DVDVR Message Board

2016 NCAAF: CONF. CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Dolfan in NYC

Thing is, if Colorado wins, Michigan will have beaten two of the five conference champions head to head. Strength of schedule, head to head, and conference titles are what they say matter.

My gut is Wisconsin would jump Michigan, Penn State wouldn't.

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

Smart on their part.  They started falling off big time the moment Mariota left.  It was clear Helfrich was not the guy.

Oh please. They were two scores away from going 11-2 the year after he left and this year's team was super young. One bad year and you're out? Really?

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Oh please. They were two scores away from going 11-2 the year after he left and this year's team was super young. One bad year and you're out? Really?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-oregons-fall-under-mark-helfrich-ranks-all-time/

It's one of the worst declines by a program ever.

Oregon has no interest in returning to the mediocre outpost they were prior to Kelly.

• Like 1

Because no one outside of hardcore college football fans and Michiganders have ever heard of WMU. 

The bowls are not about rewarding teams, they're about making money.  Navy is a hell of a lot easier to sell than Western effin Michigan. 

• Like 1

Also, what happens if Clemson and Washington lose?

In theory, "move up the next two" but that would be Michigan and the B1G champ, and, clearly, there is no way the B1G gets 75% of the field. Does Colorado move all the way up from 8 to 4? If so, do you take two teams Michigan has beat over them, or do you take two different teams that failed to win their division? Do you try to avoid some of that debate and jump the Bedlam winner even more? 

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, what happens if Clemson and Washington lose?

In theory, "move up the next two" but that would be Michigan and the B1G champ, and, clearly, there is no way the B1G gets 75% of the field. Does Colorado move all the way up from 8 to 4? If so, do you take two teams Michigan has beat over them, or do you take two different teams that failed to win their division? Do you try to avoid some of that debate and jump the Bedlam winner even more? 

Michigan would not have to worry about any of this if they didn't lose to stinky old Iowa.

6 hours ago, Dewar said:

Michigan would not have to worry about any of this if they didn't lose to stinky old Iowa.

Iowa won 8 games, beat #3, and beat #16 by 30. That's a top 15 resume in the SEC :) They're not great but they're definitely not stinky. 

• Like 1

If Wisconsin wins and Clemson or Washington lose, I think that would put the Badgers in the top four, that's literally the only scenario where that's even possible.

I tend to agree. I *think* Wisconsin would jump Michigan (and hold off Colorado if necessary) given that they only lost by seven at the Big House.

Penn State is a whole different can of worms. On one hand, it's hard to leave them out if you take Ohio State, given that Pedo State beat Ohio and would have the conference title (but one more loss) while it would also be hard to take them over Michigan who, you know, beat PSU by 39 fucking points.

If I'm the committee, I'm all but begging Clemson to win and Washington to win big. (Reading between the lines from what they said Tuesday, it sounds like at least some of the committee still wanted Michigan over Washington. And if the Huskies barely beat Colorado, the argument for Michigan above them might gain momentum.) Otherwise Sunday might be one hell of a discussion.

Alabama will sleep-walk through Wisconsin or whomever then probably punch Ohio State in the balls a few times and win by 20 after falling asleep in the 2nd quarter.

I feel like Ohio State is the only team with the athletes to keep up with Bama, but they'd have to play an almost perfect game.

Clemson did give them all they could handle last year, but they just haven't looked that good this year.