DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Neil is the all-wise Yoda of the group, I agree with his recommendations, but since I'm the goof what won't shut up, here's some tips:

1. Definitely join the crew. The car you get for free (the Elegy) is one of the better Sports cars in the game.

2. Try to buy the Bullpup Rifle ASAP - that's a great gun for beginners that wasn't available to lower-level players back in my day.

3. You're probably gonna have to start out doing all the newbie stuff to get some dough/rank up. Most of it's available in a private room. You don't need a public lobby to rob stores, all that does is add to the hassle. Public lobbies are ill-advised for the lower ranks. You will be picked on. There's hardly any money to be made warring with players in a private room.

4. If you're gonna race, try to find races that feature Custom Vehicles off. This puts everyone on the same playing field when it comes to cars. You'll probably not win, but it helps.

5. If you're gonna do a deathmatch, make sure you do one where the weapons are either on Forced or Forced + Pickups. If the weapons are on Owned, you'll have your meager supply of guns and higher-level players will be coming at you with their full arsenal.

6. Don't be afraid of missions and races and whatnot with random people you don't know. It's the only way you'll rank up - get in there and pitch. You'll probably find friendly lower-level players (or at least one working on their second character) and can get into a good groove. One guy probably working on his second character ranked up 5 levels with me last night by doing a bunch of races with me.

7. Learn what cars pay what at Los Santos Customs. Ballers aren't always around. At some point in the future, consider getting an apartment with a garage big enough to store a Baller or two in when they are spawning to sell later. This list is out of date as far as the stats (it doesn't include any of the cars added through DLCs) but is still accurate about what cars bring at Los Santos Customs. http://bit.ly/1aNcXpA

Definitely listen to these guys and don't be like me. I was too stubborn to ever do private rooms. I remember a day (I'm pretty sure I posted about it, but it's not worth digging to find it) where I tried to do Boneyard with Melraz and didn't have enough cash to join it. So yeah, don't be so poor you have to rob a convenience store in order to join a mission to make money.

And speaking of that, whenever you unlock it, Boneyard is a great survival to do. It can easily be done solo if you take cover behind the trailer that's to your right when you spawn.

I don't remember how much RP it gives, but it's an easy 20k. That's how I earned most of my money before I went rogue duping cars and shooting ladies of the night.

Also - they can be a pain but doing solo races will give you some money but more importantly give you large amounts of RP.

You can't "lose" a race by yourself so you are assured of finishing and there is always extra RP for doing something the first time.

And that will help you level up quicker so then more missions and stuff become available for you to do.

Just got done farting around in Freemode. Bless VickyV's heart, we traveled around together for about 5 seconds and drove up on a dot. The dot was a dude on a bicycle, who killed us with a sticky bomb. When I respawned, I'm like "that's his ass right there" grabbed the first car I saw and drove off in a hurry. Have no clue where VickyV went.

I followed dude until I stopped to try to snipe him and saw another dot instead, so I sniped him. I then paused to kill him a couple of times before he left. Then I got distracted by Kill Target. Then it was back to the dude on the bike, who was in a car by this time. He wasn't in a car for long, thanks to a sticky bomb. 

Earlier I blew up two dudes working together about five or six times until they decided they'd work together somewhere else.

The PS3 crew is pretty dead though. 

We're not dead, we're playing Destiny. We can come back to GTA if we're needed. Both of us (nb: the active members of the PS3 crew are Excallq (Cristobal) and AxBloodTheory (me)*. Plus a guy called Fenrir Havoc, who's in the crew but not (he wears his Howling Coffin tags all the time; I'm in Howling Coffin but wear my DVDR tags all the time). Neil and Reggie and GLFpunk and them basically stopped playing a few months ago. It's no fun without a headset, apparently).

If you're heading into GTA Online, let us know if you need backup. We're killing machines.

* And a guy called VolkHan0, but he doesn't play with us.

Dear fellow Horsemen:

Since we're the only ones still playing this game, I felt I should address this straight to you.

I've been playing this game the better part of a year now, and I just saw the damndest thing. I'm amazed. I was doing missions with randoms when it basically boiled down to me and this other dude. We proceeded to tear up every mission we found until we got cornered into a steal-a-cargobob mission, and I don't do those with randoms no matter how solid the random is.

Anyhoo, we did "Satellite Communications," the one that's pretty tricky where you have to go to the radio tower above the Vinewood sign, shoot a bunch of dudes, go down a hill and then take on just a shitload of Lost on motorcycles. Usually someone drives the tractor-trailer and a passenger shoots the motorcycle guys. It's doable, but tricky.

This dude jumps on top of the trailer part of the 18-wheeler and proceeds to surf that sumbitch the way we do with ambulances, just mowing fuckers down with his machine gun (since he has access to all his weapons when he's not in the cab). I was like "this fucker's gonna fall off at any second, oh well," but he only did once when he hit his head on an overpass long after we were clear of the Lost guys near the end of the mission.

We then did "Coasting," where you shoot a bunch of dudes down at the coast, then steal a white box truck and try to get past a shitload of enemy cars that spawn while you're trying to go up a hill. You guessed it, fucker rode on top of the box truck and just rained death upon our foes while I drove. 

I had to message dude after I quit out of the voting screen to tell him how awesome that was. I never thought that'd work in a million years, but that's pretty much the way to do it.

• Like 1

I plan on joining Titans tonight... if anyone is on.

I mean last night - even though JT and I were playing Destiny - we only saw two other people online period. So it's not like we are just actively ignoring the crew.

I mean last night - even though JT and I were playing Destiny - we only saw two other people online period. So it's not like we are just actively ignoring the crew.

