DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 4/13/16

RIPPA

Honestly, I have no idea who comes from Shimmer.  I had to ask about Santana Garrett a few weeks back because when I saw her I was impressed but had no idea who she was. I don't think they should sign her because of her background, I just felt that she looked really good in the ring and also has a nice look so someone I can see going far in WWE.

• Like 1

It wasn't just you; I and IIRC a couple other people asked about her background in that thread.

I don't know what boards Sorceress hangs out on, but here, no one is hanging on SHIMMER's or SHINE's nuts. That specious argument has been demonstrated to be incorrect so many times that people who make it have to be simply obstinate or trolling at this point. 

The most impressed I've been in the last year with an "Indy" female wrestler in NXT was Evie.  And she got her ass kicked.  I know she's been in Stardom and is from New Zealand but nothing else about her.  I'd like to see more of her if that means signing her full-time or whatever, fine.  And I'm perfectly happy to have Santana Garrett be full-time in NXT regardless of any time she spent in Shine.

Still can't believe Santana is the same person as Samuel Shaw's crazy girlfriend in TNA.  Anymore when I see her my brain refuses to associate her with that.  That said, she's done tremendously well since leaving TNA and I'd love for WWE to sign her.

Honestly I want Santana signed if only to keep her the hell out of Stardom. She is just so damn mediocre there due to her inability to adapt to the style. Meanwhile she looked good the two times she wrestled on NXT.

Sorceress (and to a lesser extent, Burgundy) have moved their Indies VS WWE argument into the April Omnibus thread, so I'm not surprised to see the original in this thread. It doesn't matter if it's SHIMMER women or former ROH/TNA guys (Aries, Joe), they seem to think the person that is homegrown should almost always get the push before the more experienced and qualified candidates. Which doesn't make sense. Why push the person who's spent less time inside of the ring over someone who's cut their teeth in a promotion that's centered around women's wrestling? It's like going to an interview for a nursing job, and expecting the candidate that's only worked at McDonalds to get the job over someone who's been in the healthcare industry for 5-10 years. "Oh, but they didn't help the last hospital they were at become the leader in _____, so they don't deserve that spot."

And for the record, I like Alexa Bliss (as a character) a lot more than I do any of the SHIMMER girls, but I would rather watch a match with any of the SHIMMER girls in NXT than I would an Alexa Bliss vs Bayley carryjob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Sorceress (and to a lesser extent, Burgundy) have moved their Indies VS WWE argument into the April Omnibus thread, so I'm not surprised to see the original in this thread. It doesn't matter if it's SHIMMER women or former ROH/TNA guys (Aries, Joe), they seem to think the person that is homegrown should almost always get the push before the more experienced and qualified candidates. Which doesn't make sense. Why push the person who's spent less time inside of the ring over someone who's cut their teeth in a promotion that's centered around women's wrestling? It's like going to an interview for a nursing job, and expecting the candidate that's only worked at McDonalds to get the job over someone who's been in the healthcare industry for 5-10 years. "Oh, but they didn't help the last hospital they were at become the leader in _____, so they don't deserve that spot."

And for the record, I like Alexa Bliss (as a character) a lot more than I do any of the SHIMMER girls, but I would rather watch a match with any of the SHIMMER girls in NXT than I would an Alexa Bliss vs Bayley carryjob.

Doesn't change it- on the contrary, every fan of NXT demands the exact opposite and that the person who's a former indy standout always get the push over the other candidates- and if a Performance Center graduate/non major-indy star doesn't show up and is instantly as good as people like Nakamura the NXT crowd instantly turns on them and gives them go-away heat. Period.

Yes, there's Chad Gable for recent ones- but more and more time makes it look like Chad Gable is the NXT faithful's "one homegrown friend" they can point to and say "No, we're not biased against anyone who didn't come from the super-indies, honest!"

54 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

And how do you explain all the OTHER people who were barely if at all known before coming to NXT (Jordan, Breeze, Corbin, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley, etc) who got over?

They debuted in 2012-13. Simple as that.

There's always some tipping point for critically acclaimed promotions where people were willing to give any new talent who goes there a fair shake if only because the needle was skewed to "Well, I may have never heard of them, but if this promotion thinks they're good enough to work here, that's good enough for me." For NXT, it was 2012-13 while it was on international channels/Hulu.

By now, though, the needle's skewed to the other side for the promotion's popularity- where the promotion is so critically acclaimed and has so many top stars and big names the fan response to unknown talent becomes "HOW DARE YOU OOME HERE. Don't you realize this is OUR show with OUR heroes? How dare you put this worthless performer on our show instead of [indy darling X], they aren't WORTHY of wrestling in this promotion! If they were good enough to wrestle here, why aren't they an indy darling?". Considering NXT is still ostensibly developmental, yet fans (even you) have said outright the Performance Center graduates aren't even worthy of being jobbers to get squashed by the NXT rotation members...NXT's entered that stage of its existence. (Incidentally, this stage of the existence is invariably when things fly off the rails for the promotion and its quality starts plummeting...so yeah, maybe I don't want to see that happen.) 

