DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Totally random....what type of show(s) would you like to see on the network?

I mainly watch old shows. I do miss the Round Table shows from the old on demand service. 

I've wondered how a totally kayfabed "Inside The NFL" type show would go over in this day and age, where a panel discusses the matchups for PPVs, match strategies, interviews the wrestlers, etc.  I always liked the Gordon Solie-Coach John Heath discussions along those lines in the glory days of CWF.  WWE did a little of that kind of thing with Bret/Shawn and Lesnar/Cena, and it seemed to raise the level of seeming importance of the match.

(Disclosure: I don't get the network and for all I know it has just such a show. In which case, never mind.) 

Here is the pilot episode of Battle Arts Professional Wrestling, hosted by Anthony Carelli (aka Santino Marella). Match list for a pretty fun hour of wrestling:

"Mercenary" Mike Dorosti (w/ Ray Bernardo) vs. Randy Reign @01:17

6 man tag team match - The Compound (Buck Gunderson, Karou & Smiles) vs. Dustin Quicksilver, DJ & Randy Bynoe (w/Ray Bernardo) @20:21 

Battle Arts Rules (no pinfalls; victory by submission or TKO only) -

Freedom Wallace vs. Yuki Ishikawa @37:21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yc3sQh0TUk

• Like 5

Here is the pilot episode of Battle Arts Professional Wrestling, hosted by Anthony Carelli (aka Santino Marella). Match list for a pretty fun hour of wrestling:

"Mercenary" Mike Dorosti (w/ Ray Bernardo) vs. Randy Reign @01:17

6 man tag team match - The Compound (Buck Gunderson, Karou & Smiles) vs. Dustin Quicksilver, DJ & Randy Bynoe (w/Ray Bernardo) @20:21 

Battle Arts Rules (no pinfalls; victory by submission or TKO only) -

Freedom Wallace vs. Yuki Ishikawa @37:21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yc3sQh0TUk

Wait......does this mean there's a chance we could regularly see new Ishikawa matches?

Yes, Yuki is one of the head trainers at BattleArts Academy and will probably be a featured performer/special attraction for the promotion. From what I understand this is a pilot that has been picked up for the Toronto/GTA area on Rogers TV.

• Like 2

Made the hour drive to Cornelia, GA to attend the old Anarchy (and NWA-Wildside) wrestling which is now called Why We Wrestle. The only show I have attended in the building was a 2003 December Wildside show where either Caprice Coleman or Rainman went over the guardrail and wiped me out. It was awesome! While I enjoyed this show, the crowd (mainly one heckler) was beyond infuriating. He heckled both faces and heels seemingly trying to become the show instead of enjoying it. Chip Day looked to be very pissed at this guy.

WWW are in the midst of their title tournament and most every match had a 15 minute time limit.

The card (as best as I can remember)

1. Seth Delay d. Gil Quest - The one good line the heckler threw was in this match where he yelled "You're not the main story, you are just a side quest" which spawned a side quest chant.

2. Anthony Henry d. Prince ? (could not remember his name but he hailed from NYC and was not named Nana) - These two did some fun chain wrestling in the beginning. This served as a vehicle for Henry to cut a promo on David Young and that Henry's valet and Young's daughter is not daddy's little innocent girl anymore. He cut this in front of a camera so I assume it will hit YouTube at some point.

3. Geter was supposed to have faced Tank which would have been a fun battle of big men, but instead defeated a smaller guy and beat him rather soundly.

4. Se7en d. (The Golden Patriot) - Yes I forgot the guys name but the heckler called him The Golden Patriot so that is what I will go with. This match was in the top three for me and I seemed to enjoy the match a lot more than the rest of the crowd. Se7en is a huge muscular guy (listed at 6`3, 277) and the smaller Patriot worked over the arm so much the Andersons would have been proud. He even worked in a codebreaker with Se7ev's left arm chickenwinged behind him. Se7en won the match despite the arm work, but watching the Patriot try and wear down Se7en's arm to negate his power was fun to watch.

