DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

This is amazing.  Camp WWE y'all.  Lifted from the Observer:

Executive Producers Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, Eric Towner and John Harvatine and casting directors Ruth Lambert and Robert McGee are looking for voice over work for the taping of "Camp WWE" cartoon for the WWE network. The shows will be taped on 8/9 in Los Angeles and all those doing voice work will be paid $906. It will be a non-union shoot. The characters are very much an interesting twist because it so much involves the reality of the organization right now. The head of the camp is Vince McMahon, who is supposed to be 50 years old, a big brash, egomaniacal billionaire as well as a loving father who hates complaining campers and ass kissing subordinates, but loves money and power and is always thinking of new ways to run down his competition. The character is described and scripted with this line that you'll just love: "Clearly, the most intelligent character on the show." Triple H, also called Hunter, is a 14-15 year old Co-head camp counselor, tough and intimidating, a vindictive prankster who is always trying to get the respect of Vince McMahon and always trying to win the love of his daughter. He considers himself to be highly intelligent "but still has a long way to go." Stephanie is the other Co-head camp counselor, 14-15 years old. She has all of her father's traits, arrogant, intimidating, ruthless, but lacks the maturity to get the job done. She tries to run the camp but runs to her father at the first sign of trouble. "She's beautiful, bold, confrontational and fearless." John Cena plays an eight year old, the "most adorable, cheery, upbeat boy scout type," a cute goody two-shoes who will do anything to bring happiness to other campers. But even though he's a great kid, he's a polarizing figure at the camp who is sometimes used by others to do their dirty work and annoys people because he never gives up at anything and is always trying to inspire others. Undertaker is the scariest eight-year-old, a large gothic kid obsessed with death and mystical powers. His character is based on, you'll love this, Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy with a touch of Satin thrown in. Big Show is a big, dumb and gentle eight year old. He's both childlike and monstrous in size. He doesn't understand his own strength, nor the meaning of any word with more than two syllables. They want him to be an eight-year-old Homer Simpson. Mark Henry is "African American" (thank God for that), who loves girls and food. He brags that he knows everything about women, except it comes out he knows nothing about women, but he's the strongest eight-year-old in the world. Hulk Hogan is a camp legend who is huge, powerful and charismatic, but tired from being old and being from a different era, but he still tries to connect with everyone by calling them "brother." Brie Bella is cunning, cute and sneaky. Nikki Bella is the tomboy of the twin sisters, and has the best body of all the women campers. Sometimes they switch places on unsuspecting campers. Ric Flair is five years older than everyone else in camp, rides in limos and jet planes, is cocky, always styling and profiling, and he's the dirtiest kid in camp who shocks Vince McMahon with stories of his sexual conquests. The comedy is when they make the rich kid live in the wild with nature, so he's the pampered rich kid character being taken out of his environment. R-Truth is another African-American, who is neither big nor bright, but he's funny and drives people crazy with his misguided theories on why things are what they are, but he's also the most gullible camper who always gives you second and third hand information that is almost impossible to believe, which is ironic because his name is "Truth."

• Like 2

I feel like there really needs to be a new update to wrestling terms after how so many of them have changed over recent years. I'll start:

