DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

He's actually not that dramatically smaller than Baba was, I'm almost positive he's done the move to Great Khali, so that sort of makes the argument pointless.

I was just pointing out how dope Jumbo was. And Baba before 1977ish. In that match, Jumbo also slammed Baba multiple times with ease and walked around the ring with him on his shoulders in a fireman carry with no struggle at all. I was really expecting him to hit Baba with the deadlift belly to belly at that point.

I always thought that DVDVR board consensus was Jumbo Tsuruta was the single best in-ring Wrestler of all time. Stro trying to argue that he is in fact very good is pretty much preaching to the choir, isn't it?

I always thought that DVDVR board consensus was Jumbo Tsuruta was the single best in-ring Wrestler of all time. Stro trying to argue that he is in fact very good is pretty much preaching to the choir, isn't it?

Jumbo is one of my all-time favorites (he was my favorite until I finally fully embraced Andre but that isn't a slight on him) but I don't think I have ever said he was the the best in-ring of all time.

However - there is a movement afoot by several (who post across multiple sites) that Jumbo is really overrated, was only good for like 3 years and the rest is very boring.

So one could argue he is more focusing his argument towards those folks.

That being said - Cris is also right in that there tends to be a general mentality that when comparing two things that the one you don't prefer either is unnecessary or sucks.

• Like 1

MORE AWESOMENESS!

gotch.gif

tumblr_nu2vvqtHpr1ruwpoco2_400.gif

Ivan's "SONUVA!" reaction and then getting dope-slapped makes that whole sequence.

Volk was amazing but these clips really make you question how anyone thought these matches were shoots at any point.

I'm just watching 40 year old matches where Jumbo was doing spots people think are amazing when Cesaro does them today. I do think Cesaro is kind of whatever, though.

Yeah, but you should be thankful that Cesaro is there doing Jumbo's moves. Because then if you want to turn someone on to Jumbo, you have an easy comparison so you can "If you like X, you'll love Y" the whole thing. If Cesaro wasn't out there, who would you have to say Jumbo is a better version of? Kurt Angle?

Cesaro is nothing like Jumbo, though. Outside of a couple of moves, which aren't exactly Jumbo specific either. Kurt Angle isn't a patch on Jumbo, either. Jumbo used psychology and selling. Cesaro matches have no psychology and haven't since the matches with Sami in NXT. Angle hasn't used psychology or selling in about 14 years.