DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] RD1B: SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA

MM16: 1st RDB - SETH ROLLINS vs. EMMA  

131 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

It's not the heel's job to help make the babyface?

Wrestling is littered with fucking awful, SHITTY babyfaces that couldn't get over no matter what, including whatever the heel is doing.

Do we really want to go down this path?

I feel like my arguments with you begin like "I disagree with this guy, but he has some good points" and end like "this guy is intentionally being dense." We have reached that point so I'm out.

Maybe I'll come back later and we can take a stroll.

With this example, Reigns has been undercut by shitty booking, being bland as fuck, phony as fuck when he tries to overcompensate for how bland he is, etc. Creative actively refused to book to Reigns strengths, with two exceptions, which also happened to be when Reigns was most over. How is it on Rollins that this Samoan piece of driftwood was constantly handicapped with bad writing and even worse booking? HHH is an all-time heel and he isn't getting this asshole over any more than he already is. This argument that it's Rollins fault is ridiculous.

What about Ronnie Garvin? If we're saying Rollins is at fault in this example, then all-time heel Ric Flair must be at fault here as well?

There's plenty of other examples. If you want to beg off when being challenged to actually address the argument you're making, then maybe don't make the argument to begin with.

I don't even remember Rollins working Reigns in an actual program after WrestleMania.  They didn't main event against each other except in a 4 way at Payback.  So I'm not sure you can place the blame on Rollins that Reigns isn't as over as he could be.   Reigns isn't over not because his character is bland by the way, he's not over because he has no character.  At all.

1.) Garvin was actually pretty over. He wasn't used a lot on TV or at shows as champion, but he was super over in the chase, certainly. You can say he was a failure was a draw, maybe, but that becomes trickier because a lot of very over Flair opponents weren't draws.

2.) The underlying story of Reigns in this time period was that he was screwed by his former friend Rollins. That said, you're right. They weren't directly put against each other too many times on big shows. I do think it's partially valid because every victory for Rollins, every time he survived with the title intact, was another slight against Reigns. 

1) I mean I guess you could blame Flair for Garvin not being a great champion because of Flair's ego demanding winning the title back at Starrcade and no one wanting to put Ronnie over in the interim?  Hands of Stone was certainly getting reactions up to the title win and was super fun.  It's sort of Flair's pattern that no faces got significant reigns while he was around and once they got cooled off with terrible programs, he would step back in.  #politicalhit

2) I think they would have to be a lot less subtle about that with Rollins always bringing up Reigns during his eon long interviews.  I can see that as being the story they were going for the end of this season but it never materialized.  

3) Rollins still not as good as Emma this year.  Just to be clear.

His scandal was way more entertaining than hers, which I can't remember if that was in the time period but it might have been?

She was busted in July of 2014 so not even close

J&J Security had 3 matches in the time period.

And if we are counting antics outside the ring - this field would have been way different

If Rollins gets J&J, Emma gets Dana and one could argue that while J&J helped Rollins, Emma was the one who helped develop Dana into a better character.

• Like 1

I'll keep it short since I've debated enough about this in the past.

Seth Rollins year is basically "Cut promos that dragged on and on every single week, generally had underwhelming PPV matches the vast majority of the year, didn't wrestle in a way that made sense to his character at all, and, imo, has one really good (but not MOTYC) level match in the time period against Neville. He has such a low batting average, and so much shit that brought his act down, I can't see a good argument for him having a good year that doesn't involve jumping through a lot of hoops.

Emma, on the other hand? One one really good match in the time frame to be, same as Rollins, but she's batting a thousand. Her squashes are incredibly entertaining, and she is part of an act I enjoy a great deal. And that's all it takes here for me.

• Like 1