Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

NOV 2017 TV THREAD

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

For some reason I thought they had made Major Payne into a TV show already. I was justifiably shocked to fins out they hadn't.

I mean as far as Bill Murray movies go, if they could make one into a TV series I think the world is ready for a full mini-series of "Where The Buffalo Roam"

James

Or they could film one episode of Groundhog Day, and play it over and over again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Stripes as much as the next guy, but the plot itself isn't worldbreaking. The heart of the movie is Murray and Ramis bouncing off each other and the supporting cast including Candy and the awesome sergeant, with a heathly bit of Larroquette  thrown in as the clueless officer. None of which is available for a series thirty years later so why the fuck are they doing it again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they use the original soundtrack I will be watching like Silver Shamrock Halloween special. That shit is crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I love Stripes as much as the next guy, but the plot itself isn't worldbreaking. The heart of the movie is Murray and Ramis bouncing off each other and the supporting cast including Candy and the awesome sergeant, with a heathly bit of Larroquette  thrown in as the clueless officer. None of which is available for a series thirty years later so why the fuck are they doing it again?

Its just IP farming. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catching up on Stan Against Evil with the GF.  Jeffrey Combs' episode was great, but somehow the idea that he could be The Bachelor (excuse me, The Fiance) strains credibility more than witches, ghosts and demons.  (says the guy who has dressed as his Herbert West for Halloweens and cons for 2 years now.)  This season as a whole feels like Gould and company have a much better rhythm than in S1 and I hope they get an S3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winter finales for How To Get Away With Murder and Scandal are done.  I feel like Shonda Rimes is trolling me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, J.H. said:

I think the world is ready for a full mini-series of "Where The Buffalo Roam"

This x1000. Just make it a series about Hunter's adventures from all of his writings; that's gold waiting to be mined from the earth. Depp can play young Hunter and Murray can play old Hunter. Would it end up terrible? Probably, but it would be hilarious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the Great Shark hunt would have enough material for at least a season or two, HBO style(and really no other network would do). The only catch would be I don't think his stuff translates well to screen. Hunter was awesome at descriptions, but its one thing to read about him being off his mind on drugs(or drunk, or both) but no nearly as fun to watch. Which is one reason that I love Fear and loathing in Las Vegas as a book, but the movie not so much. . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the other thread is still locked, Charlie Rose is latest person to be part of the sexual harassment story. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since the other thread is still locked, Charlie Rose is latest person to be part of the sexual harassment story. 

Now take that in context with the CBS morning show clips that John Oliver loves playing.

I enjoy watching PBS's round wooden table from time to time. But it sounds like he has to go. And for a show as no-frills as his, a replacement can easily be found. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught Letterman's Mark Twain Prize show last night and ended up looking up the list of past recipients. And then I got the tiniest bit sad again that Robin Williams is dead. Outside of wrestling, he's the only celebrity death that makes me go "Man, it's weird to think of him as not being alive." Posthumously, I'm sure they'll do one of those shows in his honour at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Good Place renewed for 3rd season.

Sweet, I just finished the first season last night.  I don't know if there has ever been a sitcom with a better premise than The Good Place.  I can't wait to jump into the 2nd season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also finished the first season about a week ago and that was really good. The season got progressively better and better with each episode, delivering more laughs while they went along.

I also really liked the twist, but I'm not thrilled with the prospect of characters getting their memories back. That's just one of those TV contrivances that I don't dig, but I have faith in Mose Schrute to make it watchable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I also finished the first season about a week ago and that was really good. The season got progressively better and better with each episode, delivering more laughs while they went along.

I also really liked the twist, but I'm not thrilled with the prospect of characters getting their memories back. That's just one of those TV contrivances that I don't dig, but I have faith in Mose Schrute to make it watchable.

Do you also have the urge to go back and watch the first season with the context of the twist?  Seriously, I bet there are lots of jokes that are even funnier when you know they are getting worked by some of the other residents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even think about that, but I'm sure it's worthwhile.

By the way, once again, this is another network or cable show that is probably so much better when you're binging it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely. It's also worth researching for all the gags in the background, like shop names. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife loves puns and really fell in love with the show because of all the puns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 6:54 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Catching up on Stan Against Evil with the GF.  Jeffrey Combs' episode was great, but somehow the idea that he could be The Bachelor (excuse me, The Fiance) strains credibility more than witches, ghosts and demons.  (says the guy who has dressed as his Herbert West for Halloweens and cons for 2 years now.)  This season as a whole feels like Gould and company have a much better rhythm than in S1 and I hope they get an S3.

Worked on that show. I️ have a special place in my heart for low budget magic like SAE, and I️ got to meet John McGinley, and he even asked me “what it is I️ do here,” so I’m glad you like it...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Vice Principals but one thing has me wondering if...

Lee wasn't really there at the end when he and Gamby share their look, then Gamby looks back and the chair is empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Showtime free preview is on I just got to see the last ep of Shameless, something I watched religiously when we had Showtime. 

Goddammit I want Showtime again. And when is Ray Donovan on I need to see that this week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...