DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Well, Deep Red was alright. It still felt long in the tooth despite being the original cut (instead of the ridiculously long Anchor Bay non-edit). What I forgot about was how funny it is, especially Daria Nicolodi's tiny car and the hijinks that ensue from its use. This was also my first time watching it in Italian and it is a VERY Italian film. The crowd especially got a kick out of anyone using English. I would have preferred seeing Tenebrae or Inferno (or even Opera) but hey, it was better than the time my poor friend Jill got ahold of an R-rated Suspiria and had it aired in the same theater to a, how shall we say, disagreeable reaction. (It played years later uncut. I had to work. *kicks chair over*)

How was The Thing, Jae?

Tales From the Hood 2 has plenty of....THE SHIT

And by that I mean it's a solid anthology and Keith David is great as the narrator.

Mandy was like a combination of Hobo With A Shotgun and Beyond the Black Rainbow. It's best if you just take it in and don't think too critically about it. I think this is the only Nic Cage film I've seen in the past decade or so, have his acting skills been Tommy Wisseau level for a while now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hehe, Nicolas Cage. This interview has clips in it:

And yeah, he was always willing to go way, way over the top right from the start of his career.

Although I'm disappointed they never asked him about Kiss of Death or Drive Angry.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, was one of those kids Maestro Harrell (Randy from The Wire)? He's still playing high school students? 

EDIT: Sure enough it is

Bianca Lawson was nearly thirty and still playing high school or college age characters.  Black don't crack.

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Watched Hereditary last night. Had managed to go in without spoilers and DAMN. Wasn't what I expected, the big signpost twist caught me off guard entirely and the whole film was WAY more emotionally gutting than I had prepared for. It got there with the scares but I do feel like the scare factor was overstated in a lot of early reviews. The thing that makes it great also holds it back a bit for me...it's evident real early that this will be a meticulous film, so I'm looking for patterns/repetitions/hints/themes and as a result a lot of the direction it took wasn't super shocking but it still got me in a few spots and the meticulous nature also meant seeing all my speculation play out was SUPER satisfying (I even got that the background Shakespeare analysis in class would turn out to be the arc of the film). 

It's incredibly shot with great use of repetition altered by context. Prime example:

Reveal hidden contents

Peter's fixed gaze checking out his crush's butt in class early on followed by the same setup shot but with him staring into nothing, the camera focused on a blank spot of floor with her off to the side, unimportant, after the accident.

It's a real good movie. The only real fault I can find is that, in many ways it ramps too suddenly at the end. Like a thirty minute wrestling match with 25 minutes of tight headlocks and matwork followed by 5 minutes of big spots and finishers with nothing in between. And after a film that trusted the audience to follow it, the exposition-y explanation of the whole film at the end was a little flat.That said, a ton of the shots and sounds in this film will stick with me so I can't argue it wasn't effective on the whole and it hit WAY more than it missed. Big recommendation.

I also enjoyed Hereditary immensely!

It even managed to successfully deal with one of the cultural issues that messed with my immersion into the onryo classic, Ring.

Spoiler

One of the things that really bothered me about Ring's plot is how easily Rinko buys into the Curse without any build up.  I know that most Asian cultures are steeped in traditions of healthy respect for the unknown, but most reasonable people would at least be a tad skeptical until shit started hitting the fan.

In Hereditary, Annie shows a little resistance to the whole idea of the conjuring of spirits but then she almost immediately buys in during the séance eventually sucks her family into her preternatural madness. 

She doesn't scoff as much as she should because the Paiman cult has Anne totally scouted.   They know Annie's highly susceptible to subterfuge  because she absolutely refuses to process her grief and DESPARATELY wants Charlie back into her life by any means necessary... including supernatural ones.

Not being able to let go of her personal pain signs the literal death warrants of Annie, Steve, and Peter Graham..

It was very refreshing to see the key element of classic Greek tragedy being incorporated into the horror thematics.  The combined hubris of Annie, her husband, and her son totally destroys their family.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, HumanChessgame said:

And by that I mean it's a solid anthology and Keith David is great as the narrator.

Mandy was like a combination of Hobo With A Shotgun and Beyond the Black Rainbow. It's best if you just take it in and don't think too critically about it. I think this is the only Nic Cage film I've seen in the past decade or so, have his acting skills been Tommy Wisseau level for a while now?

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. The intrigue heightens. Shit, man, I'm all about Hobo With A Shotgun. It's the kind of grindhouse renaissance movie Rob Zombie wishes he could make. If all the characters didn't have to be either rodeo clowns, carny trash, or psycho killer clowns. 31 really would've benefitted from some killers as badass as The Plague. 

• Like 1

Went with a friend of mine who's a punk rock guitarist (street punk, hardcore, and crust) to see Hobo With A Shotgun in the theater. Also a philosophy professor, btw. He had the gall to complain about the film as offensive and anti-homeless afterwards. My eyes could not possibly roll any further, especially considering some of the people he'd been bandmates with before.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, HumanChessgame said:

With it's tongue planted firmly in it's cheek, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed this for what it was.

I dug the callbacks to Tales From The Hood, like one of the possessed figurines from the Dolls short showing up in Golly.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:16 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

I can’t be the only one laughing while imagining Phil’s reaction to “WWE Superstar” CM Punk.

Not entirely in line with this thread, but we took my just turned 4yr old to see The House with a Clock in the Walls. She’s into witches and magic, and when I showed her the trailer, she laughed at the haunted jack-o-lanterns getting smashed and said she wanted to see it. We went with some friends with a 5yr old and an 8 yr old, and she not only was the only kid not to get scared, but the next day she asked if we had it at home and said she wanted to see it again.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. The intrigue heightens. Shit, man, I'm all about Hobo With A Shotgun. It's the kind of grindhouse renaissance movie Rob Zombie wishes he could make. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:47 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Went with a friend of mine who's a punk rock guitarist (street punk, hardcore, and crust) to see Hobo With A Shotgun in the theater. 

I love Hobo with a Shotgun. I wish some of the other Grindhouse trailers besides Hobo and Machete would have been made into full-length movies. I think Thanksgiving and Werewolf Women of the SS would have been really good. It'd be nice to see Rob Zombie do something not involving the aforementioned rodeo clowns, carny trash, and psycho killer clowns. I also like Eli Roth a lot, with the exception of Hostel II. Grindhouse was the most fun experience I've had at the movies, next to seeing Cabin Fever with four friends in Connecticut, and the theatre being empty, so it was our own private MST3K.

I wish any of the theatres near me were showing Hobo with a Shotgun when it came out. Of course, I have it on dvd, so it's not like I missed out on it.

• Like 1