5. Todd Sexton lost in his apparent retirement match. It was never billed as such but he gave a retirement speech at the end noting that yes he has come back several times but this time his career is over for good. Looking at cagematch during the intermission I found that he was trained by Shawn Michaels and Rudy Boy Gonzales. 
I do not remember who he lost to but poor Sexton slipped off the top rope in the first two minutes crashing on the wooden floor below. He was fine to continue the match but was scary sight, especially considering he almost screwed up his retirement match.

6. Kevin Blue d. Sugar Dunkerton - Sugar D is amazing, and was far and away the most charismatic wrestler of the night. Blue stalled so much in the beginning that Sugar D did the traditional circle around the ring by himself. I wasn't as impressed with Kevin Blue and his constantly asking "WHAT'S MY NAME?" but he surprisingly put Sugar away to move on in the tournament.

7. Billy Buck d. Slim J - I wanted to work in a Special K reference for Slim J but I never got the chance. Todd Sexton came out to give the introductions and I assume this match was made for him as he mentioned wanting to see this matchup for a long time. It ended up being match of the night with these two working hard. Slim J's moonsault (that ended up costing him the match) was very impressive on a card that did not feature many flippity floppy moved that some hate with a passion. Billy Buck is the Anarchy Triple Crown champion and I can only assume he will end up in the finals of the tournament. 

One big angle slowly developing is that of Nemisis paying to come to a show as a fan and jumping the guardrail and attacking a wrestler. These two appear to be slowly building to a street fight or parking lot brawl. 

At the end of the night Danny Only who was our ring announcer all night (and apparently the commissioner) gave an Ian Rottenesque promo at the end about how much he loves professional wrestling and how if the fans keep coming out to WWW shows they will see things they will be telling their friends about like Anarchy and Wildside before it provided.

Shows are 2nd and 4th Saturday's at 8pm in the middle of nowhere (use Google Maps) but are worth the drive for good pro wrestling. I am going to try and attend as many shows as work and family will allow.

• Like 2

Randomly remembered a couple of notes from the WWW show in Cornelia.

Mikael Judas beat Todd Sexton

Forgot about Kory Chavis beating Chip Day on the second half of the card. Chavis is billed as the Soul Assassin so either he reaches into the depths of his opponents and assassinates his soul or he kills people with soul and flare.

I remember Seth Delay being really impressive on the NWA Wildside tapes I had back in the day.  Always figured he'd go on to do more.

TNT (Todd Sexton and Tony Stradlin) were a pretty good team around that same era.  I recall liking some matches they had with the Backseat Boys, though there's no telling how those matches have aged now by early 00 indy standards.

Speaking of old Wildside guys, whatever happened to Jimmy Rave?  He was all over the place 10 years or so ago and I can't recall hearing him do much in recent times.

I first saw Sexton in a tag team with Masada as the Texas Death Club. They won the tag titles that night from a blowjob babyface tag team billed from Myrtle Beach.

Rippa has Jimmy Rave in March Madness, so apparently he had some good matches in 2015.

I remember Seth Delay being really impressive on the NWA Wildside tapes I had back in the day.  Always figured he'd go on to do more.

TNT (Todd Sexton and Tony Stradlin) were a pretty good team around that same era.  I recall liking some matches they had with the Backseat Boys, though there's no telling how those matches have aged now by early 00 indy standards.

Speaking of old Wildside guys, whatever happened to Jimmy Rave?  He was all over the place 10 years or so ago and I can't recall hearing him do much in recent times.

Rave had drug problems, got over them, and has basically been the best wrestler in the Southern Indies by a decently wide margin for the last 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

There should be a quiz panel show on the network. Have a couple wrestlers, couple legends, couple comedians and Renee as the host. Each episode has a theme. I'd watch that, but not sure if quiz panel shows are purely a British phenomenon. Only American one I know of is Whose Line...

Mainly because the E n C show is just terrible. Not even in a so bad it's funny way. It's just bad. You could say it reeks.

I miss Julius Smokes. Unironically. I'd watch TNA if he were on it.

I do too.  My favorite Smokes moment is when he's standing in the aisle, doing his weird Julius Smokes shit, and Low-Ki just casually moves him aside so he can get to the ring.