DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RIPPA

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

The question with Hellraiser is this: See the 'real world' sections of the movie? Are they set in London or New York? Because they appear to be set in some sort of transatlantic super-city.

16 hours ago, piranesi said:

I love the sexual politics of Hellraiser.  The idea that the lead lady is instantly hypnotized and enslaved by the first dude who could really lay proper pipe to the point that she is murdering fools.  I really think Clive Barker thinks that's how ladies' insides work.

Julia and Frank had history from before she was married to Larry and before Frank discovered the puzzle box.

Larry is portrayed as a milquetoast daddy, whereas Frank is the player.

Which would you rather bang?

I guess it was supposed to be London since Larry said something to Julia about "being back on her home turf."  Of course, the studio was ultimately to blame as apparently the producers offered more money to set the movie in New York.

Frank's accent is a problem too. But again, I'm reading the book today (if I can get off here and stop listening to records)

4 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Julia and Frank had history from before she was married to Larry and before Frank discovered the puzzle box.

Larry is portrayed as a milquetoast daddy, whereas Frank is the player.

Which would you rather bang?

Oh I would fuck the living shit out of Frank once.  But I would make sweet and charming love to Larry forever and afterward he would make me tea and we would listen to Lou Rawls together and if Frank showed up I would turn him over to the Cenobytes so fast if he threatened my perfect life with Lar.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Art's All-Nite Horror Movie Marathon was a blast. This year had a bunch of really obscure selections. Patrick was the first on the table and was a strange Australian version of Carrie with a paralytic (actually technically dead/a vegetable) teenager using telekinesis to affect the life of the nurse he has a hopeless crush on. After that came Abel Ferrara's trash classic The Driller Killer which was hilarious. The theater bought everyone free pizza for intermission, just in time for fucking Nekromantik, which also came with a long intro from the guy that booked the show warning/advising everyone about the movie. Unfortunately nobody puked or ran out, but nobody laughed either. After that came Psychos In Love which my buddy accurately described as a long Curb episode, only about a pair of serial killers. The last film was some POS called The Undertaker (unfortunately not ...and His Pals) that we skipped on. Many drinks were quaffed and laughs were had by all.

• Like 2

Night 12:  Watched two DVR episodes of Kolchak:  The Night Stalker (The Ripper, The Trevi Collection).

Night 13:  Watched the Syfy debut of Karma with the family.  It was pretty cool to see black people comprise most of the main characters.  I did not realize that Mario Van Peebles's son was the lead actor until the final credits rolled.

Night 14:  Finally sat down and watched The Broken all the way through. It was on Cinemax On Demand. I have now seen every movie shown at the Horrorfest 2009 film festival.

• Like 1

Hannibal Rising was just on IFC so I watched as a check off the list. Long in the tooth and not great. The story is set in Lithuania during WWII. Lector's parents are killed and their castle is invaded by deserters who kill and eat his sister. He grows up in France with his drastically hot Japanese aunt who shows him the way of the samurai and he goes after the deserters. The kills are pretty plain, Dominick West shows up ad an ineffectual cop with yet another bad accent, nothing much of note happens. At least Gong Li is nice to look at. I would just as soon watch Hannibal again instead.

Now Diary of the Dead is on and I am NOT going down THAT road. Even I have my limits...

The Joe Spinell Undertaker? I bet it was at least the real version and not the chopped up piece of shit I watched on Amazon Prime a couple of months ago. 

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Art's All-Nite Horror Movie Marathon was a blast. This year had a bunch of really obscure selections. Patrick was the first on the table and was a strange Australian version of Carrie with a paralytic (actually technically dead/a vegetable) teenager using telekinesis to affect the life of the nurse he has a hopeless crush on. After that came Abel Ferrara's trash classic The Driller Killer which was hilarious. The theater bought everyone free pizza for intermission, just in time for fucking Nekromantik, which also came with a long intro from the guy that booked the show warning/advising everyone about the movie. Unfortunately nobody puked or ran out, but nobody laughed either. After that came Psychos In Love which my buddy accurately described as a long Curb episode, only about a pair of serial killers. The last film was some POS called The Undertaker (unfortunately not ...and His Pals) that we skipped on. Many drinks were quaffed and laughs were had by all.

The free pizza before Nekromantik was grade A audience trolling.

Re: The Undertaker, I dunno because I still haven't looked it up yet. They were gonna play something called Heavy Metal Massacre bit the distributors allowed them this one to be played instead. The last slot is always a death slot which is why we booked it.

And yeah, good job with the pizza. I passed myself as I was too busy with the whisky. I guess because the crowd was light they only sprung for two boxes of Jet's; kinda lame considering they were charging $20 a pop for tickets and drinks were astronomic. They deserve the money though. They also had sweet glossy Shocktoberfest posters for free that had Howling art and the month's lineup on them and that went right on the wall.