DVDVR Message Board

Celebrities and Athletes Having Wrestling Matches

I've never seen a topic on the subject in my ten or so years here so I thought I'd match one. I guess this would be where we could post our thoughts on celebrities and athletes having wrestling matches and posting matches involving celebrities and athletes.

My thoughts on it are that if the celebrity/athlete try and bring their all and show respect to the sport then it can be good. It can go south and more often then not they do but there have been great matches. Kevin Greene Lawrence Taylor, Karl Malone and Kevin Federline brought it ten fold.

The Good:

John Cena vs Kevin Federline

The Bad:

Jenna (from CBS' Survivor) vs Sharmell

Random:

The Naturals vs Monty Brown and Bryan Cox

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

Mayweather/Show is the one to beat. 

If you are talking actual match - maybe

But if you are talking importance/notoriety - nothing is trumping Andy Kaufman/Jerry Lawler

• Like 2

Yeah, I was talking from bell to bell. Comedy Central used to regularly play this great recap of the entire Kaufman/Lawler feud called I'm From Hollywood. It looks like WWE keeps pulling it off of YouTube, but here's part 1.

• Like 2

Kauffman/Lawler for overall spectical and buildup.  And while Mayweather/Show was good, LT/Bigelow was the high water mark, especially since it Mained that Mania and just showed how Criminally underrated and underused Bigelow was.

I still can't believe that WWE did not advertise that Shaq was going to be in the battle royal. Like that's usually something they would have hyped like crazy. I get that they already have the ESPN deal and maybe felt they didn't "need to" advertise him because of that but still...why in the world do you keep that a surprise? It's not something that most wrestling fans in the building were going to go crazy over (especially in Dallas where he never played) it was more like "hey that's Shaq...wtf?"

I read Shaq wants to have a match with Big Show at next year's Mania in Orlando and I'm hoping it actually happens.

I think Floyd/Show is definitely the best celebrity match. Floyd is such a natural showman and athlete that the match didn't even feel like that much of a carry.

Always gotta throw some love to Kevin Greene when this topic comes up too. There's an alternate universe where he's a high-level babyface for some company in the 90s. In this universe, the tag with Mongo against Flair and Arn was still somehow decent.

The worst ones that come to mind are the aforementioned Jenna Morasca debacle and Jay Leno, who I'm not sure why anyone thought he should step inside a wrestling ring to begin with. Also remember when TNA brought in Pacman Jones who somehow held the tag titles without ever wrestling?

37 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Always gotta throw some love to Kevin Greene when this topic comes up too. There's an alternate universe where he's a high-level babyface for some company in the 90s. In this universe, the tag with Mongo against Flair and Arn was still somehow decent.

Yeah, somehow...

• Like 2

I'm of the belief Kevin Greene could have been great if he had stuck with wrestling. He just had "it". 

I remember growing up, Minnesota Twins first baseman Kent Hrbek always talked about a career in pro wrestling whenever he was done with baseball, he even had a gimmick name ( " T-Rex "). Perhaps AWA shutting it's doors put the kibosh on that, I think he would've been great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also remember when TNA brought in Pacman Jones who somehow held the tag titles without ever wrestling?

Xavier Woods must hold some sort of distinction for having 'on screen Wrestling show interaction' with both Adam Jones's. No-one else in history will ever do that.