DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

How did Varys point him to the Tower of the Hand? Sure he helped Jamie free Tyrion but I always assumed Tyrion was just familiar with the layout of the castle and knew he was under the Tower of the Hand. I can see a casual viewer being "Oh there just happens to be a secret door to Tywin's room?" Buuullshit.

Tyrion knew where he was, and he was in full on rage mode, and Varys kinda "reminded" him where he was and did his little "give a nudge without giving a nudge" thing to give Tyrion that last little push to at least go up there, where finding Shae would be the last thing to send Tyrion over the edge to killing Tywin.  Varys didn't pull the trigger, but he might as well have (because you *KNOW* he knew that Shae was in Tywin's bed).

Varys leaving with Tyrion is an interesting switch up, and almost necessary, since I don't think we've seen hide or hair of Varys since Tywin died in the books.  If he's handing with Tyrion until the handoff to Aegon and Connington, it'll at least give him half a season of stuff to do.

• Like 1

Varys leaving with Tyrion is an interesting switch up, and almost necessary, since I don't think we've seen hide or hair of Varys since Tywin died in the books.  If he's handing with Tyrion until the handoff to Aegon and Connington, it'll at least give him half a season of stuff to do.

Going to put this in spoilers since I wonder how you can have read Book V and forgotten this but

he kills Pycelle and Kevan Lannister.

I forgot it because I'm a fucking idiot and brain farted on that important happening.

WHich I know wonder how it will happen with Varys apparently on his way to Essos.

Lots of Greyjoys, lots of Dorne. Lots of their timeline is messed up. Bolton's at Winterfell, Sansa'a already leveled up, none of the Greyjoy stuff has happened.

I have no idea how they'll incorporate the Dorne stuff considering how dull it is and how its so not related to anything else we've seen on the show. I could see the entire Quentyn Martell thing getting excised for futility without the show missing a beat.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the Greyjoy and Martell plots gets bumped to the season after next, or excised completely. One of the major issues Feast had as a narrative was that it took two huge detours into plots that were only tangentially related to what else was going on with the established major characters. I would expect Weiss & Benioff to recognize that and adjust the show's narrative accordingly.

Personally, I'm for all that business in Dorne getting dumped because it was mostly boring and the Greyjoys are rad.

So, next season, I imagine they have to combine the next two books.

Lots of Greyjoys, lots of Dorne. Lots of their timeline is messed up. Bolton's at Winterfell, Sansa'a already leveled up, none of the Greyjoy stuff has happened.

I have no idea how they'll incorporate the Dorne stuff considering how dull it is and how its so not related to anything else we've seen on the show. I could see the entire Quentyn Martell thing getting excised for futility without the show missing a beat.

And Lady Stoneheart is lame.

I thought the Dorne stuff was boring on first read. When I re-read the stuff with the Sand Snakes and the tragedy of Myrcella, etc.... I am really looking forward to the Dorne footage. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the Greyjoy and Martell plots gets bumped to the season after next, or excised completely. One of the major issues Feast had as a narrative was that it took two huge detours into plots that were only tangentially related to what else was going on with the established major characters. I would expect Weiss & Benioff to recognize that and adjust the show's narrative accordingly.

Personally, I'm for all that business in Dorne getting dumped because it was mostly boring and the Greyjoys are rad.

Can you feel that? It's all of my hate.

I'm pretty sure when trying to figure out how to defend the castle before the battle of Blackwater Tyrion looked at the layout of the castle with all it's secret tunnels so he probably noticed the one he used in the episode.

The conspiracy theory that says Varys manipulated Tyrion into killing Tywin also sometimes has him poisoning Tywin first, so that even if Tyrion doesn't do it, Tywin will still die in a way that people will blame Tyrion for. There's that one poison that constipates you to death... hence Tywin being on the toilet, but not shitting until he actually expires.

Apparently the casting notices they already sent out include Doran and Arianna Martell, Three Sand Snakes and Areo Hotah, but no Quentyn. But they also have the Waif but no Kindly Man, so maybe they're just partial. No Euron Crow's Eye either.

• Like 1

I think Gatiss was actually Tycho, so there's a chance he shows up to do the loan deal with Jon, which might be this season of Jon gets stabbitied at the end.

Queen visits Game of Thrones set in Belfast

https:///gu.com/p/3qcte

This is only on every site on the internet. But hey thanks for breaking pointless news!

Yeah....what a fucking idiot.  Why would anyone post news relevant to GoT in the thread?  Anyhoo....there is this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/omg-the-mountain-from-game-of-thrones-is-only-25?bffb

• Like 1

Prince Phillip picked up the knife Ramsay used to choppy choppy Theon's Pee Pee. Which was nice.

The thing with the Mountain is, he's the Hound's older brother. But the actor playing him is a couple of decades younger than Rory McCann.

Told you so, didn't I? All the clues were there - and really, from the book plot so far, she doesn't really have a role other than turning Brienne against Jaime*. Which, in order for that to happen, requires things to have happened that haven't happened.

See when the Queen & Prince Phillip met the cast, you can tell that that's Sansa and Ygritte and Jon and Cersei. But Con Hill doesn't look a bit like Varys with hair.

* You know how sometimes you look at somwthing you've seen hundreds of times before, and you see something new in it? I've looked at Jaime Lannisters first name probably a thousand times, and I've never clocked that it's French for 'I Love'. And I got Sansa's name being French for 'Without a' as soon as I saw it the first time. It was preordained Lady would die, she was owned by Le Stark sans a Loup. Although Stark is French for Strong, and that's probably coincidence because there's already a House Strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished book five, was hoping for more to it. Better than Feast for Crows, but that is not saying much.

Not that I'm implying that you should spend the next six months rereading the books, but I think A Feast for Crows is the book you'd enjoy rereading the most.  Once you realize who the new characters are, and stop being pissed off that they are in the book and your favorite characters aren't, it is really good.  My job allows me to sit here with earbuds and listen to podcasts, music, and books on tape.  I listened to the entire series, which is really well done by the way, and Feast for Crows was my favorite after listening to it.  I hated it when I read it, but I really think it was based much more on the fact that it was so focused on people I didn't care about at the time.  After Storm of Swords I wanted more than anything to know what happened to Tyrion, and I didn't get it.  I got a book full of Cersei, who was the last person I wanted to get more of at the time.  Now, I understand that Cersei is the character who you hate for what she did to Ned, Sansa, and Tyrion, and getting into her mind seems like it would be the worst way to spend a thousand pages. 

Once you realize she is a crazy person who can't help herself but to feel like the world is fighting against her, it gets really interesting.  The thing that makes it a chore the first time through is that you don't realize she is a crazy person when the book starts.  Until A Feast for Crows you can very easily think that she is a smart manipulator, because there are enough smart people around her that her ineptitude doesn't really shine through.  Then all of a sudden Tywin is dead, Tyrion is on the run, Varys has disappeared, and Littlefinger is in the Eyrie, and she has all of the power, and slowly but surely you realize that this person who you hated but respected her G wasn't a G at all.  She is insane and everything she does isn't just bad for the realm, but bad for everyone.  It is bad for her, bad for Tommen, bad for Jaime, and especially bad for anyone who has hitched their wagon to the Lannister cause.  She just turns everything that Robert, Tywin, Tyrion, and the rest of the small council built into a pile of steaming shit in no time at all, and the whole time she is cackling to herself like she is smarter than everyone.  It is almost too subtle the first time through, but when you go back through it knowing where it ends up it reads a lot better.

• Like 2