DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In the "Honestly I thought this would have been done sooner" category - the WWE has reportedly released Tough Enough finalist ZZ

To the surprise of no one. Was there any signs of improvement? I just kept hearing stories about him screwing up.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Lots and lots of sex with ghosts, werewolves and frankensteins

Who knew that all our air bill payments were keeping him in money for his vampire hookers ....

10 minutes ago, DTTW said:

To the surprise of no one. Was there any signs of improvement? I just kept hearing stories about him screwing up.

Well, on the last Breaking Ground special they noted that he lost a lot of weight, so that's something...

At least he will always have that win over Biff Busick on his record.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

World Champ, 2 US Titles, 5 IC Titles, 6 Tag Titles, 1 MitB, #1 in the '11 PWI 500.  

An absolutely solid heel, who is very competent in the ring.  Is easily Top 5 for promos in wrestling today.  Can draw nuclear heat by wearing a god damn infinity scarf and hood.  

I'm not going to have you list 101 people ahead of him, but don't be daft. The Miz absolutely one of the best guys in wrestling today and is absolutely deserving of that spot.  If anything, he deserves to be higher.

Yeah, but this is the top 101 of all time.  I mean Miz is good, but of all time.  I think that's a stretch.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Really fun article on the Stone Cold Stunner here

Holy shit, listen to that pop around 1:40ish.  Vince would give his left nut for anyone to be that over today.

I will never understand why nobody stole his truck.  Stone Cold left the motor running and the door wide open.  If I were in the parking lot I would have jacked the truck.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, (BP) said:

He didn't even get a single vote. 

Well I mean I'm definitely going to take SI's word on it, who probably hasn't seen 10 matches this year, instead of the tens thousands the PWO poll was made with...

I saw the Miz at 101 and immediately bailed.

And just to note, there's really no good way to do these lists. There's little footage pre-70's and none outside of the US.  If you kayfabe it, it's a waste of time and if you base it off of work, it depends on what you've seen and who you like. I won't name certain people, but I've seen how ugly some people's MOTY lists are with flippy stuff. And being a good wrestler and getting time to have good televised matches have never been synonymous things.

53 minutes ago, (BP) said:

He didn't even get a single vote. 

That's a bit surprising that no one at all voted for him. I think you could make a case for him as a fringe top-100 guy. Here goes:

• Good member of a very good tag team (Miz/Morrison)
  • Had a top run that wasn't successful, but mostly because of the booking. Had a great match with a 60+ Jerry Lawler during that run (though Lawler is a legit top four or five guy ever, but still). 
  • One of the only guys to be genuinely over as a heel in an age where that's hard to do.
  • Not a guy with a ton of great matches, but a guy with a ton of really good ones because of the abundance of TV time he's been able to log during his career. Not to compare him too directly to Arn Anderson, but in the sense that they are both guys without a huge number of all-time-great matches, but that have tons of really good ones committed to tape because of their exposure on weekly TVs, I think there's an argument for comparison...and I think Arn Anderson is probably a top-fifty wrestler all-time.

If you value consistency and adaptability, Miz is good in tags and singles, has a large amount of good televised matches to point to as evidence, has been consistently good for like eight years, and draws genuine heel heat while being booked as an actul heel in an era where doing so is really tough, I can see him making your list in the last ten just as one of those picks where you might place someone who you think will not get mentioned that you think should be mentioned. 

• Like 5

Okay - let me bring some context

Miz received no votes because no one nominated him and only people who were nominated were eligible to be voted for.

And there were several names that I am still shocked didn't get nominated (especially when you see some of the names that were).

But it is what it is

The Miz's two real accomplishments.

1. Marrying Maryse

2. Looking good enough in a tag team with John Morrison to fool people in to thinking he had potential to be a credible World Champ which he never was. 

Even with his wife now he still has channel changing heat and can be shit in the ring even when he has the best people their to carry him. 

• Like 2

Miz is going to have a longer career in wrestling than a lot of wrestlers I like. He's survived the minefield of the WWE and he keeps using the platform to improve his standing in and out of the company. Dudes a smart guy but until he has a real breakout moment, he's not top 100 wrestler material.

• Like 1

Arn Anderson is one of the best promos of all time, was in the best stable of all time, one half of one of the greatest tag teams of all time with Tully, and maybe the greatest tag wrestler of all time. The fucking Miz(and I enjoy his work) doesn't compare to AA.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

If I knew what that joke would be, I'd give you a hand. 

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kafkonia said:

"The New World Order is in disarray" and "The Powers To Be" were the two that stood out to me.

"Catch as catch can" was one for me...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Did anyone put Miz over Arn?

I sure didn't. I explicitly said that I wasn't comparing them directly. My point was that you could definitely see Miz as you see Arn depending on what things about wrestling that you value - a dude who didn't have a lot of all-time great singles matches, but that was an effective member of a very good (or great) tag team and that had a lot of really consistently solid outings on TV for an extended period of time. 

I knew when I made that post that someone would read it and totally miss the point that I was making. 

• Like 1

I dunno, when I hear the name "Arn Anderson" I automatically think of good to great matches week in week out. That's not necessarily the same thing I think of when I hear "The Miz". In his defense, he's gotten a lot better over the years and if paired with the right talent can be led to a very good or occasionally great match. Is he a top 101 guy of all-time? Not hardly, but on a list that ranks Abdullah the Butcher and Michael Hayes over Johnny Valentine, thinks that Kenta Kobashi and Hiro Itami are the same person and has apparently never heard of Gorgeous George, Jim Londos, Joe Stecher, Akira Hokuto, Dump Matsumoto, etc., etc. etc. such a rating is hardly surprising. 

Yes, lists are generally a waste of time unless the context is cited beforehand, but the SI list makes the PWI lists of years' past seem like top-flight sports journalism. Truly an embarrassment.