DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

For some reason I thought they had made Major Payne into a TV show already. I was justifiably shocked to fins out they hadn't.

I mean as far as Bill Murray movies go, if they could make one into a TV series I think the world is ready for a full mini-series of "Where The Buffalo Roam"

James

Or they could film one episode of Groundhog Day, and play it over and over again.

• Like 5

I love Stripes as much as the next guy, but the plot itself isn't worldbreaking. The heart of the movie is Murray and Ramis bouncing off each other and the supporting cast including Candy and the awesome sergeant, with a heathly bit of Larroquette  thrown in as the clueless officer. None of which is available for a series thirty years later so why the fuck are they doing it again?

6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I love Stripes as much as the next guy, but the plot itself isn't worldbreaking. The heart of the movie is Murray and Ramis bouncing off each other and the supporting cast including Candy and the awesome sergeant, with a heathly bit of Larroquette  thrown in as the clueless officer. None of which is available for a series thirty years later so why the fuck are they doing it again?

Its just IP farming. 

• Like 1

Catching up on Stan Against Evil with the GF.  Jeffrey Combs' episode was great, but somehow the idea that he could be The Bachelor (excuse me, The Fiance) strains credibility more than witches, ghosts and demons.  (says the guy who has dressed as his Herbert West for Halloweens and cons for 2 years now.)  This season as a whole feels like Gould and company have a much better rhythm than in S1 and I hope they get an S3.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, J.H. said:

I think the world is ready for a full mini-series of "Where The Buffalo Roam"

This x1000. Just make it a series about Hunter's adventures from all of his writings; that's gold waiting to be mined from the earth. Depp can play young Hunter and Murray can play old Hunter. Would it end up terrible? Probably, but it would be hilarious. 

Just the Great Shark hunt would have enough material for at least a season or two, HBO style(and really no other network would do). The only catch would be I don't think his stuff translates well to screen. Hunter was awesome at descriptions, but its one thing to read about him being off his mind on drugs(or drunk, or both) but no nearly as fun to watch. Which is one reason that I love Fear and loathing in Las Vegas as a book, but the movie not so much. . . 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since the other thread is still locked, Charlie Rose is latest person to be part of the sexual harassment story. 

Now take that in context with the CBS morning show clips that John Oliver loves playing.

I enjoy watching PBS's round wooden table from time to time. But it sounds like he has to go. And for a show as no-frills as his, a replacement can easily be found. 

I caught Letterman's Mark Twain Prize show last night and ended up looking up the list of past recipients. And then I got the tiniest bit sad again that Robin Williams is dead. Outside of wrestling, he's the only celebrity death that makes me go "Man, it's weird to think of him as not being alive." Posthumously, I'm sure they'll do one of those shows in his honour at some point. 

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Good Place renewed for 3rd season.

Sweet, I just finished the first season last night.  I don't know if there has ever been a sitcom with a better premise than The Good Place.  I can't wait to jump into the 2nd season.

• Like 1

I also finished the first season about a week ago and that was really good. The season got progressively better and better with each episode, delivering more laughs while they went along.

I also really liked the twist, but I'm not thrilled with the prospect of characters getting their memories back. That's just one of those TV contrivances that I don't dig, but I have faith in Mose Schrute to make it watchable.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I also finished the first season about a week ago and that was really good. The season got progressively better and better with each episode, delivering more laughs while they went along.

I also really liked the twist, but I'm not thrilled with the prospect of characters getting their memories back. That's just one of those TV contrivances that I don't dig, but I have faith in Mose Schrute to make it watchable.

Do you also have the urge to go back and watch the first season with the context of the twist?  Seriously, I bet there are lots of jokes that are even funnier when you know they are getting worked by some of the other residents.

On 11/19/2017 at 6:54 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Catching up on Stan Against Evil with the GF.  Jeffrey Combs' episode was great, but somehow the idea that he could be The Bachelor (excuse me, The Fiance) strains credibility more than witches, ghosts and demons.  (says the guy who has dressed as his Herbert West for Halloweens and cons for 2 years now.)  This season as a whole feels like Gould and company have a much better rhythm than in S1 and I hope they get an S3.

Worked on that show. I️ have a special place in my heart for low budget magic like SAE, and I️ got to meet John McGinley, and he even asked me “what it is I️ do here,” so I’m glad you like it...

• Like 2