theory is that he ate something that causes paralysis, which would explain why he didn't just walk out of the woods while starving.

It's worth noting that the stuff at the end of the movie, where they show him reading the field guide with its ominous warnings, is BS.  They made that stuff up - the guide in question has a very minimal warning at best.

I've decided on the 19.  Normally I would buy single tickets and get about 15 movies.  This year, for the first time, I decided to get one of their package deals, but for those, you have to get tickets in multiples of 10.  So I got 20 tickets.  I'm giving one ticket to a friend, and the others are all for me me me.

Your next question is probably going to be what the movies are.  See inside the spoiler.  Note that there's lots of very well-known stuff at the festival that I would love to see (e.g. Prisoners, Don Jon, Dallas Buyers Club, Gravity) but I've found that if you're going to be able to see a movie in regular theatres, especially when it's coming out a couple of weeks after the festival anyway, you probably want to wait and do that.  IMO the festival is more for seeing stuff that you might not otherwise be able to see in a theatre, or might not be able to see at all for months or years.

All About The Feathers - Costa Rican movie.  "A security guard who wants to get into the cockfighting game buys, befriends, and becomes inseparable from his rooster protégé Rocky."

12 Years A Slave - You probably heard of this one.  I made an exception to the "wait to see it in normal theatres" rule.

The Green Inferno - Eli Roth homage to Italian cannibal horror

The F Word - Daniel Radcliffe/Zoe Kazan romantic comedy

The Armstrong Lie - Lance Armstrong documentary by the guy who did Taxi To The Dark Side

Concrete Night - Finnish movie. "A fourteen-year-old boy in a stifling Helsinki slum takes some unwise life lessons from his soon-to-be-incarcerated older brother."

Enemy - Jake Gyllenhaal spots his exact double acting in a movie and tracks him down.  Adapted from the book The Double, and directed by the guy who did Incendies.  (Yeah, the same director did 2 movies with Gyllenhaal, this + Prisoners)

Tom At The Farm - A guy attends the funeral of his gay lover, meets the deceased's family, gets invited to their house, and is "drawn into a savage game rooted in the rural family’s dark past".  Xavier Dolan directed it, co-wrote it, and stars in it.  (Not sure Americans have heard of this guy, but he's hot shit in Canada)

Felony - A cop causes a fatal traffic accident and tries to cover it up.  Joel Edgerton wrote it & stars as the cop.

The Dinner - Adapted from the recent book.  I don't know much about this, something about a dinner party where the conversation gets kind of crazy.

Gerontophilia - By the guy who directed L.A. Zombie.  A "subversively tender tale of the intimate bond between a teenage nursing home attendant and an elderly resident."  Like, physically intimate, apparently.  Just seeing it to test my limits.

The Strange Colour Of Your Body's Tears - By the directors who did Amer, and had the "O" slot in The ABCs of Death.  Don't even know what this is about, but they have a really intense visual style, some Argento giallo kind of stuff.

The Sacrament - New Ti West movie about a Jim Jones-type suicide cult. 

Why Don't You Play In Hell? - Sion Sono movie.  Something about the daughter of yakuza guys wanting to become a movie star, and the yakuza force a film crew to try and make it happen.

Joe - David Gordon Green directing Nicolas Cage.  The plot sounds almost exactly like Mud, and it's got the kid from that movie, too.

Proxy - Pregnant woman is attacked, loses the baby, and then... I dunno.  But look at this trailer! (borderline NSFW)

Child's Pose - Romanian movie, won the top prize at the Berlin Film Festival.  "A wealthy, aging Bucharest matriarch greases more palms than she can shake as she tries to buy her son’s way out of a hit-and-run conviction."

Unbeatable - Hong Kong MMA movie.

Omar - Palestinian movie, a "noir-ish psychological thriller set in the occupied West Bank."  Won a prize at Cannes.

SON OF A BITCH I didn't know Jake Gyllenhall is in an adaptation of The Double. That was on my list of movies I want to make one day. Yes I do think about that stuff. 

Thanks for the list. I use it as a gauge for what might show up at the Chicago International Film Festival; the line up of which gets announced in a couple of weeks.

End of Watch is fucking great.

Yeah, it's good.  If you ignore the big holes in the gimmick of the guy filming his life, it's a really good movie.

You're ragging on me for liking End of Watch, but you enjoyed jOBS.  Okay. Tabe. :)

I hate to disagree with Tabe, as a rule, but yeesh, I thought JOBS varied from so-bad-it's-good to straight-up so-bad-it's-just-bad. About 25% of it is Kutcher mugging for the camera, and about 50% of it is shots of people overacting reaction shots to whatever it is Jobs just said/did. Beyond Jobs himself, the level of characterization was limited to "fat guy," "guy with a motorcycle," and "guy with a suit." Blarg.

We watched MAGIC MIKE last night. It was pretty good, despite following a formula so time-tested it's goddamn rusty. Channing Tatum is winning me over. And I like Soderburgh's approach to film making, even if it seems like he feels obliged to have an "experimental" section in nearly all of his films, especially if they don't require one (I'm looking at you, HAYWIRE).

I hated jOBS.  It had no heart.  It was just a big Apple commercial with Hanna-Barbera eque caracatures for people.  What did you really learn about Steve Jobs as a person from that alleged biopic?  Nada.

Pirates of Silicon Valley is still the best biographical piece done on the Gates vs. Jobs saga and that was made for television.