DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Oh, and could we please get back to whatever the fuck happened with Ned's son whose name I can't even remember because we're nearly half a season in and there's been no update?

He's not going to be in this season at all, or at least that's what I remember reading prior to the start of the season.

Wow. Wonderful.

Somehow I forgot all about that crew and thought you confused Ned with Robert Baratheon.

So now I expect a scene exclusively devoted to Gendry just rowing and trying not to fall into the water.

EDIT: BEATEN!

Hey, you think he has it bad, poor Gendry is presumably still rowing around the ocean.

Now I'm hoping that he'll be rowing by when Bronn and Jaime need to escape with the princess.  That would be the most ridiculous coincidence ever, but ultimately hilarious.

Hey, you think he has it bad, poor Gendry is presumably still rowing around the ocean.

Now I'm hoping that he'll be rowing by when Bronn and Jaime need to escape with the princess.  That would be the most ridiculous coincidence ever, but ultimately hilarious.

They all can't fit into the boat and then they toss him.

It really would be. I haven't been digging this season very much at all, and it's not just because of the slower transitional episodes that typically start the seasons off. This was the "shit gets real" episode that's supposed to hook everyone hard and it still was a major disappointment, especially after hearing there's nothing in the books they were trying to do justice with such an illogical way for the Unsullied and Barristan to go down. All around these episodes have felt like they're not dealing with the rich source material the show is typically adapting and has much more of a "made for TV" feel that most fantasy shows are plagued by.

OK, so you guys have noticed this too?  I'm having an issue with this season not because they're changing things, but because they are dumbing down everything to a point that it makes the world less rich.  There are a shitload of little things this season that just ignore details that make the world seem real.  They set up Loras Tyrell as a great fighter in the first season, but since then that part of his character has been forgotten.  Mace Tyrell, who in the books is a person who takes himself too seriously and isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is, has been turned into a buffoon.  This dude basically did the cabbage patch when he was told that he needed to go spend his money to pay someone else's debt.  What kind of idiot would be so happy about paying debts that he didn't accrue?

This one I saw differently.  He wanted to pay that part of the crown's (really the Lannister's) debt because 1) he could afford it and 2) they would be in even deeper to him.  They talked back in season 1 about how deeply the crown was in debt to the Lannister family and how much power that gave them.  Now that they are in debt themselves, the more the Tyrell's take it on, the more they have the option to pressure the throne.

That's why I thought he jumped at the chance to pay off the bank rather than go and try to renegotiate it.

It really would be. I haven't been digging this season very much at all, and it's not just because of the slower transitional episodes that typically start the seasons off. This was the "shit gets real" episode that's supposed to hook everyone hard and it still was a major disappointment, especially after hearing there's nothing in the books they were trying to do justice with such an illogical way for the Unsullied and Barristan to go down. All around these episodes have felt like they're not dealing with the rich source material the show is typically adapting and has much more of a "made for TV" feel that most fantasy shows are plagued by.

OK, so you guys have noticed this too?  I'm having an issue with this season not because they're changing things, but because they are dumbing down everything to a point that it makes the world less rich.  There are a shitload of little things this season that just ignore details that make the world seem real.  They set up Loras Tyrell as a great fighter in the first season, but since then that part of his character has been forgotten.  Mace Tyrell, who in the books is a person who takes himself too seriously and isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is, has been turned into a buffoon.  This dude basically did the cabbage patch when he was told that he needed to go spend his money to pay someone else's debt.  What kind of idiot would be so happy about paying debts that he didn't accrue?

This one I saw differently.  He wanted to pay that part of the crown's (really the Lannister's) debt because 1) he could afford it and 2) they would be in even deeper to him.  They talked back in season 1 about how deeply the crown was in debt to the Lannister family and how much power that gave them.  Now that they are in debt themselves, the more the Tyrell's take it on, the more they have the option to pressure the throne.

That's why I thought he jumped at the chance to pay off the bank rather than go and try to renegotiate it.

Maybe he's the great ancestor from those Sprint commercials where the mother and daughter just spend money while working there arms bidding up an item on auction.

I would agree that certain characters are in a lull, but Jon Snow and The One True King are at their most badass right now.

Most of the points Craig made are problems in the books as well as the show, but I imagine that HBO will fix some of these problems as the season goes on.  It's HBO's story from here on out either way.

• Like 1

Most of the points Craig made are problems in the books as well as the show, but I imagine that HBO will fix some of these problems as the season goes on.  It's HBO's story from here on out either way.

Without spoilers of course...  are we at the point now where they have caught up to the books? 

Also, there's a few things that are still very interesting to me.  I enjoy Queen Marg very much. and I really want to see Stannis lead his troops into battle again.  Plus, it's the Boltons and fuck them. 

Arya's voyage has not been as interesting as I had hoped.   I need Mother of Dragons to get off her ass and do something. I feel like she's been sitting around for years.

Without spoilers of course...  are we at the point now where they have caught up to the books? 

