DVDVR Message Board

So, How's It Going?

Gonzo

My dad passed his mental eval and is now resting in a convalescence center close to my mom's house.

He's going to undergo some occupational therapy to help him with his balance and speech and the doctors are going to test his cognitive abilities through game therapy. 

My dad has never been one for puzzles, so I hope that the game therapy doesn't frustrate him so that he resists or avoids trying to get better.

• Like 3

Got one of those “your bank card has been compromised, please call this number immediately” texts, and I fucking bit. I was up to inserting my security code before I realized something was fishy, so I played it safe and had my card locked. But fuck fuck fuckity fuck do I feel dumb.

6 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Got one of those “your bank card has been compromised, please call this number immediately” texts, and I fucking bit. I was up to inserting my security code before I realized something was fishy, so I played it safe and had my card locked. But fuck fuck fuckity fuck do I feel dumb.

Your bank will not request contact from you with a phone number that is not toll free. 

If the phone number has an area code that actually exists, you can call bullshit.

Also, be sure to contact the Fraud Department of the bank that the social engineers were trying to spoof.  Our RDEC has noticed that there seems to be a new phishing scheme targeting elderly Wells Fargo customers and we've issued several bulletins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Your bank will not request contact from you with a phone number that is not toll free. 

If the phone number has an area code that actually exists, you can call bullshit.

Also, be sure to contact the Fraud Department of the bank that the social engineers were trying to spoof.

I learned this after I called my credit union to make sure it was legit (and clearly it wasn’t). Again, boy do I feel fucking stupid.

Just now, Super Ape said:

I learned this after I called my credit union to make sure it was legit (and clearly it wasn’t). Again, boy do I feel fucking stupid.

Do not feel stupid.  People get conned every day and they are not dumb people.  Phishers take advantage of people who are either elderly or have balls to the walls lifestyles that don't take the time to verify incoming service requests.

It happens every day.  You have to be super vigilent.

• Like 4

Just got the student evaluations from last term at one of the universities I work at. Lowest score I’ve ever had. I try to remind myself that it’s an outlier, and that at the other university I was working at I got great ratings, but it still sucks.

• Sad 3

On 3/14/2018 at 11:52 AM, Robert C said:

I'd like to offer a heartfelt fuck you to whoever thought delivering package bombs around here was a good idea.  Hoping whoever it is fucks up and gets caught soon.

seriously.  I've had multiple people who just hear "rash of package bombs in Austin" check up on me.  Seeing that all the victims went to the same church makes me very sure where this is all going, and that it's very Confederate.

• Sad 3

Well, stressing over life and not watching my nutrition has caused me to develop a slight Vitamin B12 deficiency.

I've had chills and body aches for the past two days.  At least it's not the flu, right?  I got a booster shot from the doctor and am feeling a little better today.  I still have a nagging pain in my side, but the shivering has stopped.  That was the worst part.

Last night I had the most restful sleep I've had in a while.  The heating pad and the electric blanket are two of mankind's greatest inventions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Control said:

Just got the student evaluations from last term at one of the universities I work at. Lowest score I’ve ever had. I try to remind myself that it’s an outlier, and that at the other university I was working at I got great ratings, but it still sucks.

Those people are assholes.  They don't know you like we know you.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Control said:

Student evals are a racket. You get one asshole and it's over. Sorry this happened to you.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Jesus Christ if I hear my boss (in the cube next to me) say "synergy," "leverage," or any other Bullshit Bingo word one more time, I can;t be held responsible for what happens next.

Tell him you're going to a conference about how to synergize backwards overflows in a Lean context and then go to the bar and watch basketball all day.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Jesus Christ if I hear my boss (in the cube next to me) say "synergy," "leverage," or any other Bullshit Bingo word one more time, I can;t be held responsible for what happens next.

I was on hold at work yesterday, and the automated ad with accompanying muzak kept asking me if I was managing my data or my data was managing me. 

