DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

It seems like everyone agrees that Jalen and Simmons should stick around, but Wilbon and Magic are the major problems.  If Wilbon was more like Ernie Johnson, and less like the Davey Richards of hosting, he would be ok.

Yeah, Ernie Johnson is amazingly perfect in his role.  His ability to point out when Shaq, Kenny and Charles go crazy without seeming like a spoil sport is the key to the entire show.  He gives them enough rope to verbally auto-erotic asphixiate, but he pulls them back before they actually die. 

• Like 3

Watched Bucks/Wolves last night, which was apparently played in a high school gym.  I was skeptical about the Giannis pick, but I think he might be able to contribute this season.  Dude is an absolute physical freak.  He had a couple of chasedown blocks that were incredible.  Seemed to have a good instinct for getting after rebounds, too.  He's still not very good at basketball in general, but he'll be a useful wildcard off the bench and has some potential as a wing stopper on a team that badly, badly needs one.  Henson looked good, too.  For a young guy he's got lots of sneaky little moves in the post.  Wolters seems like he'll be a perfectly competent backup PG and Ridnour was shockingly spry.  This still won't be a good team, but they'll be fun to watch.

I'm crushed that V-Rad's retirement has gotten nary a mention in this thread.  You all disappoint me.

Wait, so I don't have to hear Wilbon and Magic at halftime, and I don't have to hear Doris Burke call games? This is the very definition of a win win. The only way it could get better is when Bill "Total Control" Simmons gets cut off mid Kobe/PED rant again and writes a eighty five thousand word column about how mean ESPN is, probably using Breaking Bad moments as a terrible unnecessary metaphor.

• Like 3

I have always found her extremely perseverative in the booth. It's like he comes up with three or four things she knows she wants to say (all of which are rather banal, like "Dwight needs to avoid offensive fouls) and repeats them at basically every opportunity. Sometimes this is ok, and its good she does research and has a plan going in, but I feel as though she never actually reacts to the game. Rather, she lets the game react to her preconceived narrative. 

I have always found her extremely perseverative in the booth. It's like he comes up with three or four things she knows she wants to say (all of which are rather banal, like "Dwight needs to avoid offensive fouls) and repeats them at basically every opportunity. Sometimes this is ok, and its good she does research and has a plan going in, but I feel as though she never actually reacts to the game. Rather, she lets the game react to her preconceived narrative. 

I know this is really sexist, but it is freakin' weird to have a woman call men's games. Its not fair, but that's a big part of it. . .

It seems like everyone agrees that Jalen and Simmons should stick around, but Wilbon and Magic are the major problems. If Wilbon was more like Ernie Johnson, and less like the Davey Richards of hosting, he would be ok.

Yeah, Ernie Johnson is amazingly perfect in his role. His ability to point out when Shaq, Kenny and Charles go crazy without seeming like a spoil sport is the key to the entire show. He gives them enough rope to verbally auto-erotic asphixiate, but he pulls them back before they actually die.
Kinkiest traffic cop ever.

I wouldn't say keep her on the sidelines in an insulting way, it's just that I'd rather be great at one thing than be ok at another.  She's a damn good sideline reporter.  I think she'll be good in the studio, definitely a step up from what they had, but there is something to be said for playing to your strengths.

Watched the Rockets v. Pacers in Taipei. Rockets chemistry with Dwight already seems awesome. Rockets still play extremely uptempo and fly to the basket.

Ironically, they play pretty much the same as they did with Asik in the middle. Only with a better Asik. And Dwight can actually get points on the post up.

Still think the Rockets are top 3 in the west.

Watched the Rockets v. Pacers in Taipei. Rockets chemistry with Dwight already seems awesome. Rockets still play extremely uptempo and fly to the basket.Ironically, they play pretty much the same as they did with Asik in the middle. Only with a better Asik. And Dwight can actually get points on the post up.Still think the Rockets are top 3 in the west.

I saw that Isaiah Canaan got a little playing time, but was 0-2.  Any thoughts on your backup PG situation?  I'd imagine it would take an injury for him to find the floor this season, but the kid has been shooting NBA range 3's since his freshman year at Murray so he seems to fit the system down there.

I hope he gets a chance.

Hard to see Canaan cracking the Lin/Beverley/Brooks rotation.  I like him, but he just seems like a D-League player to me.

Corey Maggette got waived by the Spurs and is likely calling it a career.  Pretty much the definition of a solid hand who had the misfortune of spending his prime on the pre-CP3 Clippers.  He would have been great as a 3rd option on a good team.