DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K17

7 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

If you don't like the reversal limits, you can go back to playing it the old way where it was reverse reverse reverse reverse reverse for the whole match when you play on the highest difficulties, and you'll appreciate it (you can turn that off in the options, or it's still like that on the last gen versions).  I only play on Legend right out of the box though - no idea what the demo was set at.  If the computer isn't as aggressive as it should be the limited reversal thing would be weird.

I like to play at about a normal level of difficulty.  It just seems weird and unrealistic to me to have a set number of reversals.  Also pulling off a grapple or submission hold on the ground seems to be a little cumbersome.  In Smackdown vs. Raw, I remember it pretty easy to do a move on the ground on the opponent's legs, on their head area, or their arms.  It just seems the control system has been over-complicated here.  

It's one of those things where they just keep adding shit to existing shit so much that if you don't play every year, you're completely lost, but if you do, you don't really notice it becuse it's kind of gradual.   Like if you check out the 2k16 thread here when it was free on XBone, you'll see this big time.  

Like legit to grab people and drag them around when they're standing you have to hit both triggers at the same time and the direction you want to carry them.  That's not intuitive at all, right?  I'm so used to doing it though I don't give it a second thought until I have to explain it to someone, and then think well, yeah, it's bullshit, but it's bullshit I'm used to now.

The crazy thing is this is actually simplified from when they had two different reversal buttons.  This is the LESS complicated version.

Ground stuff is weird.  It used to be just like the grapples would take care of everything, but now strikes initiate sequences like grapples used to.  Like the Eddy double face stomp is a strike, not a grapple, but punching someone in the dick is a grapple, not a strike.

I'm a Firepro guy since like the Sega Saturn so I'm all about simplicity,  but with indie wrestling games being absolute garbage and nobody wanting to make Japanese games right now, we're kind of fucked

• Like 1

I could be misremembering, but I feel like one of the last THQ WWE games, maybe WWE '13 felt like it had a good medium of having decent controls of the Smackdown vs. Raw series mixed with better physics engines. 

But I definitely get the feeling of they are constantly adding more things to the controls to make what should be really simple controls more complicated.  

3 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Asuka can counter a kick into an ankle lock German suplex ❤

Nakamura counters a kick into his behind the back tucking powerbomb dealy. I loved the footage of Nakamura, as they tried to bottle some of his charisma in the game. After he hits the inverted powerslam/exploder, he does his little finger taunt while still on the ground. 