I am all aboard.  I haven't put down GTA5 quite yet; not while I still have story missions to do.

I'm just poking fun at the Destiny players out there, ignore anyone all you wish. I can't tell you who to sock it to. Game's a year old, shit. I expected something to come along and steal its thunder before then. When Titanfall and Watchdogs didn't do it and the whole world seemed to go apeshit over the Destiny beta, I thought "yep, this is it."

The only reason I'm not right there with you (I could stand a new game) is that I just don't like first-person shooters. And even the Horsemen are winding down - the only reason I've been on as much as I have is because I've been on vacation and can't afford to go out and do anything.

And the people playing the game are getting old - I love to get on and race. I should buy a racing game, I guess, but I love the racing part of online. Problem is, EVERYONE is trying to PIT you. People in 16th are PITing you for 15th. It's insane. It's like the game deliberately brings out the worst in everyone. I think so many people spend so much time with someone's thumbs on their heads that it's soothing to get to go somewhere and be a complete dick to a stranger.

Not that I'm an advocate of wearing flowers in my hair, I just wish people would turn down the obnoxious a bit.

Oh so is online not just getting a crew together to do heists and whatnot? Is it pretty much a MMORPG? My username is spiderrembrandt if you want to add me to the crew but as I said, doubt I'll be on til I've finished the actual game

There are no heists. We on the XBox side just get together to do missions (which are kinda like heists, I guess), races, deathmatches (shooting each other) and whatnot. We used to do a lot of plane races until I kept dominating them and winning every time.

You're on PS3, right? Does someone from the PS3 side of things have to send him an invite?

• Like 2

Damn Stout, how did we never think to try vehicle surfing during missions? You guys came up with it in freemode, yet none of us translated it to missions.

I think our creative juices must only start flowing when we're being dicks to people.

On that subject, my favorite by a country mile is going into passive covered in sticky bombs to drag people out of glitched areas.

"Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick..."

• Like 1

The first thing I thought of was "Melraz is gonna love this" and the second was "why didn't we think of this before?"

And I'm learning to really hate that glitch by the right-hand Los Santos customs under the bridge. People are in that constantly. Problem wth it is that you have to use a dumpster, pretty much, to get up into the glitch and the first thing the glitcher does is blow the dumpster out of the way. So basically if you want in the gitch, you have to put another dumpster there or get in on the hood of a car. Try driving a car down there, though, and you're gonna get shot.

I think the best strategy for that one is to disengage. I was gonna see if I could stick a barrel of a tank up the glitch's ass when someone was in it yesterday, but I don't think it would work well. I love blowing up people in that parking garage glitch.

Oh so is online not just getting a crew together to do heists and whatnot? Is it pretty much a MMORPG? My username is spiderrembrandt if you want to add me to the crew but as I said, doubt I'll be on til I've finished the actual game

There are no heists. We on the XBox side just get together to do missions (which are kinda like heists, I guess), races, deathmatches (shooting each other) and whatnot. We used to do a lot of plane races until I kept dominating them and winning every time.

You're on PS3, right? Does someone from the PS3 side of things have to send him an invite?

I think it is still open but me or one of the lieutenants has to approve.

CreativeControl, you need to go to the link in my signature and create a Rockstar Social Club account - you can request to join the crew from there. Kind of a hassle but the swag makes up for it.

• Like 1

I'm gonna try to get on for Titans tonight.  Not sure, though. Life's been getting in the way, so I haven't played anything for a while.  Haven't even got round to taking Destiny out of the box yet.

I'm really disappointed in us for not thinking of surfing the larger vehicles in missions that require them.  I surfed another ambulance in freemode last week, after a guy tried to run me down in it.  I love doing that.

Stout, I was doing stuff around the house with my wife while playing. My attention was elsewhere.

I'll try and get on Titans tonight.

No, that was my fault. I got the bloodlust when that dude on the bike killed us. You know how sometimes you just have to have a revenge kill, even if it''s just one kill? I had to, just had to. That was satisfying when that sticky bomb landed on his hood.

We have this oddly schizophrenic playing style - I'm off on a whim Killing Target or getting Simeon cars, and you're liable to join a mission at any time. 

I'm gonna try to get on for Titans tonight.  Not sure, though. Life's been getting in the way, so I haven't played anything for a while.  Haven't even got round to taking Destiny out of the box yet.

I'm really disappointed in us for not thinking of surfing the larger vehicles in missions that require them.  I surfed another ambulance in freemode last week, after a guy tried to run me down in it.  I love doing that.

You surfing dude's ambulance near the construction site while he ran up and down the road like his ass was on fire was hilarious. "Get it off me! Get it off me!" Plus I knew it wasn't going to end well for dude (and it didn't).

I would be on like I use to but work is kickin my ass. I've actually surfed a time or 2 in missions But kept hittin them dalm red lights. If the choo choo callers don't call me to go play choo choo imma try to get on tonight. Probably late though after the boss lady goes to bed.

And yeah stout between you winnin the plane races and Burke winnin the motorcycle races nobody stands a chance.

• Like 1

Apparently hackers in Freemode are spawning crates in people's garages to destroy their cars, and making people's weapons and money disappear. Watch yourselves.

I've had a railcar pop up in my garage on a couple of occasions now, and it doesn't do anything to the cars. You do have to call your mechanic to use them, though - obviously since they're not there, you can't drive them out of the garage.

Making weapons and money disappear is new. I'll have to hear what the Scuzzlebutt (check the TNA news thread for explanation of that joke) is on the GTA forums.

Been seeing more hackers/modders lately, but I think it's because less people are playing the game. The ratio of modders to non-modders lowered.