DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Do some of you seriously think Disney gives a shit about WWE or wrestling?

Pro Wrestling fans have the weirdest inferiority complex about the thing that we all love. 

WWE is a very profitable company with a wide audience and built in ways to maintain profitability even if that audience were to shrink. If Vince were to put his shares in WWE on the market right now, he'd likely have no trouble finding a buyer. Would it be Disney? Who knows but to act like pro wrestling (or more specifically WWE's brand of it) is something that Disney wouldn't "give a shit about" ignores the reality of the business world. 

As much as we hate its on-screen product (and with good reason), WWE is an extremely well run and profitable company.

• Like 1

The ultimately awesome hypothetical screwjob out of it?

Vince sells to Disney a ridiculous 9 figure sum.

Months later court ruling in whatever case rules that wrestlers are in fact not independent contractors.

Disney panic and sell it back to Vince for a fraction of what they paid for it.

First RAW back sees independent contractor Raven in a Mickey Mouse costume take a mother of all beatings from Roman Reigns.

• Like 1

He wasn't that gung-ho about being SE rather than Pro Wrestling as early as 86, was he? Notwithstanding, third party magazine, might have paraphrased him. The marquee says Wrestling, we're a wrestling magazine, nobody knows what the bloody hell Sports Entertainment is. Pretend he said Wrestling.

Wrestling '86 was an Apter mag, so I tend to assume the story was fictitious anyway.

It was based off an appearance with Larry King, so it wasn't your typical Apter mag "interview".

EDIT: Further research confirms that it was the transcript of a TV interview that took place June 30, 1986. It's real and it's spectacular.

• Like 1

Just caught the descriptions WWE wrote for the AWA shows they've added to the Network. Nobody better than Shawn Michaels. Now that's the WWE I know and love (to roll my eyes at). 

To go back to this point:

If some kid who only knows Shawn Michaels watches an AWA show and falls in love with their show then the world is a better place. Shawn Michaels is the most well known former AWA wrestler to modern fans so it makes sense to emphasize his involvement. 

Just caught the descriptions WWE wrote for the AWA shows they've added to the Network. Nobody better than Shawn Michaels. Now that's the WWE I know and love (to roll my eyes at).

To go back to this point:

If some kid who only knows Shawn Michaels watches an AWA show and falls in love with their show then the world is a better place. Shawn Michaels is the most well known former AWA wrestler to modern fans so it makes sense to emphasize his involvement.

Exactly. It's the same reason the SMW stuff they put up features Jericho. These shows need to get views if we want more. That's why it was a mistake when they launched the network and put up World Class. There was no hook to get younger viewers to watch WCCW.

Michaels is the most well-known former AWA wrestler? Are we forgetting Hogan?

If you're putting up shows from the era that Shawn was there, he'd be the most known guy on the roster. 

Speaking of Hogan though, has there been any talk about taking Donald Trump out of the Hall of Fame or at least removing him from the website? Hogan got that treatment and his shit looks tame compared to what Trump is saying. 

Michaels is the most well-known former AWA wrestler? Are we forgetting Hogan?

If you're putting up shows from the era that Shawn was there, he'd be the most known guy on the roster. 

Speaking of Hogan though, has there been any talk about taking Donald Trump out of the Hall of Fame or at least removing him from the website? Hogan got that treatment and his shit looks tame compared to what Trump is saying. 

Vince and Trump are friends, members of the same political party, and (most likely) share the same views. Hogan is just an old wrestler that people care less and less about each day. Donald Trump is on national/international television every day and is running for President, and will likely be the Republican nominee at this rate.

So, no. At this point, it's something WWE can brag about. If he wins in 2016... oh, they're reallyyyy going to brag about it.

I don't want to go too far down the political rabbit hole, but to be fair there's no way of knowing if Trump and Vince's political opinions are the same simply because they're both Republicans. Especially since the narrative this season is what an extreme far-right tack Trump has been taking.

The only way we'd ever know for sure is if he said so, and I don't see Vince going anywhere near that right now. He might very well characterize it, but that's not the same thing.

I like how we're being optimistic that Vince McMahon, a Republican millionaire, doesn't share the same views as many of the same people in his party. I hate to paint everyone with the same brush, but... these days, it's kind of easy. Are we pretending that Vince isn't using characters like Muhammed Hassan, all the black stereotypes over the years, any foreign character, etc. as a metaphor for what he actually believes and thinks in private (not so privately, sometimes). He speaks through multiple characters, to pretend any different is just wanting to ignore that fact. I'm pretty sure it was just last year when Rusev was bashing Obama for being puny and small and not lifting weights in the gym. JBL and Michael Cole ripping on Obama and the Democratic Party during a match certainly happened - I remember muting the TV because it was so fucking annoying.

Oddly enough, I don't remember WWE being political during the Bush years, but before and after his run, they were all about it. Oh, and Obama stepping in at the last minute to endorse Linda's opponent in that congressional race (not that it really mattered, though. Connecticut is a blue state).

Lest we forget who went over in the infamous Trump VS. Rosie match on RAW, too... ;)

Okay, I'm done. :)