DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Didn't he have beef with the Steinbrenners?   

I mean, I just assume that of all people who leave the Yankees organization in one way or another. (Berra, Martin, Mantle, Rizzuto, Jackson, etc. etc.)

Come on Yanks - you need a hitting coach and I totally don't need to own pants

Enjoying the rumors that Hideki Matsui could get the gig (he's currently doing the roving instructor thing for them).

Hey - I love Matsui too.

Though my Mom would be WAY more into that one than I did.

God my Mom was obsessed with Mariano and Hideki. I don't want to think about this anymore...

Only way we trade Castro and Schwarber is if we get a really good, young, cost controlled SP. 

The Cubs are going to do something to address CF. It's a big need. Maybe we re-sign Fowler, but if not, they will make a decently big move there. 

SP is an interesting market. We won't get Greinke, nor do I want to pay him for an unsustainable season. Price is the top pitcher on the market still to me. If we don't get him, there is a sizable drop off after those 2. I think the Cubs are going to target Price, and push very very strongly early on.

Thoughts on the two players...

Castro: He's done a majorly impressive job of rebuilding his trade value since being benched and he is a much, much better fit at 2B than he is at SS. More than that is his level of maturity. Many idiots, like Al Yellon or Gordo, accused Castro of having ADHD because of the errors he would commit at SS. I still find those accusations to be so gross. We don't like how this player has been performing, so let's just say he has ADHD! That explains it! Ugh... Others accused him of having poor body language. We're months removed from it now, but Castro all of a sudden became Jay Cutler-lite. He then gets benched, handles it with such grace, responds well to changing his stance at the plate and then shows marked improvement with a move to 2B, all the while receiving nothing but positive remarks from his teammates. I'm not quite sure you can call Castro a leader, but damn, I think he's a valuable part of any team. Going into next year, if he isn't traded, you figure Castro and LaStella take control of 2B, Baez plays 3B more than SS or 2B and Russell owns SS. The question becomes, do Theo and Jed keep a very expensive platoon player?

Schwarber: Incredible power, but let's face it, he's probably not going to wind up as a catcher and he's a horror show out in LF. He looks like me trying to play LF in a softball beer league. So what do you do with a talent like Schwarbs? Make sure he spends the whole offseason doing nothing but fielding fly balls? I'm not sure.

It's not like either of these guys would be traded for junk, but to me, they look like the guys easiest to part ways with and I don't want to lose either of them. If they're traded, it would most certainly need to be for a SP, and not a reclamation project.

We'll see. They could both make it through ST for all I know.

I also doubt we re-sign Fowler. He'll get a qualifying offer, but will likely take a bigger contract with another team. I'll miss his defense out in CF and he was a hell of a lead off bat. It's nice to get a guy having a career year.

Trading Schwarber would suck. I know he's not known to be the best of catchers but it would be lame to trade him so the Cubs can keep David Ross around. Miguel Montero is a fine player but he didn't really endear himself to the fans with his post-season either. I don't think Schwarber will ever become a good corner outfielder but he's spent so little time out there and the team doesn't have any great LFs in the waiting, so I'd keep him and play him there for the year. Dude's a freak in terms of power and while I hate the term clutch, he came up with some huge hits right from the get go. Plz keep him.

How close is CJ Edwards? Not a fan of Hammel but he's signed for $9 million for another year and then has a buyout for 2017, so I doubt he's going anywhere. That leaves one big spot in the rotation to fill. One more good reliever would help too. So, 1 SP, 1 RP, and a CF on the shopping list. Spending a tonne on starting pitchers generally isn't a good idea, so I hope they move Castro+ (still some very good players in the minors even after all the promotions) for a quality starter instead of giving Price a bigger deal than Lester's. Price will eventually come good in the playoffs but I don't want the Cubs to be the team to wait it out and certainly not at the price he'll command.

Los Angeles has shown Don Mattingly the door.

If past history is any indicator, the Dodgers will win the World Series next year.

Would Mattingly be considered an upgrade for the Tigers over Brad Ausmus? I would think so. Would Detroit jettison Ausmus after saying they'd retain him, if they could get Donnie?

I think Donnie lands in MIA, they have repeatedly been mentioned as having interest in him, to the extent that I though the clubs might work out some sort of agreement that allowed Mattingly to walk and go over there.

Gabe Kapler somehow seems to be the frontrunner to replace Donnie so far, I guess that stems from his knowledge of advance metrics and relationship with Friedman?

I am hoping for Wallach to get at least some consideration and maybe Dave Martinez, but I don't see Martinez leaving CHC.

Rick Renteria has to get a call to be a manager for someone.

Trading Schwarber would suck. I know he's not known to be the best of catchers but it would be lame to trade him so the Cubs can keep David Ross around. Miguel Montero is a fine player but he didn't really endear himself to the fans with his post-season either. I don't think Schwarber will ever become a good corner outfielder but he's spent so little time out there and the team doesn't have any great LFs in the waiting, so I'd keep him and play him there for the year. Dude's a freak in terms of power and while I hate the term clutch, he came up with some huge hits right from the get go. Plz keep him.

How close is CJ Edwards? Not a fan of Hammel but he's signed for $9 million for another year and then has a buyout for 2017, so I doubt he's going anywhere. That leaves one big spot in the rotation to fill. One more good reliever would help too. So, 1 SP, 1 RP, and a CF on the shopping list. Spending a tonne on starting pitchers generally isn't a good idea, so I hope they move Castro+ (still some very good players in the minors even after all the promotions) for a quality starter instead of giving Price a bigger deal than Lester's. Price will eventually come good in the playoffs but I don't want the Cubs to be the team to wait it out and certainly not at the price he'll command.

