DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

You can now add this to Black Widow's debut and the post-credits Mjolnir as the only good things from Iron Man 2.

Also the recasting of Rhodey and debut of War Machine. And as close as we'll get to Demon in a Bottle.

Truthfully there's a lot to like in IM2 but it doesn't really come together and the movie is too long for that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Also the recasting of Rhodey and debut of War Machine. And as close as we'll get to Demon in a Bottle.

Truthfully there's a lot to like in IM2 but it doesn't really come together and the movie is too long for that.

I forgot about the recasting of Rhodey, that was an upgrade.

Saw Spiderman last night.

Pros:
* - Keaton was probably the best Marvel villain yet, at least top 3 allowing for hyperbole. He's almost too good, makes too many good points for you to not sit there and think "Hey, yeah, fuck Tony Stark".
* - Liked the move away from Mary Jane/Jonah Jameson/Daily Bugle etc
* - Great soundtrack. Marvel always get these right. 
* - Generally a nice, needed change of pace for their films too. 

Cons:
* - Unsold on Tom Holland. Right vibe for what he needed to be, far better than Andrew Garfield, but if you want a Michael Cera impersonation, why not just get Michael Cera.
* - Spiderman gets booked like Bret Hart in early 96. Gets made to look weak at every opportunity, escapes by luck, hubris or help at every opportunity, and so the ending doesn't quite sit well with me.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but a 15 or 16 year old Spiderman should only be winning fights by luck or with help, and shouldn't be made to appear on the same level as an Iron Man or Captain America or something. He's just starting out and doesn't know how to do much of anything - plus he's still a kid.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

* - Unsold on Tom Holland. Right vibe for what he needed to be, far better than Andrew Garfield, but if you want a Michael Cera impersonation, why not just get Michael Cera.

I plan on seeing this, but this line jumped out at me.  If you saw Michael Cera recently he is definitely not the guy who should play teenage Peter Parker.  I feel they got the right guy to play teenage pipsqueak Peter Parker who's starting to figure out this whole Spiderman thing.

Based on the reviews I'm pretty excited to see this.  I admittedly checked out after Spiderman 3, but after seeing him in Civil War it's good to see him back mixing it up with folks like Iron Man.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Casey said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but a 15 or 16 year old Spiderman should only be winning fights by luck or with help, and shouldn't be made to appear on the same level as an Iron Man or Captain America or something. He's just starting out and doesn't know how to do much of anything - plus he's still a kid.

In an isolated context, I agree. Especially this early on. It just means the ending makes little sense as a result.

Saw Homecoming this afternoon. Stayed for the Mid-credits scene, but then left, so I don't know if there was another. I was shocked when 

Spoiler

Gwyneth Paltrow

suddenly showed up, never expected to see them. Nice to see that they're building Spidey's Rogue's Gallery already as well.

On Saturday, July 08, 2017 at 2:59 PM, AxB said:

Saw Homecoming this afternoon. Stayed for the Mid-credits scene, but then left, so I don't know if there was another. I was shocked when 

Hide contents

Gwyneth Paltrow

suddenly showed up, never expected to see them. Nice to see that they're building Spidey's Rogue's Gallery already as well.

There is

Captain America pops up, like in the in-movie PSAs, congratulates the viewer on their patience, talks about how patience doesn't always pay off, then asks someone off-camera "How many more of these do we have left?"  And that's it.  It's quite funny watching people sit around for that length of time react to it.  Everyone pretty much enjoyed it.

• Like 1

It's really not worth sitting around for the end credits scenes at this point.  Anything actually relevant or interesting gets dropped after the animated credit sequence.  Once it hits the old fashioned black screen credit roll, hit the door.

The end credit scene was pretty funny though this time just because it was self referential and acknowledges that the those very complaints that it's not worth sitting around for.

Thought Homecoming was all around very good-great, only complaint we had was that there was a lack of chemistry between Peter and Liz. Other than that I really enjoyed it. Keaton was great a Vulture, really like the set up for 

Spoiler

Scorpion as the next big bad (probably) there is always the chance he ends up like Shocker I guess and works under a bigger bad

Holland was quite good at capturing the spirit of young Spider-Man, very enthusiastic but a bit naive. This belongs in the top tier of superhero movies for sure.

• Like 1

I thought Homecoming was really good, but Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite web slinger movie and arguably my second or third favorite superhero movie in general.

Pros:

• The intro was tremendous.  A kid making a video journal of his superhero exploits is exactly what you'd expect present day Peter Parker to do.
  • As was Peter using a YouTube tutorial to teach himself how to tie a Windsor Knot.
  • Keaton is arguably the best Marvel Phase III villain to date.  He had a really good dynamic going with Holland, especially during the awkwardness of the big reveal..  Bokeem Woodbine also silently held things down on his end.   I thought It was awesome that someone at Marvel Studios remembered that some super bad guys are in it simply for the cash and aren't really interested in world domination.
  • Holland did okay with what he had to work with.  I think they booked Peter a bit too immature and short sighted for my liking, but he's fifteen years old and he's working the kinks out of managing a double life as high schooler and superhero.  We'll let it slide for now.
  • I like the idea of the spike in supervillany coming from the saie of Chitauri salvage.  Callbacks keep the MCU cohesive.
  • I marked for the introduction of Damage Control and when Mac Gargan showed up.
  • Amazing soundtrack.  People were singing along to The English Beat song in my theater.
  • The Captain America PSAs were tremendous and the fact that they were contextually out of date at the time of their use in Pete's school was fucking awesome.  I was that kid in a 1980's classroom watching Public Safety PSA's from the 1960's in my Defensive Driving class..
  • I also marked for the sneaky tribute to the classic half-mask shot.
  • tumblr_lc8y0dvVI61qzvhk6o1_1280.jpg

Cons:

• I understand the ideology of introducing the super suit, but I still felt that the gadgets were overkill.  I still thought it was appropriate for the "costumes don't make the superhero" lesson to come from Iron Man.
  • Not enough Zendaya.
  • Not enough Aunt May.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Zeidler said:

I disagree about the soundtrack. Imagine something like Batman '89 being scored using only songs from the 50s.  That's the equivalent of Homecoming's 80s soundtrack.

