DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2016 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Makes sense, you want to do something to differentiate Battlefield from CoD, and CoD is all sci-fi and cyborgs now... it's not like they've done a Far Cry and made it pre-gunpowder.

Technically - that is still in the window they gave a few months ago.

AND - it actually lines up with the release dates of ME2 and ME3 (which were both March releases)

Yay for Overwatch!

And I'm bummed about Lionhead. A Lionhead dev was on Reddit earlier saying they're as good as closed and it's an incredible long shot to keep them alive.

It's easy to miss things when you're always distracted.

EDIT: Also, it wasn't good. It took Black and White in a direction that didn't work. I also recall it being pretty buggy.

I would actually say it was Black and White. He positioned that game as doing things you could never do in a video game before, being so incredibly deep, being revolutionary, etc. and it turned out to be 3D Populous. From there, it was all downhill. The hype machine was turned down somewhat for Fable, but then he cranked it back up again for Fable 2.

There's no doubt he has a brilliant mind for video games, but he needs someone to rein him in because it leads to underdelivering like crazy.

• Like 1

HA!

I like that you say the hype machine was turned down for Fable when that was the game that pretty much cemented Molyneux as an over-promiser

In fact Molyneux himself says it was Fable that gave him his rep

A few years later came the infamous Fable acorn—the one that never turned into that oak tree. "That one line then changed people's perceptions of me," Molyneux told me. "Because I became someone who promised acorns that didn't grow into trees."

Fable was legitimately good but I just wish there'd been more of it. It was basically a 3D Zelda game without dungeons, and some basic skill building. I never played the sequel but the first one, despite being over-hyped at the time, I think has held up fairly well.

Black and White was a flat out bad game, but it had so many genuinely interesting ideas that it almost makes up for it. Not quite, but almost. I still feel like the town building and the creature training are really two totally separate games that both would have been better on their own than merged together.