• Haha 2

On 3/15/2018 at 5:18 AM, StuntmanCrowley said:

I celebrated 6 months alcohol free last week, which is the longest stretch of time I've had without drinking in the past 10 years.  

I have a different outlook on my sobriety, as I don't want to abstain from drinking for the rest of my time on this earth, but I fully understand that right now and for the foreseeable future, I can't handle it or the responsibility of it, so I have gone the teetotal route.  I've been flourishing personally and professionally without it, so I'm glad I know I can't handle it 

As of 6/26 this year it will be thirty years since I've had a drink. I've never said that I quit forever, I just say I'm not drinking today. One day at a time it adds up to the point where not only do you not want to drink, you can't imagine why you ever did. Sure, if I could have a couple of drinks like normal folk, I would, but I have never in my life wanted to have "just a couple", once I start I keep going until something interferes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been suspended and locked out of my twitter account.

So to review, allowed on Twitter: Post repeatedly that children who were involved in a mass shooting were trained actors, and encourage harassment of them at every turn (hi, James Woods, you're human garbage).

Not allowed on Twitter: Tweeting the South Park quote "You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!"

They had better let me back in, if that's seriously the thing I get sunk for, Jesus Christ. I live a pretty isolated, rural life and social media is how I stay in touch with the vast majority of people I know. Huge first world problem okay, but I am pretty furious about this. It just feels so isolating right now.

• Sad 3

Had a meeting cancelled this morning because folks are still on lockdown after last night's bomb.  Doesn't quite top a Hezbollah rocket attack for getting a meeting cancelled, but it's up there.

I got a little jumpy after the one last night was uncomfortably close to my house (though not close enough for us to be included in the lockdown).  Damn raccoons knocking things over on our deck didn't help me sleep any.

Just now, Robert C said:

Had a meeting cancelled this morning because folks are still on lockdown after last night's bomb.  Doesn't quite top a Hezbollah rocket attack for getting a meeting cancelled, but it's up there.

I got a little jumpy after the one last night was uncomfortably close to my house (though not close enough for us to be included in the lockdown).  Damn raccoons knocking things over on our deck didn't help me sleep any.

I keep forgetting your in Tejas, man.  Keep safe, Robert.

I have been delaying getting my AC fixed in my car for some time now, and I think it's finally come to a head as I can't get cold air in it at all, and it's not taking any coolant. I drive a 2010 Ford Focus, that has been through its fair shares of trials and tribulations with me.

I'm at a little bit of an impasse. Do I sink the over $1k to get it fixed, or do I say "screw it" and try ti get a cheap new car that I can pay off in like two years (thinking like a $10-12k priced car).

Ugh, my finances do not need this right now.

I've had receding gums for a few years, and I've been putting off getting them looked at like a knob because I hadn't gotten set up with a new dentist since I moved. This morning while I was getting ready for work I brushed off most of what was protecting the back of my front bottom teeth, and now they feel completely exposed. It got worse when I tried to eat something at lunch. My wife's dentist said they're booked for two weeks and if I want to get put in as an emergency I have to call same day.  Now I have to call first thing tomorrow (my only day off) to try to get a babysitter to watch my daughter while I go, all with a snowstorm looming over our heads. Nearly all of my big problems are because my passivity about everyday small problems ends up always leading me to dealing with some dumb crisis I coud have easily avoided.  

Dogs are expensive,

mine keeps vomiting. It’s a regular occurrence. Over his life we’ve moved to special gastronomic food and gotten a prescription for antacids. Still, it keeps recurring, so today I went and got blood work done. $350. Hopefully I get some answers.

poor little guy.

Got a note from my son's daycare saying they've implemented twice daily IED sweeps on the playground.  On one hand, I'm glad they're doing it.  On the other, fuck all this.

Latest bombs got sent from near my house.  That, along with the fairly obscure location of the tripwire bomb, means there's a decent chance this asshole lives near me.