DVDVR Message Board

Ian Rotten claimes he has cancer

That, shooting about ex-girlfriends that no one care about, both guys passing the microphone back and forth, BJ Whitmer trying to do a serious promo in a super phony way while Jacobs just no sells the whole thing about RE-BUILDING IWA-MS~! Indy wrestling at its best.

Axl's a junkie but at least that only hurts himself and close loved ones. Ian seems to have gone out of his way to fuck over everybody.

Who would have thought Axl was the smart one.

No one has. It's a dumb and dumber deal. And Ian must be smart enough to be an effective con man for as long as he was/ is.

Axl's a junkie but that only hurts himself and close loved ones; Ian has gone out of his way to fuck everybody over. But yeah, dumb and dumber, or more appropriately dumb and absolutely horrible.

To elaborate on what I said earlier....

Posted Image

This is the mugshot of former NWA President and promoter Richard Arpin.  Arpin was the "promoter" for the NWA promotion based around the Parkersburg, WV/Marietta, OH area. 

When I first broke in with the NWA up in Pittsburgh, I was always looking for more bookings, and was able to get a carload of guys booked for Arpin on a regular basis.  Arpin was a shady carny motherfucker, and was also an awful promoter and human being. However, I had fun working his shows, because somehow he assembled a good group of workers.  An awful payoff guy too.  I finally had a big falling out with him in 2002 and decided he wasn't worth the effort.  A year or so later, he usurped the NWA Presidency in what was pretty much a coup, where his biggest accomplishment was renewing the NWA's licesning deal w/ TNA Wrestling in exchange for a dark match for his "golden boy" Rocky Reynolds, and promoter Fred Rubinstein getting a try-out as a ref.  Bill Beherens used Arpin's ineptitude to finally take control of the NWA, and shortly Arpin "folded" his promotion up, and began licensing the NWA name to an Ohio promoter by the name of Dave Nelson.  You may remember Nelson as the promoter for WWWA, which supposedly had names under contract, and was claiming a cable network television deal (that obviously never materialized). 

This was in 2004-2005, and Arpin pulled out of the Nelson promotion altogether, claiming he had stomach cancer.  I ended up seeing him at the 2005 NWA Convention, and he looked to have lost 150-100 lbs (Arpin was pushing 400lbs when I was wrestling for him), so I thought perhaps it was true.  After that, I pretty much heard nothing about the guy for two or three years.  It turned out that he had started working as an orderly at a Parkersburg area hospital, and was caught stealing oxycodone, and his wife left him and took the kids.  At that point he started dating an underage girl, and at some point he got busted for it, and did a minor stint in jail. 

His weight-loss due to cancer ravaging his body?  Nope, he had Lap-band surgery.The cancer story was a cover for him getting booted from his own promotion, and to hide the fact he had surgery. 

My understanding was that when he got out of jail, he ended up moving to Florida, where in 2012 he was arrested as part of an undercover sting operation, where he sold 30 kilos of opiates to police officers. Supposedly he caught a 12-year stint in the pokey.  

Part of me is saying "oh, dear God no! Not this again!"But really, this won't be the official DVDVRMB until someone christens it with an all-purpose "Fuck Ian Rotten and IWA-MS" thread.

Seems like only yesterday when IWA MS was the golden promotion of the board too

Does anyone remember what specific incident or time frame the tide started turning on them?

At some point Ian Rotten entered the Tyson zone, so him faking cancer or mixing meth is not out of the realm of reason. Really it was never just one incident that turned people off to IWA-MS, it was a series of stupidity that lead to its current level of disdain.

I think that anyone involved in wrestling has to have a certain amount of shadiness in them... and people like Ian Rotten actually test the boundaries of what someone can get away with.  He keeps getting away with it because he really only harms people in the business.  No one cares about people in the wrestling business, least of all, the actual people in the wrestling business. 

• Like 2