Also, there's a few things that are still very interesting to me.  I enjoy Queen Marg very much. and I really want to see Stannis lead his troops into battle again.  Plus, it's the Boltons and fuck them. 

Arya's voyage has not been as interesting as I had hoped.   I need Mother of Dragons to get off her ass and do something. I feel like she's been sitting around for years.

Some storylines have caught up to the books.

Some [most] are "into the fifth book"

Some are still "in the fourth book"

Some even seem to be a little ahead of the books (but that's kinda conjecture/prediction on my part, with one VERY CLEAR exception last season).

Some are complete deviations from the books and cannot be gauged on that metric.

Pretty sure that by the end of Season 5 every plot line will be equal to or beyond where things are at the end of book 5.  Seasons 6 and 7 should be completely uncharted territory for all, even if Book 6 does finally come out next year.

[i don't want to say which is which in this thread lest it function as an indirect spoiler]

GRRM knows how he wants the main event of his wrestlemania to end (and has told the show's producers what said finish is).

If they pass him, they pass him (and deep down I think we all knew this was going to happen, given the glacial pace at which the later books have been coming out) and however they have to book the last leg of the build, whatever programs they have to bump from the climax, so be it. The Go-Home Raw and WM Undercard are in their hands, and GRRM will (hopefully) get out his official/original version of it whenever he can.  It will likely be very different.  Two vastly variant journeys to one more or less common destination.

• Like 1

There's supposed to be 7 books, ultimately.  Loosely corresponding 1:1 with 7 seasons of the show.

Only 5 books have been published (and book 5 didn't even get published until after Season 1 aired) so it will soon have to cease to be an "adaptation" and start being a "based on" production.  But this is only the last book if he gives up (or dies).  However it is virtually certain now (if there were any doubt remaining) that we'll see the end of this story before we read it.

To add on, there is no release date for book 6 and it most certainly will not be out in 2015.  They will be filming season 6 at some point in 2015, so the show could finish with TWO books still left to be written.  This is assuming they go for the rumored 7 or 8 seasons, which seems to be the plan.  

People have already mentioned that some characters are caught up to the books while some still have a books worth of material, but even during season 4 there were some reverse-spoiler type moments that were beyond the books.  For example, midway through season 4 when the white walkers take the baby to their weirdo fortress place (land of always winter) and apparently turn him into one of them.  That is beyond even the 5th book, as no point of view character has ever been that far North.

I need Mother of Dragons to get off her ass and do something. I feel like she's been sitting around for years.

A good example of what I was talking about without being a spoiler. Dany sitting around forever is a book problem as much as it is a show problem.

Interesting so what's the plan?  HBO does what they want?  Martin writes a different story than HBO is going to tell?  Interesting for sure but I've never heard of such a thing.

I read an article before the season started that the HBO show will end one way and the Books a different way because Martin sees the show ending one way while The two creators see it a different way.

GRRM said on his blog that after season 2 started, he was having lunch with a top HBO executive, and said HBO guy told him they wanted the show to run ten years. So even if they do the book ending, that might not be the ending ending.

That's another thing that bugs me. HBO isn't really being cheap, but at the same time, I want to say, stop being so fucking cheap. It's like your most watched show ever.

I think that the end game has to be way different between the books and the show, mainly because there are so many missing characters.  So many of the characters who are seemingly intergral to the end just aren't on the show.  A Dance of Dragons set up a couple of huge events that can't happen on the show, because those characters are already dead or just plain don't exist.  Dany's show story seemingly can't be the same as the books, because a lot of the things that happen around her in the book have been cut.  Other characters just aren't anywhere close to where they are in the books, which seemingly means that those plots aren't going to be the same either.  I think Stannis', Jon, and Arya's stories are the closest to the books so far, but even those have some pretty big departures.  In the books Cersei doesn't just send away all of the small council, she replaces them with other characters.  None of those characters are in the book, and odds are they won't be.  Another thing that seems to be forgotten in the show is that, there is still a war going on.  The Riverlands are still in open revolt, The Brotherhood Without Banners are still around, and Stannis still holds Storm's End and Dragonstone in the south as well as having an army in the North.  Sansa is still in the Vale when the books leave off, and the whole Winterfell plot is full of characters that don't exist on the show or are dead.  The Ironborn are a much bigger faction in the books, and they are doing all types of crazy shit. There are two very important Dornish characters that have not been cast, and odds are they won't be.  There are a lot more Northeners who are doing some interesting things that I hope somehow get included, but none of those characters exist.  All of these things are important in the books, but most if not all of them will be cut from the show.

Agreed on all points. Jon and Stannis are the only characters that have something compelling going on and are being still being written extremely well. Arya is one of many characters that are in the "stranded in an unfamiliar situation and need to rediscover their purpose/who they are" trope that's bogging this season down so badly.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if this show, even when it had faults, wasn't so damn intelligent and rewarding for the previous 4 seasons. I keep holding out hope that an episode will just click soon but more often than not when a complex and layered show starts to go astray like this it's hard for it to get back on track.