DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I have some concerns with Flash.

On the one hand, it's a heroic sacrifice to go back in time, save your mother, and then make the conscious decision to undo that for the sake of the timeline/world/etc. 

On the other hand, it's not. At the end of the day, instead of using every resource at your disposal to find a third option, which is the basic definition of superheroism instead of just heroism, I think, you're doing everything in your power to make sure that your mother gets murdered horrifically. I get that there are hard decisions, but I don't think that fit the tone of the Flash show. I understand it's part of Barry's growth and maturity or whatever else. But you can't step back from that. Even if he saved the day later, he made this decision, sacrificing someone else in a terrible way to fix his mistake. (And it didn't even work right, which makes it worse). 

It could be season 8, lots of triumphs and failures later and Barry's still going to be that guy who made sure his mother got killed horribly because he was a fuck up who couldn't figure out another way. Ollie can kind of get away with that weight but it diminishes the charm of the show for Barry to be carrying it. 

• Like 1

When Barry went back in time at the end of last season all I could think was "Barry, you fucking dumbass"  I'm on board for seeing how he finds a way to fix this, but it's hard to fully sympathize with him.  Maybe he should have instead considered a support group similar to what Cisco was in instead of trying to mess with time.

Even if they had some more indirect way of getting back to this point. I'm not sure what that would be exactly. Maybe if they showed Barry in the Speed Force agreeing to undo what he did and it all just magically happened to undo (mostly). As it was, we went back to the night and saw her about to die, about to get saved, and then about to die again and it was just the wrong thing to focus on.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

Remember that Cisco used a support group only because he can't go back in time. He wanted tot do so and was pushing Barry to do it so not the best example.

I...don't remember that.  If it was in early to mid season 1 I didn't watch it.  I just jumped in a little past halfway and have been watching since.

Either that or if it happened while I was watching then hot damn my memory sucks.

On 10/13/2016 at 1:28 PM, Eivion said:

Remember that Cisco used a support group only because he can't go back in time. He wanted tot do so and was pushing Barry to do it so not the best example.

So, I guess I should mention I wasn't much in the episode yet when I said that.  Didn't realize that would be brought up later on, so my apologies.

Just so we're all on the right page, am I right in remembering that Cisco and Ray treated it as a big deal in Arrow S3 that Deathbolt was a meta who couldn't have been in Central the night of the dark matter storm, but they STILL haven't explained it? Like, all the metas in Flash S2/Arrow S4 were either storm victims or crossed a dimension bridge that didn't exist until the Flash S1 finale, and now we've got Husks?

So just to make sure I haven't missed anything, these are all the Flashpoint retcons, right?

Diggle has a son now instead of a daughter

Cisco's brother is dead

Malfoy works at CCPD now

Caitlin now has her Killer Frost powers

Iron Heights is now a Meta prison

9 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Hide contents

Iris cut Joe out of her life for a year or more because he'd told her her mom died. And Alchemy suddenly exists and Edward Clariss remembers the other timeline, which may not count as "retcons" but are certainly "changes" created by the Flashpoint.

I didn't put the Iris/Joe thing because by the end of the episode they were back to how they were before. I don't remember Alchemy and Clariss ever being shown before Flashpoint, so thats why I didn't include them. 

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Just so we're all on the right page, am I right in remembering that Cisco and Ray treated it as a big deal in Arrow S3 that Deathbolt was a meta who couldn't have been in Central the night of the dark matter storm, but they STILL haven't explained it? Like, all the metas in Flash S2/Arrow S4 were either storm victims or crossed a dimension bridge that didn't exist until the Flash S1 finale, and now we've got Husks?

Saying it was treated as a big deal would be a bit much, but you are remembering correctly.

Well, people jump on Barry for changing it because he's doing it for personal reasons, to fix his fuckups, with the full knowledge that he can fuck things up massively if he does anything, yet he keeps doing it.

The Legends do it because they're preserving history and the overall timeline, often knowing that they have to make little changes to keep as much of the timeline's integrity intact as possible.  Making it so Einstein's ex-wife was credited along with him, while a big change, kept her from being abducted by Nazi's due to Thawne and Dhark's timeline meddeling to keep NYC from being nuked.  

And the Legends are just fucking awesome, although I really dislike Hunter going MIA after being a high level badass this episode (actually, they were all high level badasses, but I digress).  I'm looking forward to the JSA stuff (how the Arrowverse had the JSA and no one bothered to mention it until now is odd) and how Heywood is going to become Citizen Steel.