DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

How I see is it was they really recaptured people's imagination with the Summer of Pawnk, then were back to generic-y promotion having really good matches up until the CZW feud, which is some of the best independent stories and matches I've ever seen, then fell back into the trapping of being pretty predictable but good nonetheless. Then Davey fucking Richards. Joe's reign was my favourite period. I wonder how those Punk/Joe matches have aged.

I rewatched the one from Best Friends, Stiffer Enemies recently and it bums me out it doesn't get as much love as the 3 matches from the following year. It was my first exposure to both guys and ROH in general, and really helped me broaden my horizons after a lifetime of watching WCW and the WWF. ECW functioned in somewhat the same way, but I was too young to have seen it live so that first ROH card was extra special for me.

Just before. late 2005 RoH after Bryan took the belt wasn't blow away great either, really.

I believe the blow-off for Homicide/Cabana was at the 100th show or Supercard of Honor in April 2006. I thought their feud was blow away great with Homicide pouring Drano down Cabana's throat and choking him with a wire hanger, plus it showed Cabana's ability to be more than a comedy guy.

Yeah, I loved the 'Cide-Cabana feud.

The CZW feud was good stuff, but I don't hold it in the same regard a lot of people do.  I prefer 2004-2005 to 2006.  2006 was good, but I prefer the undercard stuff to ROH-CZW.  I was a lot more invested in Homicide chasing AmDrag for the title than I was the CZW angle (I was more invested in Homicide-Cabana, for that matter).

Someone asked how the Joe-Punk series holds up.  Holds up nicely for me.  I rewatched all the Joe-Punk matches last year.

2004 to me was unquestionably Gabe's best booking job. Prophecy/SCS loses Daniels, they somehow keep that feud going at a high level (a high level of that is because Dan Maff is awesome), they lose AJ and the new Pure title, they rebuild it and have some fun matches there and make Walters feel cool, they come up with the Generation Next stable that makes 4 new stars, and Low-Ki's return was fantastic. Also, Joe/Punk. 2004 was a brilliant year.

• Like 1

How crazy that y'all are talking about this, because I dug up my DVD folder and started going through this period of ROH to see how it holds up.  The undercard is largely awful looking back, but you find some gems like Gibson vs Black Tiger(Romero).

How crazy that y'all are talking about this, because I dug up my DVD folder and started going through this period of ROH to see how it holds up.  The undercard is largely awful looking back, but you find some gems like Gibson vs Black Tiger(Romero).

That's what I found when my bud and I went back and watched some '04 shows. Some really good stuff but most of the undercard doesn't age well. Matches with the Havana Pitbulls/Rottweilers, Joe, Punk, Bryan, Briscoes, and a few others generally are really awesome but so much of the undercard is a chore to get through.

There was this one segment where CM Punk is trying to get Cabana to drop the comedy routine and he asks Ace something about being ready for the fight against the prophecy and Ace just uncorks the most intense "I'm fucking ready!" (or something along those lines). Punk does his damndest not to corpse. Cabana just starts looking off into the distance so as to not laugh. Sooo good. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

I think the PPV stuff was really the turning point for ROH. They were taped so far in advance and essentially were a completely different promotion because the angles were so new and basic. ROH had built a fanbase that literally cared about 40 odd shows a year and treated them all as important. Once it became clear they were content to tread water from PPV to PPV even after the enterprise had been established as a failure, it became very hard for the fans to be as invested.

Also, Gabe was really only at his best when booking an invasion story, and the Age of the Fall gimmick really fell flat as the PPV version of the CZW storyline. It devolved in to faction warfare, which felt like Gabe desperately trying to impersonate Dragongate.

Third, I would be remiss to let this talk of Smokes and Nana go without bringing up Super Agent Larry Sweeney, the greatest of all ROH managers.

Speaking of what he thinks:

Tom aka The Big Dog™ @TomBlargh

@WWEBigE What do you think of the new season of Total Divas?

Just waiting on the Total Dudes spinoff. Hopefully, it just consists of our seediest male talent picking up rats.

• Like 3

Speaking of what he thinks:

Tom aka The Big Dog™ @TomBlargh

@WWEBigE What do you think of the new season of Total Divas?

Just waiting on the Total Dudes spinoff. Hopefully, it just consists of our seediest male talent picking up rats.

If Jake isnt involved on camera, theyre just leaving money onnthe table.

I'm remembering a match with Ace and Chad Collyer where Chad randomly decided to get a mohawk, and some ladies in the crowd loved it.

I remember Chad Collyer in a match just randomly blasting Ace with a Chair behind the refs back and bloodying Ace up good. 

I was at that show. It was Punk: The Final Chapter. I have to believe they didn't plan for Ace to bleed THAT match in a random undercard match. It was buckets.

Rocky Romero was so good around that time. He would make my shortlist for most underrated guys in ROH history.

I'm remembering a match with Ace and Chad Collyer where Chad randomly decided to get a mohawk, and some ladies in the crowd loved it.

I remember Chad Collyer in a match just randomly blasting Ace with a Chair behind the refs back and bloodying Ace up good. 

I was at that show. It was Punk: The Final Chapter. I have to believe they didn't plan for Ace to bleed THAT match in a random undercard match. It was buckets.

Rocky Romero was so good around that time. He would make my shortlist for most underrated guys in ROH history.

Hey, me and you were both at that show then.

• Like 1