DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I remember being shocked when during the Seoul games, NBC had a commercial announcing they were the home of the "''92, 94, '96, '98, and 2000 Olympic Games".  I just remember thinking wow, that's like insanely far away. 

And as I mentioned on Facebook,  Scott Hamilton sounds like the wife on Bob's Burgers.

This muggle stuff is so boring.  It's like watching a bunch of hurdlers do the "run through some tires" part of an obstacle course over and over.

Go back to all the mean looking skaters!  At least they all look like they are about murder someone.

Only have 6 more years of dealing with NBC Olympics, hopefully.  Course, they'll probably overbid again.

I'd love to see CBS take a crack at it.

We all know the WWL's coverage would be a  self-important clusterfuck that would result in the dark lord Chulthu entering this world. . . 

No matter who has them, the Olympics are destined to be something of a mess.  You need a master/mistress of ceremonies to guide things with a steady hand, and to start a path that the analysts can easily follow.  RIP to Jim McKay, there's no one today that knows how to bridge niche sports with pop culture, then serve it to the masses.  Bob Costas should be able to do it, but he can't.  He's too smug.

• Like 1

No matter who has them, the Olympics are destined to be something of a mess.  You need a master/mistress of ceremonies to guide things with a steady hand, and to start a path that the analysts can easily follow.  RIP to Jim McKay, there's no one today that knows how to bridge niche sports with pop culture, then serve it to the masses.  Bob Costas should be able to do it, but he can't.  He's too smug.

I would wonder if AL Michaels could pull it off, but he's more of a play by play guy. Jim Nance is too smug as well.  God forbid FOX ever gets them, as Joe Buck would host. . . .

I know how much everyone hates ESPN, but I think they'd be a blessing in disguise for the Olympics. Their online streaming structure is light years ahead of Live Extra (and Fox Sports Go, obviously) and they have enough cable channels to show everything relevant live. The only sticking point would be contracts with other properties - like I don't think the NBA would be too pleased with getting reduced to second fiddle in like 2022 or whatever.

My guess on the skating commentary teams is that they are grooming the younger group to take over but NBC wasn't confident putting commentators in prime time yet; but they want to give them experience calling the events to prepare them.

Ok, someone help me figure this out. I want to watch the biathlon from earlier this morning. I go to nbcolympics.com. I can see results. I can see a hockey game from 2010. I can see what's currently being aired on the TV channel streaming. I want to watch the biathlon from earlier this morning. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?