DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

11 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Brazillian swimmer is in the warm up room tugging at Superman's cape.

Phelps is noselling the posturing.

Le Clos is South African and yeah, don't spit into the wind, kid.   Phelps is going to make it a point to drown that dude in his wake tonight.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

That is such a great, great story.  Seeing the highlights I was so happy for the guy.

What unexpectedly got to me is the Rafaela Silva's judo win yesterday.  Considering the MANY problems Brazil has had, and the infamous stories about the favelas, this was such a great moment for them.  It might not bring peace to the country or anything, but this was such a highly emotional moment that you can't help but feel great for her.  http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/08/489236342/brazils-first-gold-medal-in-rio-games-goes-to-hometown-judo-champion

And holy crap, seeing Phelps go all Miz girl on Le Clos, tonight is going to be fucking epic.  He didn't want to look at him whether they were warming up or even before/after the race.  The tension was super thick and made for excellent TV.  I can't wait for this race.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Le Clos is South African and yeah, don't spit into the wind, kid.   Phelps is going to make it a point to drown that dude in his wake tonight.

yeah, I realized that afterwards, just saw the green warm up and assumed Brazil.  Realized the mistake once I was the flag when they were going to the blocks.

I really don't get Le Clos here. He reportedly grew up idolizing Phelps, he beat him in this event in 2012, and he's been running his mouth for a long time leading up to this.

What the fuck is his upside to pissing off the GOAT? The Olympic and World record holder in the event? When you have already beaten him, in the Olympics? What's his "win" scenario here?

• Like 1

I don't what's up with him.  But if I had time to create these guys in WWE 2K16 I'd do so and have some wild brawls going on.  This is a heated feud pro wrestling would love to have.  /wrestling bubble

That is close as you are going to get in the Olympics to athletes talking shit to each other.  This is not a new phenomenon.  At least they were both professional enough not to go totally batshit on live television..

I personally would have gone complete Jalen Rose levels of retard and been like, "I hope you don't freeze to death standing in my shadow when they put that gold around my neck," or "You mom better have all of my medals nice and shiny by the time I get back to the villa."

I am proud of Phelps.  Not once did he slip up and let the words, "mother fucker" come out of his mouth and you KNEW he wanted to say them.  That's how you can tell that the weed is not in his system right now.

Not only did he reaffirm his greatness, not only did he get revenge, not only did he utterly destroy his alleged "rival" and win his twenty-fourth Olympic and twentieth Gold medal...

He also became the oldest swimming gold medalist in an individual event of all-time.

He's legitimately staked a claim to greatest Olympian ever. And he's not fucking done yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not only did he reaffirm his greatness, not only did he get revenge, not only did he utterly destroy his alleged "rival" and win his twenty-fourth Olympic and twentieth Gold medal...

He also became the oldest swimming gold medalist in an individual event of all-time.

He's legitimately staked a claim to greatest Olympian ever. And he's not fucking done yet.

And he grew up in Towson f'n Maryland, 20 minutes from me.  Considering there's Phelps and AFAIK four other Marylanders (Ledecky is from Bethesda) killing it in the Olympics, I'm feeling a TON of Maryland pride right now.  Take that out of the equation and it's still an outstanding night for Team USA.