DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I first saw Sexton in a tag team with Masada as the Texas Death Club. They won the tag titles that night from a blowjob babyface tag team billed from Myrtle Beach.

Rippa has Jimmy Rave in March Madness, so apparently he had some good matches in 2015.

I remember Seth Delay being really impressive on the NWA Wildside tapes I had back in the day.  Always figured he'd go on to do more.

TNT (Todd Sexton and Tony Stradlin) were a pretty good team around that same era.  I recall liking some matches they had with the Backseat Boys, though there's no telling how those matches have aged now by early 00 indy standards.

Speaking of old Wildside guys, whatever happened to Jimmy Rave?  He was all over the place 10 years or so ago and I can't recall hearing him do much in recent times.

Rave had drug problems, got over them, and has basically been the best wrestler in the Southern Indies by a decently wide margin for the last 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

There should be a quiz panel show on the network. Have a couple wrestlers, couple legends, couple comedians and Renee as the host. Each episode has a theme. I'd watch that, but not sure if quiz panel shows are purely a British phenomenon. Only American one I know of is Whose Line...

Mainly because the E n C show is just terrible. Not even in a so bad it's funny way. It's just bad. You could say it reeks.

I miss Julius Smokes. Unironically. I'd watch TNA if he were on it.

I do too.  My favorite Smokes moment is when he's standing in the aisle, doing his weird Julius Smokes shit, and Low-Ki just casually moves him aside so he can get to the ring.

I used to like how, whenever interference was on the horizon, Smokes would get this hypervigilant look where he's scanning the place like a meth rabbit, sticking his hand under his shirt like he's about to pull out a 9. At a wrestling show.

• Like 3

Gabe still booked really well, much better than anything since. And we had the CZW insanity going on at around the time Richards showed up, but I tuned out right around the end of Austin Aries' reign and the Summer of Punk (which I admittedly have only seen parts of). I tried going back to watch my favourite stretch of ROH (mid 04 to the summer of 05) and a lot of the undercard stuff hasn't aged well at all. Way too exhibition-y instead of trying to win a wrestling match. Shelley is one of the worst offenders in that regard.

I generally view the end of the CZW feud as the end of RoH's "best promotion in the world" run I thought they had going from Reborn Stage 1 on. They didn't stop being a good promotion or anything, but it just felt like the stories they were telling from then on either kinda harmed the problem to a degree (I never bought Danielson would lose the belt to anyone till he faced Homicide), or payoffs I didn't care for (Morishimas reign ending against Nigel really soured me on them for good)

• Like 1

I generally view the end of the CZW feud as the end of RoH's "best promotion in the world" run I thought they had going from Reborn Stage 1 on. They didn't stop being a good promotion or anything, but it just felt like the stories they were telling from then on either kinda harmed the problem to a degree (I never bought Danielson would lose the belt to anyone till he faced Homicide), or payoffs I didn't care for (Morishimas reign ending against Nigel really soured me on them for good)

Did the Colt/Homicide feud happen during or after ROH vs CZW?

How I see is it was they really recaptured people's imagination with the Summer of Pawnk, then were back to generic-y promotion having really good matches up until the CZW feud, which is some of the best independent stories and matches I've ever seen, then fell back into the trapping of being pretty predictable but good nonetheless. Then Davey fucking Richards. Joe's reign was my favourite period. I wonder how those Punk/Joe matches have aged.