DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2016 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Someone do me a favour. Go to Rockstar Games Social Club. Click on Games. Scroll down.

Are you seeing Agent: Coming Soon in the bottom right as well? That wasn't there last year.

gamesIndexAGENT_20131217.jpg

From Dec of this past year

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-images-of-rockstars-mysterious-1970s-spy-game-/1100-6433302/

New images from Rockstar Games' long-in-development espionage-themed game Agent have emerged online. A gallery of images that purportedly come from a person who worked on the game in 2009 and 2010 was posted on Reddit (via Eurogamer), providing a "new" look at the mysterious spy game.

So...Gamestop will be publishing at least 4 sub-$40 games as semi-exclusives (looks like they'll be digitally available), including Insomniac's next title, Song of the Deep (out 7/12) and an as-yet-untitled game from Frozenbyte (the Trine makers).  I don't know how I feel about that, but it's likely to take me into Gamestop for the first time in forever.

OMG, an alleged leak of Red Dead Redemption 2's map and it is hyuuuuge if you compare the size of its Great Plains to that of the original. Autumn 2017 plus it sounds like we're getting an HD remake of the first one. I'm going to have to go in a broke ass, homemade cryonic suspension device a la Cartman. TEW 2016 will have to do, I guess.

Red Dead Redemption is my favourite game of all time and I cannot wait to see what Rockstar does with the new consoles' power.

16 hours ago, Salads said:

I know Red Dead Redemption looked bad but I'm pretty sure it was already HD.

You know that the default display settings deliberately makes the video look grainy, right? 

It was there to make the game look like an old school Western movie or television show.

Tinkering with the display settings cleans that up a little, but the character and environment rendering still left a lot to be desired.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst delayed two weeks - will now come out June 7 in the states

Hello everyone,
As you know, we’re about to open the gates to the city of Glass for participants of the Closed Beta. One of the key features of the Beta and the full game is Social Play, detailed in our latest developer diary.

Taking on Dashes designed by DICE, creating your own Time Trials, climbing the Leaderboards, and connecting with your Runner friends are some of the Social Play features we’re really excited about – and something we want to play flawlessly.

To support the Social Play features, we are using a brand new online technology. We also want to make sure we have the opportunity and time to address player feedback from the Closed Beta. That is why we will give ourselves a bit more time to perfect the game, with a new release date for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst of June 7th (NA) and June 9th (EU). We’re confident that these extra two weeks will make sure the game is as amazing as possible for you the players.

Thank you all for your continued support and excitement for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. The return of Faith is imminent.
Erik Odeldahl, Design Director

On 20/04/2016 at 3:21 PM, J.T. said:

You know that the default display settings deliberately makes the video look grainy, right? 

It was there to make the game look like an old school Western movie or television show.

I'm not disputing this, but I'm not believing it either.

I have played the Mirror's Edge Beta.

And son. I am fucking hooked.

I am so relieved that they did not go to the Assassin's Creed/Dying Light style and automate the running because it feels so fucking good to  do Parkour.

Like so fucking good guys. Nothing is automated. Everything you do is controlled by you. The controls are tight, and if you are really good at the game and have the imagination, you can feel good doing time trials or just delivering packages. If you did not like the controls of the first one and felt that running was too convoluted, this game is not for you. Everything about the Parkour is involved and involves you being "involved." You have to time things, you have to be aware of where you are to your object that you are vaulting or where you are leaping or how you are approaching it. This game is about momentum and keeping it. You can't just fuck off and hold the trigger and expect the computer to control. Nothing is automated. You can fall off your death because you were distracted. It is not going to hold your hand. Like the Parkour is A-1 guys. I literally have not had so much fun just doing that in a game. 

The combat is a bit wonky at first but once you get the idea that you really are not supposed to stop moving and mashing the Heavy strike, it works out. Like I have seen people just spam heavy strikes and wonder why Faith sucks. Once I started connected that some enemies can be set up for a bunch of quick light strikes after one heavy, it was awesome. I did a corkscrew kick on an enemy(the camera turned to third person and Faith went Jet Li on the motherfucker.

I seriously hope they ditch the progression system because it is bullshit. Like, I should not have to level up to do a fucking roll. Especially since you can just spam delivery missions(they work like post-Spider-man 2 so you get infinite amount of them to do so). 

the oval is a fake. both sources of the "leak" are just pranks.