Buried - Not being pushed to the specifications of my fantasy booking

Jobber - A wrestler I like who does not win every one of their matches

• Like 8

Executive Producers Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, Eric Towner and John Harvatine and casting directors Ruth Lambert and Robert McGee are looking for voice over work for the taping of "Camp WWE" cartoon for the WWE network. The shows will be taped on 8/9 in Los Angeles and all those doing voice work will be paid $906. It will be a non-union shoot. The characters are very much an interesting twist because it so much involves the reality of the organization right now. The head of the camp is Vince McMahon, who is supposed to be 50 years old, a big brash, egomaniacal billionaire as well as a loving father who hates complaining campers and ass kissing subordinates, but loves money and power and is always thinking of new ways to run down his competition. The character is described and scripted with this line that you'll just love: "Clearly, the most intelligent character on the show." Triple H, also called Hunter, is a 14-15 year old Co-head camp counselor, tough and intimidating, a vindictive prankster who is always trying to get the respect of Vince McMahon and always trying to win the love of his daughter. He considers himself to be highly intelligent "but still has a long way to go." Stephanie is the other Co-head camp counselor, 14-15 years old. She has all of her father's traits, arrogant, intimidating, ruthless, but lacks the maturity to get the job done. She tries to run the camp but runs to her father at the first sign of trouble. "She's beautiful, bold, confrontational and fearless." John Cena plays an eight year old, the "most adorable, cheery, upbeat boy scout type," a cute goody two-shoes who will do anything to bring happiness to other campers. But even though he's a great kid, he's a polarizing figure at the camp who is sometimes used by others to do their dirty work and annoys people because he never gives up at anything and is always trying to inspire others. Undertaker is the scariest eight-year-old, a large gothic kid obsessed with death and mystical powers. His character is based on, you'll love this, Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy with a touch of Satin thrown in. Big Show is a big, dumb and gentle eight year old. He's both childlike and monstrous in size. He doesn't understand his own strength, nor the meaning of any word with more than two syllables. They want him to be an eight-year-old Homer Simpson. Mark Henry is "African American" (thank God for that), who loves girls and food. He brags that he knows everything about women, except it comes out he knows nothing about women, but he's the strongest eight-year-old in the world. Hulk Hogan is a camp legend who is huge, powerful and charismatic, but tired from being old and being from a different era, but he still tries to connect with everyone by calling them "brother." Brie Bella is cunning, cute and sneaky. Nikki Bella is the tomboy of the twin sisters, and has the best body of all the women campers. Sometimes they switch places on unsuspecting campers. Ric Flair is five years older than everyone else in camp, rides in limos and jet planes, is cocky, always styling and profiling, and he's the dirtiest kid in camp who shocks Vince McMahon with stories of his sexual conquests. The comedy is when they make the rich kid live in the wild with nature, so he's the pampered rich kid character being taken out of his environment. R-Truth is another African-American, who is neither big nor bright, but he's funny and drives people crazy with his misguided theories on why things are what they are, but he's also the most gullible camper who always gives you second and third hand information that is almost impossible to believe, which is ironic because his name is "Truth."

I do voice over. Anybody want to act as my agent and pitch me for this?

• Like 1

So much of WWE's product just does nothing for me nowadays, one way or the other.  I can't bring myself to get worked up about it since it wouldn't really make a difference.  Fortunately, there's enough wrestling to watch that there's no reason to dwell on one promotion.  Yes, I should probably quit watching, but God knows I've got some kind of mental disorder or whatever the hell it is.

• Like 2

I feel like there really needs to be a new update to wrestling terms after how so many of them have changed over recent years. I'll start:

Buried - Not being pushed to the specifications of my fantasy booking

Jobber - A wrestler I like who does not win every one of their matches

Hell yes. "Buried", especially, is vastly overused.

I do voice over. Anybody want to act as my agent and pitch me for this?

Sure, but I want 20% of all future earnings for life.  

Ok...Verne.

AWA HUMOR! OLD SCHOOL!!!

• Like 1

Are we talking about this quote from Meltzer?

"To again explain this: there were two schools of thought on Kevin Owens from the start and the basic gist was that some people thought that he was going to make it and some people thought he wasn't going to make it, and those who thought he wasn't going to make it made sure that he got every opportunity to make it or else they would be wrong. You know what I mean? I shouldn't say they would be wrong, they wouldn't prove that they were right. So now whether he makes it or he doesn't make it, there is a game going on and we're in the middle of the game."

Because that quote adds up to less than nothing.  Some people don't like him, and some people do.  Some people don't want to see him make it and are trying to sabotage him because it would make them look like they were wrong.  Some people do like him and are trying to see him succeed because it would make them look like they were right.  Some guys aren't rooting for other guys to succeed, while others are.  Some water is wet.

• Like 2

Is this supposed to be for kids or adults? The whole thing sounds like it's supposed to be for children, but then at the very end they throw in a line about Ric Flair's sexual exploits.

"To again explain this: there were two schools of thought on Kevin Owens from the start and the basic gist was that some people thought that he was going to make it and some people thought he wasn't going to make it, and those who thought he wasn't going to make it made sure that he got every opportunity to make it or else they would be wrong. You know what I mean? I shouldn't say they would be wrong, they wouldn't prove that they were right. So now whether he makes it or he doesn't make it, there is a game going on and we're in the middle of the game."

Because that quote adds up to less than nothing.  Some people don't like him, and some people do.  Some people don't want to see him make it and are trying to sabotage him because it would make them look like they were wrong.  Some people do like him and are trying to see him succeed because it would make them look like they were right.  Some guys aren't rooting for other guys to succeed, while others are.  Some water is wet.

No, it is not that quote.

Uhhh didn't you get the memo you're supposed to put your "God damn it Vince just die already!!!" glasses on before you read anything like that.