Theo's press conference just ended and he said he really doesn't want to lose any of the position players, but he's not sure how the market is going to shake out or who is going to be available. That said, they're not worrying about the trade market.

As for starting pitching, they asked too much of Hendricks and should have known that with this being his first full season and with him being a more cerebral pitcher. Theo said he still had a good season and he'll be better next season as he had already figured out much of what wasn't working earlier on.

The goal though, is that if the offseason goes according to plan, spring training will start with more than 5 starters so unnecessary pressure doesn't need to be placed on any one pitcher.

He emphasized working on outfield defense as well, as that work will go a long way towards slowing down the running game to take better routes. From that, it sounds like there's more interest in keeping Schwarber in LF and improving Soler's defense in right.

That said, I think they go after Heyward. Dave Cameron from Fangraphs thinks the Cubs will go after him as well. If they sign Heyward, which man, I really hope they do, then they could stick him in CF, even if he's been a RF. Or, they trade Soler or Schwarber. In a perfect world, if you're dealing one of those guys, you want Schwarber to get better at being an outfield to not worry about how injury prone Soler has been. Soler has a canon for an arm, but that doesn't do you much good if he's missing half of each season.

• Like 1

The thing about Schwarber is that he's a born DH. The Cubs will probably get greater value trading him to the AL than they will keeping him.

Schwarber could hit 40 HRs a year for them at Wrigley given half a chance. I can't see anyone they trade for being a better value. Sure he's a liability in left, but that offensive pop should more than make up for his obvious deficiencies.

• Like 1

The thing about Schwarber is that he's a born DH. The Cubs will probably get greater value trading him to the AL than they will keeping him.

Schwarber could hit 40 HRs a year for them at Wrigley given half a chance. I can't see anyone they trade for being a better value. Sure he's a liability in left, but that offensive pop should more than make up for his obvious deficiencies.

Manny Ramirez played over 1000 games in LF. Surely Schwarber can be made at least THAT level of defender.

Sure, let's move one of the 10 most valuable players in baseball in Rizzo who is on a great contract.

I am assuming you are factoring in contract status into that status because if you are talking straight MVP type players in baseball - Rizzo isn't even #1 on his own team let alone baseball

Sure, let's move one of the 10 most valuable players in baseball in Rizzo who is on a great contract.

I am assuming you are factoring in contract status into that status because if you are talking straight MVP type players in baseball - Rizzo isn't even #1 on his own team let alone baseball

A: He'd still be top 10, not top player on his team or not. He's very very good, bad post-season or not.

B: It is including contract and service time, or "Trade Value" if you will. Fangraphs had Rizzo as the 7th most valuable trade commodity in baseball at the deadline behind Trout, Harper, Goldscmidt, Bryant, Correa, and Sale. Now no.8 on the list (Machado) probably passed him, but he's still solidly in one of the top 10 hardest players to acquire in a trade in baseball. 

A: He'd still be top 10, not top player on his team or not. He's very very good, bad post-season or not.

B: It is including contract and service time, or "Trade Value" if you will. Fangraphs had Rizzo as the 7th most valuable trade commodity in baseball at the deadline behind Trout, Harper, Goldscmidt, Bryant, Correa, and Sale. Now no.8 on the list (Machado) probably passed him, but he's still solidly in one of the top 10 hardest players to acquire in a trade in baseball. 

I am not disagreeing with you on Point B.

To Point A

Mike Trout

Bryce Harper

Miggy

Paul Goldschmidt

Kris Bryant

Andrew McCutchen

Buster Posey

Josh Donaldson

Andre McCutchenson

Joey Bats

That's 10 right off my head and that's without including pitchers (in case the argument is that pitcher can't be more "valuable" than every day player) or guys I am disqualifying to due to injury concern (Machado and Stanton). I don't see how he can be considered a straight "Top 10"

My issue with the term "valuable" and Rizzo is the position he plays - it's easier to replace 1B than elsewhere.

I mean I am taking Matt Duffy or Carlos Correa over him if factoring in position.

Again - I would love Rizzo on the Yanks and this isn't saying he isn't a great player.

But we all need to pump the breaks on the hyperbole.

*chuckles* okay, I'll be willing to say I overplayed my hand by out right saying he's one of the top 10 out right. He's in the discussion (I personally think Rizzo/Cabrera is a coin flip, and in spite of what WAR says, will say that Rizzo is still better then Bryant as someone who got to watch them play a full season, and would take Rizzo over Bautista outright), but it's not a sure fire lock. 

That said: What it would take to make the Cubs trade Rizzo would be something I'm not sure any team could offer, let alone would willingly. I'd want a young, cost controlled Ace level starting pitcher, PLUS at least something else on top of it. No team would do that, cause A: Those pitchers are bordering on non existant. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Sale, DeGrom, Cole, and Archer. The only one on that list I could even think it's conceivable that could be traded is Sale, and I can't see that happening at all. And B: Out of the few teams who could do that, 2 of them are in direct contention with us in the "Really Talented Young NL Teams race. 

This is a silly post by me, nobody seriously think the Cubs trade a guy like Rizzo who is on a very affordable contract for the next 5 years.