DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2016.

The Natural

I never really enjoyed Batista at all in his career until two years ago when he turned heel, put in work in those awesome six-man tags against the Shield, and then did his little wave thing on the way out, which whenever I see that GIF is an automatic belly laugh for me for whatever reason.

His problem was that he's much better as a shithead pampered entitled heel than as a face, but they (logically) brought him back as a face for that run. Even if Bryan weren't on fire at the time, I think the crowd would have turned on it fairly quickly. Plus, without heel Batista, we don't get those two six-mans between Evolution and the Shield, so it all worked out well from my perspective as a fan who wants to be entertained.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back again, but only if he basically does his own version of The Rock's Hollywood heel gimmick.

Do you think WWE would be brazen enough to play with their own booking tropes by having HHH enter the Rumble at, say, 19 where it is then assumed that he will enter and eliminate Reigns, only for Reigns to rebound and eliminate HHH almost immediately after he enters the ring? I mean, the audience has been conditioned over the years to expect some sort of screw job here, and plenty of people are guessing that HHH shows up in the Rumble to eliminate Reigns and possibly even win the title. Him just showing up will get a groan from a huge portion of the fan base because of this pre-conceived notion of what he'll end up doing. But if he gets in the ring and teases a big spot only to be quickly dumped out, that would get a huge pop. I mention this because I've noticed NXT starting to book some of their big matches against common main roster tropes. The entire Eva Marie/Bayley match a perfect example of this, building on expectations the audience has based solely on years of prior experience in this same situation, and then flipping it on it's head. Kind of a post-modern way of booking, I think, and I wonder if they'd be self-aware enough to have something like that happen to HHH just to toy with the emotions of the audience?

I thought he left because of money. If it wasn't the reason, he sure left some cryptic quotes about it.. 

In the sense that he was initially promised a main event run and title reign, and then fans resented the shit out of him so plans changed, I would guess he was making less money than expected.

I can't wait for Bryan's music to hit at #15 or whatever while the crowd goes nuts until after thirty seconds, he doesn't come out and the music changes to HHH's theme. 

• Like 1

RE: Dave leaving.

I looked it up and I remember all of this stuff now. Meltz and the like reported WWE said he quit because he didn't want to job and Bautista said it was because of a whole bunch of things. A classic wrestling story of unnamed sources and back alley conversations. 

http://www.inquisitr.com/1246820/wwe-news-batista-lied-to-by-wwe-considered-leaving-for-good/ 

Predictions(which I'm usually notoriously bad at)....

Henry and Swagger win the pre-show 4 Way. 

New Day retains over Uso's

Charlotte beats Becky with interference from Nature Daddy. (I think Charlotte stays champ until Wrestlemania, when she's beaten by Sasha). 

Owens beats Ambrose(and neither guy enters the Rumble match)

Kalisto beats Alberto,and actually holds the title for a while 

Final four in the Rumble match- Bray, Luke, Brock, Strowman. The three Wyatt's combine to take out Brock, then Harper and Braun eliminate themselves, allowing their leader to win and become the new WWE champion. 

"Surprise" Rumble entrants will be AJ Styles(although that's not really a surprise anymore), Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe, RVD, and just for laughs, I'll say Daniel Bryan.

I, for one, now really really want Strowman to carry a bone.

If people think that Owens would be booked to go over here, esp. by eliminating Lesnar, they are on the crack rock.

HHH winning would sadden me. I give him credit that he would not directly step over all the new & future talent thusly.

- RAF

In my view,yes. The situation would not be one of putting himself over the young'uns to feed his ego (interWeb konspiracy) but putting the focus on himself (old guard vet) as a knee-jerk reaction to dropping ratings/stock/viewership instead of thee "building for the future" by utilizing the new(ish) talent and giving some new face or angle or program a try. My (hopeful) take is that HHH gets more satisfaction from seeing his ideas bear fruit rather than the ego trip of going over (or keeping down (iWk)).

To truly pass the torch, the established star steps down and away. Helmsley will be in front of the cameras for a while still. If he is not fading back, then he should stay out of the main event mix. It would still be significant to truly let some newer talent run with the belt, and feud with other new talent, with a committed long term booking plan -----

----- STOP LAUGHING!!!! WHY ARE YOU ALL LAUGHING!?!?

positivity,

RAF

I thought Sasha would be out past Mania?

Both Meltzer and PWI said she was out until February at least.

Of course the WWE has Sasha out denying she is hurt because (again from Meltzer and PWI) they don't want folks acknowledging they are hurt because so many people are hurt