Did they just realize Owens is a dude of size?  They hired the guy looking like that because he's a great wrestler with charisma to burn.  The guy lost a little weight but he's never going to look like Vince's fantasy man.  It's not like he was thin and then packed on 20lbs after he showed up on TV.  This is WWE in a nutshell.  No set direction...make a move and then change direction on it a few weeks later.  Vince is a fucking loon.  

Pretty much this. It's entirely baffling. The only thing I can surmise is this: Owens was a HHH hire, he made enough noise to receive a call up even though the expectation was that he would crash and burn since he doesn't fit the profile for Vince's ideal wrestler, Owens doesn't fall on his face and Vince changes direction anyway. So like you said, why even given him the opportunity? I would rather he stay in NXT.

Not for nothing, but I think Owens pretty clearly has put back on a lot of the weight that he lost for his debut on NXT. I know in the NXT thread people have said he had a knee injury and he couldn't work out or something, but it doesn't change the fact that he actually has become bigger since his debut.

The problem that we have as people who watch a lot of wrestling is that we inherently see the long game. We have either grown up watching stories play out over months and years, or we pine for those glories days by watching DVD comps. There is so much more TV now than there was back in 1988 that stories being played out at that pace is almost impossible. Therefore the WWE bookers/writers/Vince/Kevin Dunn/Whomever comes across as vindictive, out of touch and reactionary. Really, they just are doing what they need to to answer to shareholders and board members who are wondering why ratings are down and whatever else. Patience isn't something they can preach, let alone practice. I'm not going to sit here and say I don't occasionally roll my eyes or feel like a better course of action could have been taken with a given wrestler, but I think we should put ourselves in their shoes a little bit more often than we do. It's like when people wonder aloud why NXT is so much better than Raw without ever thinking "because writing one hour of TV a week is a whole lot easier than writing three".

I'm not here to convince anyone they are wrong about how they feel, but I think people should take a deep breath and remember that not everyone gets the Goldberg push (nor should they). The great thing about wrestling right now is that for the first time in a long time, the cream rises to the top. If Owens is as good as advertised, he will have no problem remaining a threat, or cycling down for a bit and becoming a threat again quite quickly. Like Big Fresh pointed out, Cesaro can do it. Ambrose can do it. I'm sure once Rollins drops the belt he will move back down for a bit. If you thought the end game for the Cena/Owens feud was for Owens to have two decisive wins against John Cena, two titles and to be the new top heel on Raw and NXT leading to a new boom period, you really have no one to blame but yourself for feeling cheated.    

So much of WWE's product just does nothing for me nowadays, one way or the other. I can't bring myself to get worked up about it since it wouldn't really make a difference. Fortunately, there's enough wrestling to watch that there's no reason to dwell on one promotion. Yes, I should probably quit watching, but God knows I've got some kind of mental disorder or whatever the hell it is.

I feel like you've posted this a few thousand times.

• Like 1

Silverman%252520meme_thumb%25255B3%25255

• Like 1

No, it is not that quote.

So what quote are we talking about then?

I don't often agree with Vince's idea of what a wrestler should look like, but I'm kinda in agreement with him on Owens.  He's had a couple months of amazing character work and good matches with Cena (who generally has good matches with everyone.  Not that he's a good worker or anything.  That can't be it).  As Kevin Steen, he had about four years in ROH where he was basically unwatchable (for me, anyway).  The SCUM angle killed whatever enjoyment I was still getting out of ROH at that point.

I've enjoyed Owens so far but there's undoubtedly guys who could get plugged into his spot and do just as well.

So much of WWE's product just does nothing for me nowadays, one way or the other. I can't bring myself to get worked up about it since it wouldn't really make a difference. Fortunately, there's enough wrestling to watch that there's no reason to dwell on one promotion. Yes, I should probably quit watching, but God knows I've got some kind of mental disorder or whatever the hell it is.

Well, you're an asshole, yet you keep feeling the need to remind people about that.

• Like 3

This is amazing. Camp WWE y'all. Lifted from the Observer:

Is this supposed to be for kids or adults? The whole thing sounds like it's supposed to be for children, but then at the very end they throw in a line about Ric Flair's sexual exploits.

That's why it would be the greatest show of all-time. John Cena would overcome the camp bully without resorting to violence. And say, "See gang? Look at what we can accomplish through the power of positivity!"

And then Ric Flair would pop in and say, "Woo! I just tongue-punched your Mom's rusty wagon wheel! Woo!"

I'd watch forever.

• Like 4

Silverman%252520meme_thumb%25255B3%25255

Are we just gonna ignore this amazing typo? 

• Like 3

Well, you're an asshole, yet you keep feeling the need to remind people about that.

That didn't take long to get out of hand.

• Like 2