DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

The film basically lost me when they did that scene where Spidey fights Ock on the building side while Aunt May dangles by her umbrella. Firstly, you have a guy whose whole thing in comics is being able to out-speed Spidey by having four lightning quick tentacles using those...to climb. While trading normal ass punches with a dude who as we see later is strong enough to stop a train. Ock should have been KO'ed right there but whatever.

Stan Lee has been asked about this dozens of times because it happens dozens of times.   The Spider-Man 2 train brawl does not constitute a plot hole, IMO.

Spider-Man constantly has to judge just how much mojo to use in a physical altercation because he may accidentally murder the bad guy he's trying to bring to justice.. 

He's in an even worse conundrum when it comes to supers because the question of "how much force is too much?" becomes even more fluid.

Punch him too hard; he dies.  Don't punch him hard enough; he doesn't stay down.  This is why you see Peter relying mostly on his web shooters to subdue normal criminals.

Meanwhile, villains like Doc Ock and The Vulture have no moral qualms about fighting without restraint or endangering innocent people.

Great Power / Great Responsibility.

The fight in Spider-Man 2 is the epitome of the fights with various villains from the comics and that is why it is one of my favorite superhero brawls..  If Peter hit Doc Ock as hard as he could, he'd probably put his fist through Ock's skull. 

Death sentences are handed out by the legal system; not by super heroes.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Casey said:

Text of the Infinity War footage shown at D23 today. So, uh, obviously some massive spoilers here.
EDIT: Found a more detailed description.

Reveal hidden contents

The footage began with probably a two-minute intro of footage from the first several movies, all focusing on the Infinity Stones we’ve seen so far. Then, the Marvel Studios logo, and on to the new stuff.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are flying around. “Put on your mean faces,” Star-Lord says, because he expects something nasty. There has been crazy destruction, and then a body smashes up against their ship. “Get it away,” Rocket says. They bring the body in and it’s Thor. (Spoilers for Ragnarok, we guess?) Mantis wakes him up and Thor jumps up and exclaims “Who the hell are you guys?”

Next we see the Guardians with Thor, flying to another planet, and when they arrive—again, it’s just massive destruction again. They all know something is very wrong.

Cut to Earth. Scarlet Witch is moving around some cars or something and a female voiceover says “Death follows him like a shadow.” Loki emerges and presents the Tesseract to someone who is taller than him.

Cut to Queens and the hairs on the arm of a young Peter Parker stand up on end. He turns around in fear and we see a ship flying toward a planet we assume is Earth. “We have one advantage,” Tony Stark says. “He’s coming to us.” As the ship crashes, we see Mantis, Iron Man, Star-Lord, Doctor Strange, and a few others characters in total shock.

“Fun really isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe,” a voice says. Gamora turns around in total horror. “But this puts a smile on my face.” Star-Lord: “Oh no.” And out of a black hole emerges the purple madman, Thanos.

A fight begins. Doctor Strange is putting down platforms and Star-Lord is jumping off them, shooting his guns. Cut to Spider-Man, in his new suit revealed at the end of Homecoming, jumping through the air. A shot of Vision behind bars. A shot of a Wakandan army which includes Bucky. Captain America comes out of shadows with a full beard. Black Widow is shown with blonde hair. Iron Man has new, very sleek armor. Someone is using the Hulkbuster armor. Just a huge montage of shots.

Peter Parker is on the ground very hurt. “I’m sorry Tony,” he says behind tears with Iron Man holding his head. Thanos grabs Thor’s head and squeezes. Then Thanos, in the heat of battle with the Infinity Gauntlet on his hand, uses the power of the two stones he has (Purple and Blue, I think) to grab a moon. He starts to drag it toward whatever planet everyone is standing on. The debris starts to fly and... cut to title card.

FUCK ME.

The in-house crowd for the IW trailer collectively lost their shit when the title treatment at the end of the trailer dropped.

Poor DC.

It sounds like Thanos will be the sardonic, no bullshit, omega level threat that Ultron should've been.

As far as the Infinity Stones go:

Spoiler

TMK, here are the most current whereabouts of the Infinity Stones..

• The Space Stone (blue) aka The Tessaract - In the possession of Loki who is currently masquerading as Odin.
  • The Mind Stone (yellow) - currently embedded in the skull of The Vision.  Mails in that The Vision will be one of the casualties of the Infinity War.  How else will Thanos obtain the gem without physically yanking it out of The Vision's forehead?
  • The Reality Stone aka The Aether - entrusted to the Collector by Sif at the end of Thor: TDW.
  • The Power Stone - handed over to the Nova Corps by the GoTG.  Currently under lock and key on Xandar.
  • The Time Stone - ensconced in the Eye of Agamotto.  The amulet itself is one of the artifacts in the possession of Doctor Strange.

AFAIK, the only gem unaccounted for is the Soul Stone and most likely that will somehow end up in the forehead of Adam before too long.

