DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Do sports leagues still do blackouts? Indiana dropped that years ago. Pacers/Colts games have been broadcasted locally even when games are clearly not even close to being sold out for probably 15 years. 

MLB.tv has the local teams blacked out. The local networks don't. I could watch the Red Sox on NESN but that requires me to purchase cable and the sports pack. I'd rather skip the middle man and just get MLB.tv.

Found Daniel Bryan's  book at the library and two stories are making me laugh

-The one about Shawn Michaels training them (This is about a year after Shawn retired the first time for his back) and HBK getting all mad because nobody can hit a backdrop properly, so he jumps in the ring and takes a huge backdrop that causes his foot to scrape against the ceiling, and lands perfect, only for his mother to come steaming in through the doors and berating him for five minutes about how he's not allowed to wrestle on account of his back in front of all his students.

-The one where Bryan talks about training for a week with Masato Tanaka who he describes as muscular and intense and hard-working but that the main memory he'll always take away is Tanaka leaving one day, getting onto a moped and speeding off while shouting "Bye Bye" in a voice much higher than one would expect from him.  

• Like 1

Just started Backlund's book, which is looking like it's going to be excellent. He says that because his parents basically left him in a crib for two years as an infant/toddler, his back didn't develop right. Which is why he has that weird posture. 

Interesting. 

So...can anyone decipher the Asuka/Twitter deal that she was going on about? From what I gather, she's either been released or WWE gives her freedom. Depending on which person translates the tweet.

I'd bet $100 that she hasn't been released.

Please don't translate my Japanese tweets for Japanese fans with software as you will often be misled by incorrect translation.

And what a shame I was somewhat specific in saying I had people attempt to translate them.

I was just posting what she said herself about people trying to translate her Japanese tweets. Touchy much?

Been watching 1999 Raw since Christmas Eve.

From Survivor Series 1998 to Wrestlemania 15 was the best run of TV the WWF ever had. The matches were longer than I remembered and had clean finishes. Not like roll ups or shit but outright finishes.

Then it starts crumbling around WM 15. They screw up the build to the IC and Hardcore title matches. They do not run a Foley vs Austin vs Rock triple threat everyone seemed to want. I remember around January, Austin said online he was hoping Foley kept the belt. 

Shane McMahon keeping the European title was nonsensical and a bad sign of things to come. It did allow Triple H to turn heel, which was necessary. But then Shane was too good to lose the title to someone.

I loved the Ministry storyline but post Mania they have Shane become his partner. Not his underling but his partner.

Of course I'm sure everyone remembers the Higher Power reveal. Early in the episode Vince mentions Jake the Snake as a suspect and it gets a big reaction. Vince kinda looks sick, knowing the reveal sucks. 

The biggest question is, why would Vince reveal himself as the Higher Power? He had nothing to gain and lost a powerful tool.

It seems like Vince and his family were getting to like being on TV and were talked into some bad ideas. Losing Russo was the luckiest thing that ever happened to the WWF. How did Bill Busch talk to Russo and not think he was an idiot? 

I actually wonder where the WWF was going to go if Russo had stayed into 2000. Has he ever revealed any plans he had for that time period? He booked until October of 1999 so surely he had pre-planned something. 

I also wonder where Stephanie/Test was supposed to go. They did the trash can thing with Bulldog to postpone the ending since it seems like Russo never got around to telling anyone what the damn ending was. 

I seriously doubt he knew what he was going to eat for breakfast when he woke up. The WWF writers trying to imitate Russo was somehow even worse. The wedding episode was some awful tv. 

I don't know what changed in 2000. The writing was still sorta shitty but they at least let guys have matches again.

One thing I notice is guys like Rock, Austin and Undertaker are not being hurt as much as the undercard. Probably because they can tel him to fuck off. 

Anybody remember how he tried to trick Austin into feuding with Jarrett? He had Austin randomly stunner Jarrett and said you have to work with him now and Austin basically said "fuck you".

One thing I notice is guys like Rock, Austin and Undertaker are not being hurt as much as the undercard. Probably because they can tel him to fuck off. 

Anybody remember how he tried to trick Austin into feuding with Jarrett? He had Austin randomly stunner Jarrett and said you have to work with him now and Austin basically said "fuck you".

Wasn't that also the reason that The Shield worked so well? They also told creative/writers to fuck off if their ideas were weak.

The funny thing about the Attitude era is that on the one hand it is severly overrated by a lot of fans, then it gets too much flak from older fans for being overrated and a cluster fuck and then there is a point were you can't deny it was pretty damn good television for its time period.

Rusev ‏@RusevBUL  7m

Thanks America all I wanted was a beer. But noooooooooo it's Sunday. You suck.

Poor bastard is in the wrong part of town   ;)

Welcome to Blue Laws. Those of us in Indiana know this well.

Isn't it the worst? Can't buy a case of beer, but can go to a shitty bar, over pay, and then chance a DUI. Indiana is a cruel state. Even dumber than not being able to buy at all on Sunday is the law that you can't buy between 3AM-7AM. So arbitrary. 

Tough scheduling in my neck of the woods as SICW has its monthly show in East Carondelet on Saturday, but Ring Of Honor is in town(Collinsville) on Saturday as well.  Kinda sucks as Larry Matysik had previously done TV spots for their shows in the area.

TEAM BAD has a theme song now (as opposed to them using Sasha's music)

It's absolutely astounding to me that the same people that made this bad (no pun intended) ass theme are the same ones responsible for this: