DVDVR Message Board

2016 NCAAF: CONF. CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Dolfan in NYC

I need everyone to read this.  Oh. My. God. http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/nov/27/tom-murphys-ap-poll-nov-27/

"Yes, I voted Michigan higher than Ohio State." 

And not just higher, but TWO spots higher.   

As per AP... here are the RANKINGZ~

#1 Elephant-fails.gif?gs=a

#2 urban-handshake.gif

#3 tumblr_np4guavfFt1tq9q5vo2_400.gif

#4 tumblr_nf9dd8QdZH1spy7ono1_400.gif

#5 Michigan-Fan-Reacts-to-Botch-Punt-vs-Mic

The teams actually playing for the B1G championship are ranked 6 & 8 respectively.  But hey, a 4 team playoff solved ALL the problems!  All of them.

Yes.

• Like 1

The Michigan gif has made me completely forget all the horrors of MSU's season this year.....ok not all.......what the hell happened?......ohhhh gif yes bring me back to last year.......bring me back to short lived glory

I also really liked the 6 team format idea when it was first debated (more than that is too many, honestly).

4 Conference Champions (1 Conference Champ from the Power 5 not guaranteed)

2 At Large Players.

Give your overall #1 and #2 seeds a bye.

The controversy would then be over who other than Alabama is allotted that Bye week. (Probably Clemson).

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'll always be in favor of sixteen (all ten conference champions, six at large), but it ain't happening anytime soon. If ever.

Setting it up is easy.  The NCAA rules to say you may only participate in 10 regular season games. Period.  One conference championship. 4 rounds of playoffs (built into the current bowl system).  (Winner/Runner-Up play 15 times, which is the same as now.) 

All 10 conference champs. The six at larges are the top 4 non-champions by record/ranking.  The last two are the Wild Card spots: a) team with a perfect record, or b) Notre Dame/highest ranked independent/#5 non-conference champ, whichever is higher.   Seeds based on committee decision or averaging the polls.

The impossible part is getting schools to leave money on the table by reducing the college football schedule. 

I have no problem with the guy voting Michigan higher. If you think they're the better team - and I would say they outplayed Ohio - then vote that way, especially given the finish . *I* wouldn't do that but I understand someone doing it. 

NCAA Basketball having such a big tournament is why I pay no attention to the regular season but watch every March Madness game I can. Every good team gets in, so why should I be excited about #4 playing #7 until it actually matters. It isn't just leaving money on the table for teams to suddenly have three less games, but broadcast partners would will likely see a dip in ratings during the season when the games mean so much less than they do now.

I wouldn't mind six, to reward the best two teams with a bye, but anything else would just be too big of a change at this point, I think the majority of schools, fans, etc. wouldn't embrace it.

They play a lot less games and there's about 1/3 as many teams, so a larger tournament would kind of be dumb past a point. There's 351 D1 Basketball Teams, 19.3%(68) make the playoffs. There are 128 FBS Football Teams, as it stands 3.125% of them get in the playoff. To be equal we'd need about a 24 team playoff which seems a bit much. 6-12 could work if done right, but you'd have to schedule a few less regular season games to work around stuff.

It would be interesting how they'd seed a 32-team format anyway. Four 8-team regionals, probably sorted in some way, basketball can be rather all over the place. So, you'd have like Alabama vs Houston, Boise State, Utah or Washington State as an 8 see based on the top 32 in the AP right now and they would have to face in theory one of the 5-8 schools to get into the FINAL FOUR OF COLLEGE BALL OMG. Alabama vs Wisconsin! Imagine the horror that would wrought. 108-3 Alabama after 3 quarters.

1. Alabama

2. Ohio St.

3. Clemson

4. Washington 

5. Michigan

6. Wisconsin 

7. Penn St. 

8. Colorado

9. Oklahoma

10. Oklahoma St. 

Big XII is out. Committee showing them no respect this week. A win for either won't do much to move their position.  I think Colorado is also out. They will not jump up into the top 4 with a win over Washington.

If Washington wins they are in.  If Washington loses it's gonna be interesting. I think they would take the B1G title winner.  Ditto If Clemson loses.  I think Michigan can get in but it will take Clemson and Washington to both lose. That's how I think they'll do it.