DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I really liked last night's show. I know that some people might complain about Sansa's change, but it makes her more of a player in the bigger story than someone sitting on the sidelines.

As a show watcher who has read the books, it is new territory for me because I am worried about her character. I don't want anything bad to happen to her, which it inevitably will the longer she is around Ramsey. This is the first time in a while I've had real emotional stakes In a character on the show.

They're doing a lot of things that make things make less sense to anyone who has any knowledge of the books.  Brienne and Pod decide to go around Moat Cailin, which is one of the most important strongholds in the North because it is the only way through The Neck.  They'd either have to hop a boat and go north by sea or find a Crannogman to guide them through.  I don't expect them to do either, they'll just figure it out.  Honestly it wouldn't be that bad if Ramsey didn't have to take Moat Cailin last season because their entire army was stuck south as long as the Ironmen held Moat Cailin.

Tyrion, who is supposed to be one of the smartest people in the show, goes to a brothel, strongly insinuates that he is a Lannister, and gets kidnapped.  That makes absolutely zero narrative sense.  Is Tyrion smart or is he dumb?  If he is smart, he would never do any of this shit, and if he is dumb, why are we invested in him getting to Dany in the first place?  There are literally hundreds of ways to get to this point, and this is probably one of the ten dumbest.  They could have been ambushed on the road by bandits or Dothraki.  Jorah could have seen them while trying to get a room at an inn.  They could have not let the smartest, most wanted, most recognizable dwarf in the series not walk around talking about his wealth, knowing a queen, and not wearing the hood that kind of hid his face.  I don't care if they change things for TV, I care that they make stupid changes that don't make sense. 

Y'all need to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb at this point...

I'm digging all the changes because it adds a level of excitement. Tyrion has always been a supremely intelligent dude who is also a wreck.  

Tyrion, who is supposed to be one of the smartest people in the show, goes to a brothel, strongly insinuates that he is a Lannister, and gets kidnapped. That makes absolutely zero narrative sense. Is Tyrion smart or is he dumb? If he is smart, he would never do any of this shit, and if he is dumb, why are we invested in him getting to Dany in the first place? There are literally hundreds of ways to get to this point, and this is probably one of the ten dumbest. They could have been ambushed on the road by bandits or Dothraki. Jorah could have seen them while trying to get a room at an inn. They could have not let the smartest, most wanted, most recognizable dwarf in the series not walk around talking about his wealth, knowing a queen, and not wearing the hood that kind of hid his face. I don't care if they change things for TV, I care that they make stupid changes that don't make sense.

Tyrion was pretty loose with glib hints at who he was in the books, so I don't think that's a show problem. I feel like most of the lines he dropped on the whore were taken straight from the book.

Case in point:  Qyburn.

THE MONSTER lurches from the operating table and it's the most mundane shit in the world to him.  No "ITS ALLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE~!" he expects and knows whatever he's doing will work, it's only a matter of time.  Which is even creepier.

Also looks like they're going to tease and bulid to Sansa catching her first glimpse of "Reek", and won't that be fun once she does and the audience sees her realize just what she's in for in Life With Ramsay.

Show Qyburn is fucking awesome.  I always imagined him lurching around like a creep, but smirking, laid back, unconcerned, nonchalant, Qyburn is far superior than what I imagined.  He is trying to bring a man back from the dead with the same attitude that I send emails.  It is crazy as shit to everyone else that he dabbles in necromancy, but it is just everyday work for him.  I like that it isn't a huge deal to him, it takes a character who is way out there and brings him down to earth in a way I didn't expect.

Show Qyburn is fucking awesome.  I always imagined him lurching around like a creep, but smirking, laid back, unconcerned, nonchalant, Qyburn is far superior than what I imagined.  He is trying to bring a man back from the dead with the same attitude that I send emails.  It is crazy as shit to everyone else that he dabbles in necromancy, but it is just everyday work for him.  I like that it isn't a huge deal to him, it takes a character who is way out there and brings him down to earth in a way I didn't expect.

"Your new registration tags should arrive in 4-6 weeks.  Yes, yes, and your flesh golem too."

He is the banality of Evil.

I'm digging all the changes because it adds a level of excitement. Tyrion has always been a supremely intelligent dude who is also a wreck.  

I can't. If they cut VICTARION~! and all the Kraken shenanigans I'll be pissed.

(in b4 EVA says Feast is the worst book ever etc)

Ha. I don't know. I finally finished DANCE a little while back, and now I feel like FEAST has some pretty solid competition for Worst of the Series.

Ha. I don't know. I finally finished DANCE a little while back, and now I feel like FEAST has some pretty solid competition for Worst of the Series.

Feast is probably the second best book in the series upon reread.  The first three books have a lot of loose ends, and Feast ties them all together.  I didn't like it the first time, but I've liked it more every time since.

• Like 1

Someone I work with commented that he doesn't think it even makes sense for Martin to write anymore books.  Any thoughts on that?  I like that the show is veering off.  There are some major things I miss, but I'm excited to see how some of these things pan out.  I'm not too upset that they have cut out about 20,000 pages of Daenerys and crew walking/sailing.  

Someone I work with commented that he doesn't think it even makes sense for Martin to write anymore books.  Any thoughts on that?  I like that the show is veering off.  There are some major things I miss, but I'm excited to see how some of these things pan out.  I'm not too upset that they have cut out about 20,000 pages of Daenerys and crew walking/sailing.  

I know, I for one, would definitely feel cheated if he didn't finish the books. I do enjoy the show & find some of the changes intriguing, however, I still like his version the best.

The show creators were pretty faithful to the source material within the confines they had to work with (budgets, actor commitments, timelines, etc.). I am excited that they are veering off the path. 

At this point, I want Rickon and Shaggydog to return, kill a bunch of dragons and whitewalkers, chop Tommen's head off and take the Iron Throne.  

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

This show has earned a lot good will with me over the seasons, but it's starting to drift too far from the books.  Shit I've been excited to see is being cut out completely, such as the Kingsmoot and Victarion.  I mean the coolest helm besides The Hound's isn't going to get any screentime.  That's some bullshit. 

Sansa just needed a 5 minute pep talk from Littlefinger and she's all of a sudden craftier than a Jo-Ann Fabrics store and knows how to play a game played by legit sharks in Roose and Ramsey Bolton.  She basically strolled into a pool hall to beat Fast Eddie Felson and Minnesota Fats and couldn't even tell you the rules of 9-ball.  Okay.

On the other hand seeing Littlefinger -- with all the shady shit he's done -- get indignant with Roose Bolton because Roose -- after all the shady shit he's done -- would actually tamper with his mail was pretty hilarious, as was Roose basic response of "yep and I'm gonna do it again when you write back.  Fucker."

Takes some of the sting out of them almost completely messing up with Asha/Yara and reducing Loras to "the gay homosexual guy who does lots of really gay stuff [and nothing else]" anyway.