The whole point of the 80's soundtrack of incidental music was that the titular Homecoming Dance at Pete's school had an 80's theme.

The complaint I have is that there probably weren't enough 80's tracks licensed for the movie.  Someone should've watched Grosse Point Blank for a few ideas.

Other things I thought were pretty cool:

• Liz and Ned not really having emphasized surnames as to attach yet detach them from their obvious basic characters; Liz Allen and Ned Leeds.  I assume that Liz's last name is
Spoiler

Toomes since the Vulture is her father.

• While we're on Liz,
Spoiler

Liz being the child of an interracial marriage was also pretty awesome.  My girlfriend gave The Vulture major awesome points for being the homicidal father of a bi-racial daughter.  The supervillain to superhero version of The Dad Talk was fucking awesome.

• Aunt May - "WHAT THE F~!!!" *end credits with Blitzkrieg Bop*  = NICE~!!

The more I think about it, the more that Peter's portrayal bothers me.  Spider Man had his shit together in Civil War and now here we are and Peter seems to have regressed into ineptitude. 

You'd think he'd have a little more seasoning than he had in Homecoming as nearly every one of his superhero outings against legit Beta level threats ends up in near disaster.

I think the difference between Spidey in Civil War and Homecoming can be attributed to a combination of Stark having a clear plan for what he wanted Peter to do in Berlin, it being a strictly superhero fight with no civilians/worrys about collateral damage and Cap recognizing that Peter was a kid and taking it easy on him, that said he was quite adept at handling Flacon and Winter Soldier for a bit but that was catching them by surprise as they didn't know anything about him, 

Spoiler

He handled the ATM robbers fairly well too until they busted out alien tech on him and he had to save his sandwich man so he was shown to be able to handle himself under the right circumstances. 

• Like 2

Well, yeah, I get that

Spoiler

the ATM Robbery and the Ferry Incident were object lessons in the idea that a superhero's job isn't all bashing criminals and that they have to be mindful off collateral damage and serving the public trust.

I just wish that the circumstances didn't make Pete look like a complete buffoon most of the time because it made some of the action predictable.

Spoiler

My girlfriend and I both said "Watch Ned call Pete's cell phone ring while he's surveilling the illicit alien tech arms deal, and sure enough...

I liked the Liz swerve, since like jt said, i thought she was liz allen. 

Keaton was great. It went by too quick, but did they do a vulture silhouette against the moon or did i imagine it?

being out of touch with pop culture in 2017 helped me not know most of the young actors as being X from Y. 

Best thing overall for me was the new marvel title card using the 60s spidey theme. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I just wish that the circumstances didn't make Pete look like a complete buffoon most of the time because it made some of the action predictable.

I agree that there were some predictable things that they coulda cut out (the instance in you included in spoilers for sure, too obvious and cliche) that didn't need to be there to highlight that he was young and inexperienced

Spoiler

The failed interrogation scene did a good job of showing his immaturity and  some self doubt while serving as good comedy and a learning moment, Ned calling at the wrong time seemed too sitcom-y and didn't help forward the Peter is trying to impress Tony so he can be an Avenger aspect in any way it just showed that Peter didn't turn his phone to silent and Ned is too thick to figure out Peter in Spider-man costume not showing up meant Spider-man had something to do.

It was implied enough that after Berlin Peter was doing small time "heroics" that involved stopping minor crimes so he wasn't always out there fighting people all the time and even in Civil War his webs were the thing that helped him the most in the fight we wasn't really tangling with anyone toe-to-toe except Cap who handled him pretty easily and with kid gloves.

But he really shouldn't have been made to look like he was lost or overwhelmed by moments in Homecoming because he was in a fight with Avengers he'd been in a high stakes fight with people who could have killed him like he was with the arms dealers. Cocky and over-sure like on the ferry that makes sense but after fighting against Cap, Bucky, Falcon, AntMan/Goliath, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch a couple of goons with high tech weapons that he's seen before shouldn't have thrown him off that much.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

The whole point of the 80's soundtrack of incidental music was that the titular Homecoming Dance at Pete's school had an 80's theme.

The complaint I have is that there probably weren't enough 80's tracks licensed for the movie.  Someone should've watched Grosse Point Blank for a few ideas.

The soundtrack also ties into the director believing it was as much an 80s-style coming-of-age film as a superhero film.
per IMDB

The cast had to watch a John Hughes movie marathon to prepare. Spider-Man: Homecoming is first and foremost a coming-of-age tale, so Watts turned to the master of such stories: John Hughes. "He gave us a lot of movies to watch," Holland said during an interview with PopSugar UK. "God there's so many movies, and we basically just all sat down in my house in Atlanta, all the cast, and we just watched them all in one day and just had like a Dominos day. It was amazing . . . Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty in Pink, there were loads of them."

• Like 2