DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - AUGUST

DEAN

6 games in the Central isn't insurmountable for the Cubs to overcome. Play September as well as they did August, including taking the series with Cards, and they have a shot. Soler and, at least for now, Russell being out sucks, but Russell is only day to day. Soler was on a hot streak though, and you don't want to lose that. I would also love it if the Cubs stopped using Ross and Lester together. That's two automatic outs as is, even with Ross breaking up the perfect game yesterday. Then when you add Castro and Tommy LaStella to the mix, they wind up having 5 guys do all the work.

And as exciting as this season has been (I also think this is the most fun I've had watching the Cubs since the 2003 campaign after acquiring Ramirez and Lofton), next year looks even more exciting, especially if Theo and Jed back up the money truck to Cespedes' house. Oh, and give a QO to Fowler as well. In any event, a lineup with Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber AND Cespedes is just ridiculous, especially when you round that out with guys like Russell, Coghlan and Fowler. And who knows what Javy Baez and Happ bring to the table. Happ, from briefly watching him here in South Bend, looks Schwarber-lite.

• Like 1

See, this is the thing.

The Cubs are 17-4 in August. That's phenomenal. Yet despite playing that well, they've only picked up two games on the Pirates and four on the Cardinals. With 39 games left, if the Cardinals just play .500 ball, the Cubs need to go 27-12 (and have the Pirates go 23-16 or worse) just to force a tie. It's obviously not impossible, but it's a stretch.

• Like 1

That's why taking each series against the Cards is a must. If the Cubs don't do that, then yeah, there's no way in hell they win the division. I'm staying hopeful, but I also realize the wild card game is more than likely.

It will end in a tie with both teams agreeing each other is the best in their respective leagues and splitting everything. They will then announce they're combining into one giant team and moving to Hokkaido, Japan.

220px-Jim_Ross_No_Mercy_2007.jpg

"AWWW, SONUVABITCH!"

The Brewers consider the Milwaukee Braves their history as well for whatever bizarre reason, so we pretend we won a WS, although technically the city did, it just wasn't this franchise in any context or historical linking.

Can the Red Sox also claim the Boston Braves history? 

I have a friend who buys into the whole "history stays with the city" thing. In the above case, the logic is that the city of Milwaukee rooted for the Braves to win that World Series so it's unfair that Atlanta gets to claim it. I mean, it does feel weird to say that the Atlanta Braves were the home team in a World Series played at Fenway Park so I kind of see it. 

I don't give it much thought though since my team has always played in Boston. 

That damn team just couldn't stick with an identity. You get the Boston Beaneaters, no one else.

Atlanta Braves (1966–present)
    Milwaukee Braves (1953–1965)
    Boston Braves (1941–1952)
    Boston Bees (1936–1940)
    Boston Braves (1912–1935)
    Boston Rustlers (1911)
    Boston Doves (1907–1910)
    Boston Beaneaters (1883–1906)
    Boston Red Caps (1876–1882)
    Boston Red Stockings (1871–1875)

Answer this, can the Yankees can claim New York Giants, New York Mets, and Brooklyn Dodgers as a part of their history?  

Same answer for your question. 

This only works if the Yankees had replaced a team that left town.

Answer this, can the Yankees can claim New York Giants, New York Mets, and Brooklyn Dodgers as a part of their history?  

Ugh.   

Can the METS claim NY Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers history?  

That damn team just couldn't stick with an identity. You get the Boston Beaneaters, no one else.

Boston Bees (1936–1940)

Boston Rustlers (1911)

Boston Doves (1907–1910)

Can we also claim Boston Red Caps and Boston Red Stockings too? I mean, they do share our history of being named for red articles of clothing.

And also, I wouldn't personally claim Braves history for the Sox but I would consider Boston Braves history apart of a larger Boston sports history.

Ugh.   

Depends, did the Giants and Dodgers play in the same area of NY as the Mets? :-D Braves and Brewers at least shared a stadium.

Boston Bees (1936–1940)

Boston Rustlers (1911)

Boston Doves (1907–1910)

Can we also claim Boston Red Caps and Boston Red Stockings too? I mean, they do share our history of being named for red articles of clothing.

And also, I wouldn't personally claim Braves history for the Sox but I would consider Boston Braves history apart of a larger Boston sports history.

I claim all teams on Earth as my own and celebrate all their victories. Hooray for everything!

• Like 2

Ugh.   

Depends, did the Giants and Dodgers play in the same area of NY as the Mets? :-D Braves and Brewers at least shared a stadium.

The Mets played at Polo Grounds (where the Giants played) for a year and currently play in Queens, which is the neighboring borough to Brooklyn.

I'm glad this conversation has come up because it allows me to point out that the A's are still Philadelphia's most successful franchise in terms of championships won (not baseball franchise, franchise period) despite being 60 years gone.

:)