DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Well, I mean, if she doesn't, that what's the fucking point of Lady Stoneheart in the books?  

I saw a theory somewhere that while the magic words work, ol' Lord of Light still is picky about *who* it works on.  Beldric was resurrected, repeatedly, for a reason, and he handed that over to Cat, so there has to be a reason somewhere, right? 

Or ol' George was just trolling the shit out of us.

all previous resurrections are to establish the precedent of possibility so that when Jon gets rezzed it doesn't look like Plot Armor/Main Character Syndrome/Author Pulling Shit Out Of His Ass.

Lest Jon Snow dying feel like when John Cena gets fired.

[even Victarion's hand is part of this, since it demonstrates the Red God Revival Mojo on a smaller scale]

And even then, I'm pretty sure the whole "Jon gets resurrected by the Red God" thing is just a creative way to get him out of the Night's Watch so he can be Lord High Targaryen, although Aegon is the actual heir, then Jon, then Dany.

Unless the theory that Tyrion is Aerys kid is also right.

Or that Jamie actually is (hoooo boy wouldn't that be a kicker) 

My biggest problem with the casting for the season is that they didn't cast Arianne Martell.  I've been waiting to claim her as my baby's momma, but they decided they didn't want to put a beautiful woman, who uses sex as a weapon in the show.  Do you think we'll get Darkstar?  Will Sam make it to The Citadel? 

Wait, no Arianne? How in the seven hells is that going to work?

I'm going to watch the Dornish plots without falling in lust with a new actress this season...who am I kidding, I'll probably lust after one or some of the Sand Snakes.

They only cast three Sand Snakes. Even though Oberyn said in the show he has eight daughters.

See that thing in the other thread, where people were talking about episode spoilers leaking out? Wouldn't it be funny if it was non-readers thinking they were getting revenge by saying things they think readers don't know... but we do? Like, Hey, you book readers think you know everything, but you didn't know Arya's training to be a Faceless Man now, did you? You didn't know Jon gets made Lord Commander, and then is literally stabbed in the back by his brothers! You didn't know Daenerys opens the fighting pits, and Jorah has to fight in them.

They'd never say that last one. Most people who haven't read the book think she's called Khaleesi, and even the ones who know she's called Daenerys could never spell it right. They think Jorah's name is Sir Friendzone as well.

• Like 1

I don't recall and I don't have the book handy, so did "Mance" speak at his execution? I don't think he did. If not, I'd say tonight effectively puts the kibosh on that subplot, as well.

And if so, boy, they really didn't get a lot out of him on the show. Can't help but think he might've been a more dynamic character if they had gotten Dominic West for the part like they wanted initially.

Hm. So, no one I watched the premiere with (myself included) watched the leaked eps, but all know the books. We were debating on whether the final scene of tonight will follow the novels, or go a different route and write that char off with more finality...

Having watched 3 of the episodes, i think there is a big divergence coming regarding marriages. But i wanted to talk to a book friend about that, since im not 100% sure about that.

Edit: my friend said "that is beyond where things are in the books."

Solid episode first season.  Bummed by no check in with Arya.

RIP Mance Rayder.  Very significant departure from the books.  Maybe Snow will not get kacked after all?

Lots of divergence.

I think Jon getting offed is significant enough that they have to do it.  Even with the Mance line, I think they can still pull the switcheroo later.

No Arianne makes me wonder how they're going to pull off the Dorne story, since she was central to most of it.  Also, lack of Victarion or basically *anything* Iron Isles related yet still having the Walk of Shame happen makes me thing that Magaery is going to have more to do with Cersei's downfall than Cersei herself.  

With no Lady Stoneheart, just what they hell are they going to do with Brianne?  And with Varys in Essos now with Tyrion and heading right for Dany, are they dropping the Aegon storyline altogether?  I mean, Varys basically told Tyrion last night that he's been a Targaryen agent the whole time, so why hold out with the Aegon switch now?

The thing with Dominic West is, he turned down playing Mance because he didn't want to film in Iceland for a month. But then a couple of months later he did a Charity walk to the South Pole with Prince Harry and some Invictus games guys (wounded warriors in US parlance. Injured ex-servicemen).

He said Prince Harry's iPod is full of 'that music soldiers like. Y'know, heavy thrash metal'.

Why did they drop the Valonquar bit from Cersei's prophecy? That's the most important part of it, no?

So how much book plot can we just throw out the window now?

No ghost of Winterfell.  No Aegon.  No Val.  Has Quinton been cast?  Why did they remove the "When your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you," part from the Maggy the Frog prophecy?  That explains so much about why she hates Tyrion and wants him dead. No Tysha.  No Penny. Am I missing anything?