Furthermore, Loki (in the guise of Odin) also has (or had) possession of the Infinity Gauntlet itself since the first time we see the glove is when we notice the glove in the Asgardian treasure vault and assumed it was an Easter Egg.

My guess is that Loki "allows" Thanos to take possession of the Infinity Gauntlet in exchange for not destroying Asgard...... which Thanos will try to do anyway via Hela acting as his proxy. 

I'd rather see Goggins as nise JJJ in future installments of the new Spidey reboot. 

A one-shot villain role is a waste of his range.

17 hours ago, EVA said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "the villain," whoever that turns out to be.

Yeah, it will probably end up that Goggins and Hannah John-Kamen will supply the opposition to Rudd and Lilly.

Most of us have guessed that HJK will end up as Leila Davis / Hardshell / The Beetle II.

If Goggins and HJK end up being cast as a married couple, it would be hilarious and totally unprofitable for MS to stick to comic book cannon and have Goggins be Leila's husband from the comics aka Anthony Davis, The Ringer.

I guess they could work in a slight breech of etiquette and bring in Davis as Strkeback instead if you wanted to avoid the WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF NAME IS RINGER FOR A BAD GUY~?? stuff.

Them as the Aborsbing Man and Titania would be funny, mostly imagining Goggins as Creel.

Using the  new female Beetle would make sense since she has been a foe/love interest for Scott Lang in the Nick Spenser ant man book. 

41 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Isn't The Beetle a Spider-Man character?

Which one?  Seven people have worn the Beetle armor since inception and not all of them fought Spider Man.

Abner Jenkins debuted as a Fantastic Four villain.

If your question is Does Disney / Marvel Still Own The Rights To The Character?  then I have no idea what license The Beetle is attached to.

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Them as the Aborsbing Man and Titania would be funny, mostly imagining Goggins as Creel.

Using the  new female Beetle would make sense since she has been a foe/love interest for Scott Lang in the Nick Spenser ant man book. 

HJK is fit, but she's too tiny to be Titania.

If she does show up as the new Beetle, I have a feeling they will go with the Janice Lincoln / Lady Beetle version rather than the Lelia Davis incarnation

Meaning that Goggins could end up playing her dad....  Tombstone..

There is no way on Earth that Disney would cast a white actor as an African-American albino.  They'd be pilloried even by sites that cater to aggrieved white male fans.

Thinking about villains usually associated with Scott other than Darren Cross, I'm coming up short. He wouldn't be a great pick for Taskmaster or Egghead or Eric O'Grady.  Maybe William "Crossfire" Cross, Darren's cousin?

Since they were tied to Crossfire, maybe they could be Bombshell and Oddball or another of the death throws.

lady beetle has gone through a lot of boyfriends already, so you could have her hooked up with Whirlwind or any masters of evil/egghead henchman. 

That really won't matter to Feige. Since he won control of Marvel Studios away from Ike, that tiny amount of lip service he paid to the TV shows mattering to the MCU died.

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

There is no way on Earth that Disney would cast a white actor as an African-American albino.  They'd be pilloried even by sites that cater to aggrieved white male fans.

You act as if Tombstone can't be retconned to be an albino white person and Janice Lincoln's character can't be adjusted so that she's biracial like the new Vulture's kid.

Of course that opens up another can of worms since Disney will have in effect white washed Tombstone by removing the African-American ancestry of an albino.

Irony.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

lady beetle has gone through a lot of boyfriends already, so you could have her hooked up with Whirlwind or any masters of evil/egghead henchman. 

You could probably bring Goggins in as a Bar With No Name B-Villain so that Ant-Man and Wasp aren't taking on an A-Lister, but it can't be Whirlwind, right?  Wasn't Whirlwind one of Sebastian Shaw's crew in First Class? 

Not only is he not within the license, he was target practice for the Sentinel project in Days of Future Past.

24 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Whirlwind's a mutant, but he's been an Ant-man/Avengers villain since day one. No ties to the X-Men that I know of.

From the comics, yeah, but I think that the tornado generating mutant from First Class was supposed to be Whirlwind in name only, so I am not sure if Disney still owns the license to Whirlwind since Fox is the possessor of all things mutant.

If Disney has HJK playing Lady Beetle and they want to keep the insect thing going, the obvious character that Goggins would play is Eric O'Grady / Black Ant.

Of course, they could also have Goggins play William Cross / Crossfire since he has the link in the comics to Darren Cross (were they brothers or cousins?) and you could work the brainwashing tech angle and have HJK play Rozalyn Backus.

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That wasn't Whirlwhind in First Class. It was Riptide.

True enough.

It does not help that Riptide from the movie doesn't exactly exhibit his powers in the same manner as Riptide from the comics nor are they situated in the same time frames for that matter.

1 hour ago, MarcosLoura said:

They finally made a good Spider-Man movie!!!!

Fight me J.T. and Fowler and your Tobey McGuire 35 year old in high school looking motherfucker, bla bla bla  but the Train Scene!™ Spider-Man 2 loving bullshit.

It's always three o' clock somewhere, homie.  Name your parking lot.

• Like 2