DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

In past years, CW has dropped each season on Netflix the day the next season starts (thus making it impossible to 'catch up' in time for the season premiere without buying discs or downloads). Hopefully shit will be out in August in light of this.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

It affects more than just DC shows, but man, fuck that CW/Netflix deal. No more Hulu for DC shows (or anything else on CW) but as a consolation prize we get faster Netflix releases (but not for this past season, which we still wait til the fall for)

Didn't realize the shows weren't going to be on Hulu anymore. That sucks for my older brother.

Ugh, yeah, ARROW in particular is really difficult for me to keep up with because fo when it airs.  Being able to pick up 3 or 4 episodes at a time as the season goes on via Hulu is a lifesaver.

Finally caught up with Arrow and Flash on Netflix (so not actually caught up, one season to go), and thoughts.

Flash is awesome. Great cast, great characters, well constructed plot. It's so unashamed of it's comic heritage and goes just all in with it all, and it's great. 

Man, Arrow fell off a cliff during season 3. Like the 1st half was still strong stuff, even thought it started in a direction I didn't like. Some specific character thoughts

O

llie, after spending the first half of the season specifically trying to find Sara's killer, then deciding he's going to protect him drove me up a god damned wall. The

a and Roy aren't interesting enough characters for me to give that much of a shit about. Laurel goes through stretches were I really like her, and other times when I just have no thoughts about her.

The high points of the season were the stretches when Ollie wasn't around, as it was the most interesting any of the side cast has been. 

Best character of Season 3 was clearly Nyssa, and I had very little expectation of actually liking her. Ray Palmer was also a welcome addition. 

Ra's was such a gigantic step back from Wilson. Good god.

And the Felicity/Oliver thing... I really love Felicity as a character, and love Ollie too. But man, the writing for that makes it hard to give a quarter of a shit about their relationship. 

I like John Barrowman, and I'm sure he's a delight to have on set, but the lengths to which they've gone to keep Merlyn around are ridiculous.  And every season they do an angle where the faces have to work with him, and every season they end up looking like dopes because of it.

One of the great missed opportunities in the run of the show so far was not keeping Ollie "dead" longer, giving the supporting cast some shine, and really letting things go to shit so it would mean more when he came back.  And with the flashbacks, its not like Amell would've been sitting around with nothing to do for weeks.

• Like 1

Merlyn being around in Season 2 made some sense. Him wanting to train Thea, okay, that works. Ollie stopping his crusade against one of her best friends/ex-girlfriends murderers, even though he's someone who mass murdered hundreds of not thousands of people, just because he's his sisters dad is bullshit. And yeah, he wanted to use him against Ra's, but his entire plan was damned moronic and never even really worked. Grr.

And yeah, the stretch without Ollie I really thought brought home how strong of characters the supporting group was, and was arguably my favorite stretch with Laurel since she became "I wanna fight now!" character. It was actively a downside when they started him among the League bullshit.

Speaking of, yeah, into Season 3 the Ollie in Hong Kong stuff became borderline completely skip worthy. I really dug it in season's 1 and 2, but that ended it.

Now, for Flash. since it's a season back, I won't even spoilery it.

Grant Gustin as Barry Allen was an outstanding casting choice. So was Danielle Panabaker. Heck, so was basically everyone. Not sure i can remember a show were every single major character seems to be 100% perfectly cast. 

I like that they didn't bullshit us. Right from the pilot, you knew exactly who the big bad was. They never hid the big heel turn. And I appreciated that. I was thinking how predictable it was during the pilot who the big bad was, and then they just went to "Yep. He's it!" and I was like "Oh! Cool, don't have to waste time for the obvious turn."

I also love how this show doesn't fuck around about being a Super Hero show. It's not trying to justify how every one of these crazy things makes sense. 

I also can't wait to see how they play of Caitlyn's other identity. No way that doesn't get played up at some point.

Bleeding Cool dropping crazy Arrowverse rumours. Spoilers if true but we'll have to see on that.

Kate Kane coming to Supergirl as Maggie Sawyer's ex and Batwoman, paired with Oracle to form a Black Canary/Power Girl esque Birds of Prey. The possibility of Batman showing up also possible but if so may be Arrowverse-wide as they'd have to pay Fox a licensing fee since Fox has all Batman TV rights as long as a show (currently Gotham) is on the air and/or being sold on DVD as was the tradeoff for Batman 66 being unshackled.

Also JWS' Jay Garrick may get the same kind of CW-wide deal as Merlyn and Captain Cold with Constantine maaaybe to follow, though the CW Seed replays of his show are testing whether a new Matt Ryan Constantine series would pair well with Supernatural for horror themed Fridays and DCTV every weeknight at 8pm.

Some wild stuff there but nothing implausible. Let's see what happens with SDCC.

• Like 1

I'm good with John Wesley Shipp crossing over to other shows.  Didn't know there were plans for John Barrowman to do that, but it makes sense.  It certainly makes more sense than shoehorning Merlyn into Team Arrow for no other reason than they want to keep Barrowman under contract but don't have much for him to actually do.   Though his "hey, it's been six months.  Let's form a tenuous alliance so I can turn on you again" dealie was stupidly amusing.

Not excited at all at the prospect of a Supernatural/Constantine lineup. 

Teasers for all the shows but Supergirl dropped today. Flash in particular will be...interesting.

Also Katie Cassidy signed one of those intershow contracts so we'll see how that happens. Fully 50% of the people with those contracts are playing characters who are dead right now. It'd be neat if they had her play a comics accurate Black Canary from the Supergirl universe getting trapped in the Arrow universe where her mom wasn't Black Canary before her, her parents ate alive, and she has a sister that doesn't exist elsewhere, thus making things weird for everyone. But it'll probably just be a resurrection and/or time shenanigans.

S5 you mean.

Apparently all the CW shows are going to be affected by the Flashpoint event. David Ramsey confirmed at the Arrow panel that Diggle's life is going to be changed a little bit by what happened in the Flash, so you can assume other things will change on that show too. In the teaser for Legends of Tomorrow, apparently the Legion of Doom is formed and it has someone that's not currently with us anymore.

Spoiler

Legion of Doom is Reverse Flash, Merlyn, Damien Dahrk and Captain Cold

2 hours ago, Casey said:

S5 you mean.

Apparently all the CW shows are going to be affected by the Flashpoint event. David Ramsey confirmed at the Arrow panel that Diggle's life is going to be changed a little bit by what happened in the Flash, so you can assume other things will change on that show too. In the teaser for Legends of Tomorrow, apparently the Legion of Doom is formed and it has someone that's not currently with us anymore.

Hide contents

Legion of Doom is Reverse Flash, Merlyn, Damien Dahrk and Captain Cold

I mean, we know from the preview Dahrk is from earlier in his timeline. But 3/4 of those villains are dead in the present of their shows.