Also: a patent is not an Exact Blueprint of a thing because then people could copy it before you're ready. What they submitted is Sorta Maybe Kinda Close Enough. This happens all the time with patent law in the tech industry. so while a screened controller is a very good bet (since they're at the end of the lifecycle of both the Wii U and the 3DS, both teams are working on the same project to make a console that can be played handheld) it's probably not going to be a completely unergonomic oval with analog sticks sticking out.

On 4/20/2016 at 9:21 AM, J.T. said:

Tinkering with the display settings cleans that up a little, but the character and environment rendering still left a lot to be desired.

I thought the landscape and the expanse of the thing looked quite gorgeous for a console game in 2010, and I finished it finally last year and still thought that it was a visually strong game once you got beyond a lot of the character models/rendering. When the game was slow and you were just riding your horse through the open world, it was pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

I thought the landscape and the expanse of the thing looked quite gorgeous for a console game in 2010, and I finished it finally last year and still thought that it was a visually strong game once you got beyond a lot of the character models/rendering. When the game was slow and you were just riding your host through the open world, it was pretty impressive.

The vistas were gorgeous and the intentionally gimped video settings never really bothered me.  It was like playing an episode of Gunsmoke.

Stuff I'm looking forward to in the next couple months.

TEW 2016 (full release on Monday) 

Total War:Warhammer (God, they're pulling me in deeper and deeper with every video. Please don't suck. Please don't suck)

Stellaris (A very deep 4X game by Paradox Interactive, makers of awesome strategy games. Um. Yes, Please.)

And Honorable Mentions (Games that are out but I haven't played too much of yet)

Rocket League Basketball

Warhammer 40K Battlefleet Gothic Armada (Apparently playing as the Orks is hella fun, especially when one of your major things is just ramming into everything)

Rocket League basketball is out. I was at a friend's house and we tried to get a game of local mp 2v2 and it wasn't working. The top two players played just fine but the bottom two just had empty screens and had to watch. Then we tried to do it with just a regular game of 2v2 and it was the same thing. Has the patch screwed up anybody else's local multiplayer experience on Rocket League? Even just playing a few minutes of 1 vs. 1 RL basketball was fun. It's going to be so great when I get 2 vs. 2 going.

I'm buying TEW for myself and two friends. That game rules. After that, I probably won't buy a new game for at least a few months. It's not something I'll rush out to get unless the reviews say it's one of the best games ever.  I'll wait for the price drop or a sale. It looks beautiful, but it just ain't a priority and I've got a bunch of games that need playing. MGS, rest of Fallout, Witcher, platinum Arkham Knight, and Assassin's Creed. I also want to beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 & 2 after starting Demon's Souls a few years back. My plate is full!

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I really wanted to like Dishonored but I think I had too many powers at my disposal.  Sometimes you can give a guy too much freedom. 

The metaplot you can see coming from miles away was troubling as well as the story that was not better than the some of its parts. 

Lots of memorable moments in a game world that IMO has made the best use of steampunk in any game ever (including BioShock) were thwacked by a rather shitty ending and repetitive missions that you could trvialize once you hit upon the secret recipe of powers and items that best complimented your playstyle.

Corvo is definitely one of my favorite video game characters in recent memory.  The mask is badass.

Gamespot gave Uncharted 4 a 10 out of 10 - and EVERYONE has lost their damn mind about it

I think it is primed for a Fresh video on it because you have people complaining that no game ever deserves a perfect score (those people are clearly voters in the baseball HOF) and then you have those who are all SPAM AND HACK ANY SITE THAT DOESN'T GIVE THE GAME AT LEAST A 9!!!!

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Gamespot gave Uncharted 4 a 10 out of 10 - and EVERYONE has lost their damn mind about it

I think it is primed for a Fresh video on it because you have people complaining that no game ever deserves a perfect score (those people are clearly voters in the baseball HOF) and then you have those who are all SPAM AND HACK ANY SITE THAT DOESN'T GIVE THE GAME AT LEAST A 9!!!!

Nearly every review I've read about Uncharted 4 seems to damn the game with faint praise. 

There are a lot of criticisms about the level design and about how U4 is the biggest game of the franchise, but not necessarily the best and it is clear that Naughty Dog has hit the wall when it comes to getting more out of the story and out of the game engine.

The vistas are gorgeous but the combat is very clunky and you also spend nearly half of the game climbing. Oh, God, the climbing....