Spoiler

Brock Lesnar - 95
Steve Austin - 95
John Cena - 93
Seth Rollins - 93
The Undertaker - 93
The Undertaker '00 - 93
Triple H '01 - 93
Chris Jericho '01 - 92
Goldberg - 92
The Rock - 92
Randy Savage - 91
Ric Flair - 91
The Rock '01 - 91
The Undertaker '91 - 91
Bret Hart - 90
Dean Ambrose - 90
Edge - 90
Mankind - 90
Sting '99 - 90
AJ Styles - 89
Daniel Bryan - 89
Kane '98 - 89
Kevin Nash - 89
Ricky Steamboat - 89
Roman Reigns - 89
Scott Hall - 89
Shawn Michaels - 89
Triple H - 89
Ultimate Warrior - 89
Big Show '00 - 88
Cesaro - 88
Diamond Dallas Page - 88
Diesel - 88
Finn Bálor - 88
Lex Luger - 88
Randy Orton - 88
Razor Ramon - 88
Alundra Blayze - 87
Booker T - 87
Bray Wyatt - 87
Cactus Jack - 87
Chris Jericho - 87
Dusty Rhodes - 87
JBL - 87
Lita - 87
Sami Zayn - 87
Samoa Joe - 87
Sting - 87
Sting '91 - 87
Ted DiBiase - 87
Trish Stratus - 87
Vader - 87
Arn Anderson - 86
Bayley - 86
Charlotte - 86
Kevin Owens - 86
Kofi Kingston - 86
Larry Zbyszko - 86
Rusev - 86
Sasha Banks - 86
Shinsuke Nakamura - 86
Tatsumi Fujinami - 86
Asuka - 85
Bam Bam Bigelow - 85
Big E - 85
Christian - 85
Dolph Ziggler - 85
Dude Love - 85
The Miz - 85
Big Cass - 84
Jake Roberts '91 - 84
Jey Uso - 84
Jim Neidhart - 84
Jimmy Uso - 84
Mr. Perfect - 84
Nikki Bella - 84
Alberto Del Rio - 83
Becky Lynch - 83
Big Show - 83
British Bulldog - 83
Natalya - 83
Rick Rude - 83
Rikishi - 83
Sheamus - 83
Stunning Steve Austin - 83
Xavier Woods - 83
Billy Gunn - 82
Road Dogg - 82
Big Boss Man - 81
Earthquake - 81
Nia Jax - 81
Typhoon - 81
Andre The Giant - 80
Baron Corbin - 80
Brian Pillman - 80
Jason Jordan - 80
Paige - 80
Chad Gable - 79
Kalisto - 79
Kane - 79
Luke Harper - 79
Apollo Crews - 78
Braun Strowman - 78
Bubba Ray Dudley - 78
Hideo Itami - 78
Mark Henry - 78
Neville - 78
Scott Dawson - 77
Shane McMahon - 77
D-Von Dudley - 76
Hunter Hearst Helmsley - 76
Lana - 76
Mr. McMahon '01 - 76
Tyson Kidd - 76
Dash Wilder - 75
Titus O'Neil - 75
Dana Brooke - 74
Enzo Amore - 74
Erick Rowan - 74
Stardust - 74
Alexa Bliss - 73
Brie Bella - 73
Diego - 73
Naomi - 73
Stephanie McMahon - 73
Tamina - 73
Zack Ryder - 73
Alicia Fox - 72
Darren Young - 72
Emma - 72
Fernando - 72
Heath Slater - 72
Sin Cara - 72
Butch - 71
Jack Swagger - 71
Luke - 71
R-Truth - 71
Aiden English - 70
Carmella - 70
Goldust - 70
Summer Rae - 70
Tyler Breeze - 70
Fandango - 69
Konnor - 69
Murphy - 69
Simon Gotch - 69
Blake - 68
Curtis Axel - 68
Viktor - 68
Bo Dallas - 67
Eva Marie - 67

BTW, the thing I loved most about No Mercy/VPW was the reversal system for strikes and grapples. My friends and I used a different control scheme since the default wasn't all the great, so I think reversing grapples was assigned to the right shoulder button and blocking/reversal strikes was assigned to, I think, the down C button. In any event, it was perfect. It was never 100% guaranteed that you would actually reverse a grapple or strike. If your timing was perfect on blocking strikes, where you puff out your chest at the right time, more often than not, you'd block or reverse it. If you were really hurt, doing that one reversal would swing momentum in your direction. Even still, your opponent could go for a heavy strike and you'd be fucked. Same with grapples.

Before the new reversal system, you could just spam reversals all fucking day and it never felt as natural as No Mercy/VPW. On the other hand, implementing a limit on reversals makes it closer to No Mercy/VPW. It does mitigate the problem of spamming reversals and it adds more strategy for when to use them to try to swing momentum in your favor. Until AKI lets others use their system, we're stuck with what we have, but the reversal limit is the closest we've been in a long time to having something as good. 

Hahahahaha, I didn't even think of that.

The ratings are always crap. I can't remember, but is there a way to edit those? Through save files, you could do that on the 360, but could you on the new ones? Like, why is AJ Styles an 89? Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter that much, but some of that stuff is weird, unless it's Yukes ribbing AJ for criticizing the nu-Yukes wrestling games.

Also, some of it is weird because some people have really high stats in one aspect they excel at, but not in others.  Also, being able to jump off the top rope and run fast and shit effects your OVR, which is why Andre is only 80, but will fuck your shit up (Not that I think they put much thought into Andre ever - LOOK AT HIM he's still fun to play as though)

• Like 1

Which is fine but I still don't get why it can't be more on these current generation systems. I'll probably have a save for modern day and one for classic eras. If there are good enough CAWs, hopefully one for Mexico and Japan.