43 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

They debuted in 2012-13. Simple as that.

Jesus donkey-shitting Christ ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Your complaint is that people the audience already know and are familiar with get a faster start than people that they don't? And that's your basis for saying repeatedly and in-fucking-cessantly that there's some great hatred in the NXT/Full Sail/smark crowd for people who didn't come from Indy/Shimmer backgrounds? Because getting someone over organically takes time?

Ugh. I'm just going to block out the stupid going forward.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I wasn't saying that.

12 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Jesus donkey-shitting Christ ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Your complaint is that people the audience already know and are familiar with get a faster start than people that they don't? And that's your basis for saying repeatedly and in-fucking-cessantly that there's some great hatred in the NXT/Full Sail/smark crowd for people who didn't come from Indy/Shimmer backgrounds? Because getting someone over organically takes time?

Ugh. I'm just going to block out the stupid going forward.

You may disagree, but you're the one who said it outright. YOU said that the Performance Center graduates are not even good enough to be jobbers in squash matches to the holy NXT rotation indy darlings- if it's a strawman argument, then YOU PERSONALLY are the strawman you're complaining about, and you're getting mad at me for calling you out on your own bias against the homegrowns and demand it becomes an all-indy darling playground.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

You may disagree, but you're the one who said it outright. YOU said that the Performance Center graduates are not even good enough to be jobbers in squash matches to the holy NXT rotation indy darlings- if it's a strawman argument, then YOU PERSONALLY are the strawman you're complaining about, and you're getting mad at me for calling you out on your own bias against the homegrowns and demand it becomes an all-indy darling playground.

I am going to need to see the receipts on that one. Quote one post where Cristobal said that he preferred indy darlings over homegrowns.

You are either lying or bad at reading comprehension unless I miss my guess.

• Like 1

I said what? 

Jesus, I wish that post would have stayed unquoted. I feel dumber for having read it. 

What planet are you on, SK? My review of this week's show has me criticizing the decision to have the homegrown Vaudevillains put over indy superstars Gargano and Ciampa, praising homegrown Baron Corbin's squash while disdaining indy superstar Austin Aries's, and touting the match between homegrown Dillinger and "indy" superstar Nakamura for playing to the strengths of both. 

I was one of the first people (if not the very first person) to spot what exactly non-indy-superstar Elias Samson was doing with the Drifter gimmick, and like most posters here, I think indy superstar Apollo Crews has all of the tools, but no real idea how to best use them.

So yeah, like Smelly said, let's see where it is you think I said that. Cuz the only person on NXT I've ever said "get them off my TV" about was Eva Marie, and her problem isn't that she isn't a Shimmer alum, her problem is that she's a terrible wrestler. 

52 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I said what? 

Jesus, I wish that post would have stayed unquoted. I feel dumber for having read it. 

What planet are you on, SK? My review of this week's show has me criticizing the decision to have the homegrown Vaudevillains put over indy superstars Gargano and Ciampa, praising homegrown Baron Corbin's squash while disdaining indy superstar Austin Aries's, and touting the match between homegrown Dillinger and "indy" superstar Nakamura for playing to the strengths of both. 

I was one of the first people (if not the very first person) to spot what exactly non-indy-superstar Elias Samson was doing with the Drifter gimmick, and like most posters here, I think indy superstar Apollo Crews has all of the tools, but no real idea how to best use them.

So yeah, like Smelly said, let's see where it is you think I said that. Cuz the only person on NXT I've ever said "get them off my TV" about was Eva Marie, and her problem isn't that she isn't a Shimmer alum, her problem is that she's a terrible wrestler. 

You said it in the NXT Discussion thread about "move all the homegrowns to Raw/Smackdown, move all the smark darlings to NXT", so the Performance Center aren't even jobbers. You said it, it's out there. And some other people here said the same thing that they shouldn't even be jobbers, but haven't been in this discussion.

When talking about "should Performance Center people be jobbers vs. should they go in-house". Your quote:

Screw it. Have a developmental-to-Raw pipeline and leave the best wrestlers in the world at NXT. Take back the Horsewomen plus Emma and Paige, Zayn, Owens, AJ, and Neville and Cesaro when they come back.

With the same discussion, it was clear the mention was there- only indy darlings, no homegrowns- leave them to the main roster. If I overreacted, maybe I did- but it still seems like this is the point (and some people did say similar "no, they wouldn't- keep the jobbers."

Oh holy god you have no concept of context. Please note the date of the post. That has nothing to do with creating some super-indy paradise unsullied by developmental peons. That was me bitching about how shitty Wrestlemania was.

AND YOU LIKED THAT POST YOU GODDAMNED LUNATIC! *smh*

P4P7lvf.jpg