DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Phelps is still amazing. The way he blows away the field in the last 15 meters is poetry.

We're 2 days in and I'm comfortable saying already this will be a better Olympics for Canada than London 2012, which, let's be honest, was kind of a giant fucking bummer for the most part.

Nobody watch the UK gymnast girl give herself a stinger on the floor exercise. 

But do watch her Daniel Bryan the medical staff and be like "Fuck you the match isn't over!"

And right on cue the nonsensical and banal Al Trautwig trying to underline it with produndity: "From what could have been...to what was...to what is now...the story of Ellie Downing."

DUE THATS THE LITERAL STORY OF EVERYTHING TO THE EXTENT THAT IT PAST CONDITIONAL PAST AND PRESENT TENSE!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

That was a "I'm in the fucking Olympics, and you aren't fucking taking this from me" moment.

I WILL DO GYMNASTICS WITH A BROKEN NECK IN A PARKING LOT IN FRONT OF 15 PEOPLE BUT I WILL NOT WORK INA FUCKING GARAGE!!!

- The Daniel Bryan of Olympic Gymnastics

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

9.9 point lead in team gymnastics. Last Olympics the Americans won in a "blowout"... they won by 5 points. 

Yeah, they *should* absolutely destroy the field.

Poor Gabby Douglas though. Third overall, doesn't qualify for all-around because of rules.

Also if you are 41 years old and you finish in the top 100 you get all the applesauce and a mismatched-buddy-cop show with Bartolo Colon. 

We'll call it "Gristle & Fats" and there will be, by necessity, very little dialog...but an HBO-amount of nudity.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Also if you are 41 years old and you finish in the top 100 you get all the applesauce and a mismatched-buddy-cop show with Bartolo Colon. 

We'll call it "Gristle & Fats" and there will be, by necessity, very little dialog...but an HBO-amount of nudity.

And she hasn't ruled out Tokyo!

There are a limited number of people in the world who are paid to check for unauthorized enhancements.

Most of them have already flagged the Russian amateurs, they're now busy with the UFC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

We're 2 days in and I'm comfortable saying already this will be a better Olympics for Canada than London 2012, which, let's be honest, was kind of a giant fucking bummer for the most part.

We sorta suck at the summer sports, outside of rowing. I do like the fact that swimmers from Canada are winning medals again.

I was only slightly disappointed that the audience at the aquatic arena didn't break out with a "you still got it!" chant for Phelps.  What a performance. Is anything more exciting then swimming relays?  Don't answer that, the answer is NO.

Yeah our women's gymnastics team looking like the Chicago Bulls.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was only slightly disappointed that the audience at the aquatic arena didn't break out with a "you still got it!" chant for Phelps. 

Remember you can't have the good without the bad.  So this would logically end with a crowd chanting "You fucked up" at a crying injured teenager next to a balance beam. 

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

We sorta suck at the summer sports, outside of rowing. I do like the fact that swimmers from Canada are winning medals again.

2012 was especially lacking in days with feel good stories, we've really had 2 excellent days (for us) to open this time.

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Is Olympic tennis wildly different from everyday tennis? Or is it just for medals?

Well men's is only 3 sets in the Olympics so that is different 

16 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Is he also a big proponent for Cybernetic Implants?

I thought that was genetic engineering to create the world's first mermaid? Phelps is obviously half shark / half torpedo.

UK Gymnast Girl channeled her inner Sabu.  The soul cleansing power of hate magically healed her broken neck and her blown knees and torn ACLs..  I half expected her to do a victory moonsault onto the vault horse and break it in half..

Awww.  Little Flavia Saraiva is one of my favorite Olympic peeps right now.  She looks like she is no older than my own kid.  I keep wanting to text her coach and scold him for letting Flavia stay up so late.  Middle school kids need to stay on a steady sleep schedule.